Firmware 1.3.0 is out

just had mine up hover said 18mph winds local weather said 21
that thing was real solid in the wind and video was dang good considering how it was getting beat up
even sounds different in the air

Rich,

Yeah, I got one chance after the firmware update and I noticed two things (not enough testing for any conclusions yet). First, my GPS normally locks almost immediately with 8 or more Sats. On my little test flight it came up with 4 and took a few minutes to get to 8. Second, I took off with 8 Sats in GPS mode, got it up about 20' or so to let it hover, it was all over the place. Good 10-15' swath. Made me nervous enough that I put it in manual and landed it. Rebooted everything, went up again with 8 Sats, got to 13 pretty quickly but did seem to be, as you said "floatier". I didn't conclude anything from it because it was such a quick test and I wanted to wait for the new app anyway. Maybe a level and compass cal is in order with these updates. Just thought I'd throw it out there.

Jerry
I updated but my gimbal flashes yellow and is limp.

Just got a reply from 3DR about my hero 4 not charging anymore, they say it's a change so the solo battery is used for flying... I'm not too impressed now I'm going to have to carry spare GoPro batteries

Really? That sucks hard. They should have made it an option instead of turning it back off

Unless it's really sucking it down. My first flight on the new fw I probably was looking at a 25pc improvement. But I put it down to 3mile return with no wind where normally there is some,

Maybe it's making a big difference where calcs say it shouldn't (especially if you start with a full GoPro battery)

Last edited:
That's really lame as the GoPro barely sucks ANY power. Maybe 30 seconds off flight time from those massive batteries. Yes, make it an OPTION. It would also be nice if they would list these types of changes in the changelogs.

I flew last night with the update (1.3) without any issues. Update allows video in 4K and ability to go to camera mode and take stills on the 12megapixels, and switch back to 4K video (or 2.7K if camera is setup this way), this being on the H4B.

Before update camera mode had to be 1080p video and burst stills or shots with both preset buttons pushed. Nice change but I didn't notice any other changes.

Dash, if you are on iOS, there is also an app update that gives you a lot more camera options. The Android version should be out any day. However, I was always to shoot in 4k on my H4B...you just had to set it manually on the GP.

I noticed a different sound also, smoother sorta, not the thrashing sound as before, like the esc's are smoother instead of on "on'off " sounds

I flew two batteries on 11/202/15 after the FW and app updates to 1.3.0. First battery flew fine. Changed locations to an open area at a lake to fly the second battery. I flew across the lake and on the way back I noticed the camera tilt left then right then back level. The bird was out about 1000' and the tilting on the iPhone screen caught my eye. It happened so fast I did not see if the bird was tilting or the gimbal. I assume it was the gimbal as when I bank hard the camera stays level. I flew it over to me and it was acting fine. I flew it down the lake about 2200' and back with no other problems. I did not calibrate after the updates. I will before I fly again. I have not downloaded the logs.

Anybody have this quick camera tilt? Anyone know what may have caused this?

UPDATE: 11/23/15 I flew two more batteries this afternoon and on the first power up the gimbal began to squeal so I rebooted Solo. The second boot up no GPS. Waited three minutes and zero satellites. Rebooted again and got GPS lock in 1 minute. I flew Loiter, Altitude Hold and Drift with no issues. I used selfie and cable cam with no issues. The gimbal/Solo never tilted like it did on the 20th.

I never had any problems before this update and have flown 16 batteries since getting my Solo on 8/21/15.

Last edited:
I was able to install the app and while looking at the settings, after about 4 to 5 minutes I got message on the Solo app stating: Invalid GoPro Model.

invalid camera model detected
please check your GoPro model
and update your selection.

I was never able to get it working again. I can change the photo settings but the video stings are geyed out.
Has any seen this happen and if yes how did you get it working again?
All suggestions are welcome.

Reactions: Nick F

I have the same probleem with Androis system and Gopro4 Black

Anyone knows a solution? I filed a ticket to 3DR

I have the GoPro firmware update required message... the Hero 4 Black is at the latest firmware, camera controls greyed out..

I used to get the message Update your GoPro every once in a while before 1.2.0 and I would reseat the camera in the gimbal to clear the error. It was as if the connector was not making full contact will all the pins. I haven't seen it yet with 1.3.0. Try removing and inserting the GoPro that always worked for me with my 4 Silver.

I used to get the message Update your GoPro every once in a while before 1.2.0 and I would reseat the camera in the gimbal to clear the error. It was as if the connector was not making full contact will all the pins. I haven't seen it yet with 1.3.0. Try removing and inserting the GoPro that always worked for me with my 4 Silver.
That has been my experience as well...I'm on 1.3.0 FW, but have not gone to 1.3.0 App yet... GP4B And should say, it hasn't been a problem since...

Last edited:
I got this message when I went to new fw before 1.3 for android. Then tried Ios which was at 1.3, no message. Booted yesterday with 1.3 for android, no message.

Camera was in and out in between. So one of those two. Camera reseat, or boot with iOS fixed it. Camera reseat more likely.

But I did get the message originally on new fw, now gone. So it's definetly fixable without flashing the GoPro to defaults (which is what I did last fw update to fix it).

Maybe also since both apps ios/android ask you to select model on 1st connect, could be wrapped up in that too. So if you've not been asked, maybe uninstall and reinstall app.

Try reseat GoPro 1st

I'm using gp4b

cycle power on GoPro while Solo is connected to controller and app
This helps 100% in my case when ever this message appears or the Record button is greyed out. Solo FW1.3, Android 1.3 app, GoPro 4B

Reactions: Nick F
Thank you everyone for your feedback. After doing multiple tests, I think I encountered 2 issues.

1. This could be related with the seating and/or power cycling of the GoPro as some of you mentioned. This was probably the case when I first encountered the issue. I remember it worked for about 4 to 5 minutes at my desk while I just updated the app. when the issue happens I can still change the settings for still images but not for video. I can start/stop the video and take still images anytime. I went to sleep since it was already late

2.Next day I brought my gear to the office and changed my GoPro to time lapse. Since this can't be done from the Solo app I did it manually. This would definitely be a good feature to be added to the app for the future so you don't have to take you camera off during flights and battery change and doing different shots! I just confirmed that being in time lapse disables your video settings. when I switched back to "regular" video mode, all my settings are now accessible. So that explains I guess I was seeing. Maybe I expected too much.

I noticed in some of the seen shot when this was announce that there was spot metering and EV comp option in the app which I don't see. (Announcing Solo App Version 1.3: GoPro control | 3DR | Drone & UAV Technology)

Does anyone of you see these options?
Thanks again everyone for pointing me into the right direction.

Attachments

• video options.png
    video options.png
    331.9 KB · Views: 15
I have the GoPro firmware update required message... the Hero 4 Black is at the latest firmware, camera controls greyed out..

I had the same thing, shut off, and needed to restart several times. Now it is fine.

If you have black video feed, make sure setting is 1080, 60 fps. On one of the shut down/ restarts the GoPro (Hero 4 Black) setting automatically was pushed from 2.7k to 1080, 60 fps and I had a video feed.

Just a heads up!

3DR answered very quickly:

"try to force shutting down the app and powering cycle the Solo and Controller, also make sure you have the latest firmware for your Go Pro"

Now my GoPro is fully updated, I reset it as well but still not luck.
Wht is exactly "powering Cycle"?
Thanks!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44