Cant get rid of vibrations, maybe its not your cable

Del,

Yeah, look's like you installed APM Planner 2.0 not Mission Planner. You should be able to just uninstall it and reinstall Mission Planner.

Jerry
I agree Jerry...I just uninstall my original MP and just installed the one you have... And now it looks just like yours :)
But now I'm just trying to figure out what port numbers should I be using When selecting UDP?

your world just opened up.
My next step is to see if I can grab the logs during my motor tests to see what king of amp draw is happening along with testing for vibration
I sure wish MP had some way to accelerate the motors from like 20% to 100% and back down so we could balance across the power band

Reactions: Del
Okay guys (smarter than me), I found an Android app that I could run on my Tab 4 and place on my battery. I can at least expand the graph enough to see what's going on. Motor 03 looks like an issue to me. Motor 04, which is the only one that has a piece of tape on it looks the best to me.

Would love to get some thoughts. The Z axis is the bluish line. I ran the motors for 5 seconds each at 50%. What do you guys see?

Jerry

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
I'm not sure what that means. Without any numbers for values, I guess all you can do is balance until the height of the lines are as short as possible. I.E.- a straight line would be the best you could hope for.

I'm not sure what that means. Without any numbers for values, I guess all you can do is balance until the height of the lines are as short as possible. I.E.- a straight line would be the best you could hope for.

Maddog,

Yeah, that's going to be the next step but if you watch the video and look at the chart for motor 03 you'll see that there is something going on that isn't consistent with the other three motors. On the graph it almost looks like some sort of pulsation. Like a string of beads, not a consistent path. Go look at it again, you'll see what I mean.

The test was done in series, four 5-second bursts, one for each motor. I can't get rid of that pulse no matter what I do with any tape. I'm wondering if there is something wrong with that motor or even the ESC. I'm hoping someone here has a better understanding of what's going on.

Thanks for the reply,

Jerry

Maddog,

Yeah, that's going to be the next step but if you watch the video and look at the chart for motor 03 you'll see that there is something going on that isn't consistent with the other three motors. On the graph it almost looks like some sort of pulsation. Like a string of beads, not a consistent path. Go look at it again, you'll see what I mean.

The test was done in series, four 5-second bursts, one for each motor. I can't get rid of that pulse no matter what I do with any tape. I'm wondering if there is something wrong with that motor or even the ESC. I'm hoping someone here has a better understanding of what's going on.

Thanks for the reply,

Jerry
I saw that, but I know of no way to determine what is causing it. Perhaps it's not a balance issue but an electrical one- maybe some wonky electrical pulse causing the motor to pulse?

I guess that would require hooking the electrical leads to the motor to some kind of diagnostic equipment. I know there's at least one engineer on here that would know better than I.

By the way, I have 2 motors that produce a "wave" that is almost flat- not much up & down. The other two have much bigger waves but they are not the same. One has the peaks & valleys much closer than the other motor. I have no idea what that means. I'll try balancing those 2 first.

Also the 2 with small waves make somewhat odd noises compared to the other two. If I guessed by sound, I would have thought these 2 needed balancing, not the other two...if that's what they need.o_O

Also the 2 with small waves make somewhat odd noises compared to the other two. If I guessed by sound, I would have thought these 2 needed balancing, not the other two...if that's what they need.o_O

Yeah, I here you. This is my first motor balance so I'm kind of fumbling my way through based on recommendations found here. That's why I did the recordings, I'm trying to learn as much as I can. Just can't discern whether I'm traveling down the right road.

I told someone here yesterday that I didn't want to go chasing down a Badger hole during this process. Not only did I chase down the hole but I met up with the Badger and right now he's ripping me to shreds! :mad:

Thanks for the reply,

Jerry

Jerry, here's what I'm going to do: pick one of the two "less balanced" motors.
Take a small (1/4"X1/4") piece of metal foil tape and stick it on the side of the motor. I already have a set of baseline numbers from each motor.
Run motor @50% for 5 sec. Look for change in numbers. If no change, might need another piece of tape on top of first.
Re-run test. Assuming the numbers change, move tape a short distance left or right and repeat test.
If numbers get worse (higher) move tape in opposite direction until they get better. Repeat until they won't go any lower. Leave tape there.
Now you can experiment with more/less tape or moving tape higher/lower on motor.

Be patient- looks like this can be time consuming.

If anybody has any tips, tricks, or corrections please speak up- I don't want to reinvent the wheel here.:D

Reactions: J R
Yeah, I here you. This is my first motor balance so I'm kind of fumbling my way through based on recommendations found here. That's why I did the recordings, I'm trying to learn as much as I can. Just can't discern whether I'm traveling down the right road.

I told someone here yesterday that I didn't want to go chasing down a Badger hole during this process. Not only did I chase down the hole but I met up with the Badger and right now he's ripping me to shreds! :mad:

Thanks for the reply,

Jerry
Hey, just look at all the new things you're learning! :rolleyes:

Jerry, here's what I'm going to do:

Be patient- looks like this can be time consuming.

Maddog,

Have you read through this whole thread? I spent all night last night doing just that! it's not as easy as it appears with the apps that I've tried (at least a half dozen). If you didn't see it, Earl posted a "how-to" video on the first page of this thread. ;)

Jerry

Hey, just look at all the new things you're learning! :rolleyes:

Yeah, I'm learning alright, now I've got motor pod 03 out giving it a look see. I'd like to swap motor pods 03 and 04 just to see if the problem follows the pod. I think I'll wait until some of the experienced guys (hopefully) chime in. I don't want to get everything confused in case someone has some thoughts.

Jerry

If you set the motor test to 5%, you'll hear multiple tones from the motors. All tones are a motor drive pulses. There are two blips towards the last of the 5 or 6 tones. Same tones before the final tone. When you drive up the motors to 50% we stop hearing these tones, for the most part. But they are still there, we've just upped the throttle. Those pulses can be seen in the recorded data if your looking for them. Anyway, the point is to run your test for at least 7 seconds, 10 would be better if your visually watching the sine wave. You really want to capture seconds 2-4 of a 7 second sequence, the clear motor run pulse. Play around with the 5% setting to locate the no tone zone.

More than you wanted to know I'm sure, just run the motor test longer than two seconds to get a smooth sequence to sample. And then just sample for two seconds....

Are you confused yet?

Maddog,

Have you read through this whole thread? I spent all night last night doing just that! it's not as easy as it appears with the apps that I've tried (at least a half dozen). If you didn't see it, Earl posted a "how-to" video on the first page of this thread. ;)

Jerry
I thought I read it- I can't remember now. I have seen lots of how to videos tho!

Yeah, I'm learning alright, now I've got motor pod 03 out giving it a look see. I'd like to swap motor pods 03 and 04 just to see if the problem follows the pod. I think I'll wait until some of the experienced guys (hopefully) chime in. I don't want to get everything confused in case someone has some thoughts.

Jerry
Jerry I like your thinking...Be curious to know if it does follow the motor. I would do a swap between matched direction motors however....

If you set the motor test to 5%, you'll hear multiple tones from the motors. All tones are a motor drive pulses. There are two blips towards the last of the 5 or 6 tones. Same tones before the final tone. When you drive up the motors to 50% we stop hearing these tones, for the most part. But they are still there, we've just upped the throttle. Those pulses can be seen in the recorded data if your looking for them. Anyway, the point is to run your test for at least 7 seconds, 10 would be better if your visually watching the sine wave. You really want to capture seconds 2-4 of a 7 second sequence, the clear motor run pulse. Play around with the 5% setting to locate the no tone zone.

More than you wanted to know I'm sure, just run the motor test longer than two seconds to get a smooth sequence to sample. And then just sample for two seconds....

Are you confused yet?
No, not confused- I don't think.. Seeing/ hearing tones & pulses is one thing- how do you find out what is causing it and what, if anything you need to do about it?

Longer test time makes sense too.
Oh no, now I'm confusing myself.:confused:

I sure wish MP had some way to accelerate the motors from like 20% to 100% and back down so we could balance across the power band
I agree for other reasons. Your motors should actually run smoother at higher RPM, at least feel smoother.

No, not confused- I don't think.. Seeing/ hearing tones & pulses is one thing- how do you find out what is causing it and what, if anything you need to do about it?

Nothing to be done, it's a function of the ESC in driving the motors. You hear tones every time you start the bird, it's the motors chirping....

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danny5150