Cant get rid of vibrations, maybe its not your cable

If you really want to see some stable video check out my first video flight with my Syma X5...Awesome..crash included!
Now that I look at it I am quite pleased with what I get from Solo.o_O
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
Haha! I got that same video from my X5- forgot all about it!

Reactions: Raybro
Sorry I haven't been replying here. Been busy and been away.

Anyway, I've never used a smart phone to balance a motor. I'm sure it works, but I have my doubts. Call me old fashioned, but personally I prefer a more analog approach using a pen laser. That way you can see the vibration with your own eyes, and you'll know when your dialed in. The trick is to reflect the laser at least 15 or 20 feet away.

Anyhow, here's the first video that I came across that shows the basic set up. Everyone does it a little differently, so don't be afraid to come up with your own variation. Even though you won't get feedback in the form of a digital read out, I believe balancing with a laser is more precise. The laser doesn't lie. It can't lie - if you don't get a perfect dot, your not balanced.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
I had seen this but forgot about it. I'm going to try it to see how I did with the cellphone.

Reactions: J R
If you really want to see some stable video check out my first video flight with my Syma X5

And how much did you pay for that X5? I hope you made a little step up!:)

Cleaning up some hard drives this past week and came across some of my Hubsan videos. We're definitely a long way from those days!

Jerry

And how much did you pay for that X5? I hope you made a little step up!:)

Cleaning up some hard drives this past week and came across some of my Hubsan videos. We're definitely a long way from those days!

Jerry
About $60.....it's like a Timex, takes a lick and keeps on ticking.

Erik,

Thanks much for chiming in. I always seem to agree with your comments. Your thoughts regarding this issue bring a certain calm and senability to what has been a somewhat chaotic endeavor for me.

I saw the laser video as I was pouring over the Internet looking for a more precise yet simplistic method. In many of the more exacting processes the motor is completely removed from the bird and attached to some sort of jig which would eliminate many variables. To do so would require more than I'm willing to expend at this point. And as you noted, could and maybe should be considered overkill on a relatively new and maturing component of this product.

My objective here is probably a bit different than most visiting this forum as I have little to no photographic experience. I became interested in this hobby because of its uniqueness and pre-packaged, consumer grade technology. Much like I took to the original IBM personal computer some 35 years ago.

I bought these quads to take pictures and videos to share with my family and friends. As with anything I take on, the more I learn, the deeper I go. I continually flip-flop between trying my hand at the photographic element and pushing the envelope to see what I can get these things to do from a flying perspective.

Although I'm just trying to provide pleasing and interesting video for personal sharing I'm bothered by noticable imperfections. The video side of the Solo will be much tougher for me. The "other ones" seem to be much more automated in this process. To me the gimbal setup is also better. I haven't experienced the issues that I'm now confronted with although I've had my share of other issues.

I don't know the first thing about editing, color correction, saturation, stabilization or the other photographic elements. Just the size of these files and the process of cutting, pasting, adding a title and some music is a chore in itself. For me a very time consuming process and I am using an I7 with lots of RAM and SSD's.

If you watched the orbit I did at the lake (there was a bit of wind but certainly not unbearable) there were two obvious obstacles that made the video much less desirable. The shaking from the wind, transmitted to the camera through the gimbal and the changes in the direction of the camera in conjunction with the sun. (I'm sure there are many other flaws to the many professional people here but those are the two most important to me).

For me, the layman, these two issues produce a very amateurish feel. The latter will require a great deal of learning from a photographic perspective. I get it. The shaking is a function of the design and implementation of the product itself. Obviously, not as easily resolved as I first thought.

I think you and some others are right, the biggest issue regarding the vibration has to be the introduction and implementation of the gimbal itself. I know Rich is looking into the isolators and someone else is trying to replace the data cable and I look forward to following those findings. I think the HDMI ribbon cable is a good start. It just seems more logical to me than the OEM cable, provided there isn't any degradation in quality or interference issues.

Anyway, once again I'm rambling. I'm going to test the motor balancing that I've achieved thus far, balance the props as soon as I get my balancer and take it from there.

I very much enjoy reading the experiences of others on this forum. I'm learning a great deal and I'm enjoying the process of using my hands and mind. That being said, it's all a win-win for me! Thanks again for your response.

Jerry
as I have little to no photographic experience..
Me either.. I found I have a lot to learn.

I'd also like to add that I believe it is far more important to focus on isolating vibration from the camera than it is to balance motors or props. Yes, it's best to go after the problem at the source. And balancing props is so easy that you might as well do it. But it's worth remembering that you can never truly balance your motors/props. You might get it perfect on the ground, but as soon as the bird is aloft, it is subject to so many different aerodynamic forces and physical stresses that all your work on the ground goes out the window.

Motors and props these days are so much better than they used to be. Unless you get a lemon that is way out of wack, you should be able to get good smooth video... IF you have a good vibration suppression system in place.

I think the Solo does a reasonable job if you mind the HDMI and gimbal cables.

It's been awhile now, but what I recall from your original video is thinking you've got a bad gimbal. Having said that, it wasn't so bad that you can't clean that all up in post with stabilization. I know that's not the answer you (or most folks) are looking for, but I want to put it out there anyway.

I also remember seeing a very subtle bit of jello at certain moments of the video. Jello is caused by vibration when using a rolling shutter, but can be fixed with an ND filter. If you don't use one already, you should. Especially on bright days. Another way to fix jello is to increase frame rate, but that results in degraded image quality.
This looks like the way to do it. I am thinking over the holidays I could put together a jig and make this work.

About $60.....it's like a Timex, takes a lick and keeps on ticking.
That's for sure- I crashed mine repeatedly and just flipped it over and kept flying. I thought my video was so cool- boy was I wrong!
The X8C, big brother, is just as tough but the size of a phantom. Lots of fun to fly.

Reactions: Raybro
This looks like the way to do it. I am thinking over the holidays I could put together a jig and make this work.

Yeah, it's the way to go alright. Just remember you'll need to figure out how you're going to mount the pod not the motor or you're going to have to pull the motor from the pod. What if it's the motor in the pod that's the issue? You also need some sort of ESC and power source to control the motor. Too much for me. Besides, there's not a chance in hell the wife is letting that contraption sit on the dining room table for all to view!

Jerry

Reactions: erikgraham
Yeah, it's the way to go alright. Just remember you'll need to figure out how you're going to mount the pod not the motor or you're going to have to pull the motor from the pod. What if it's the motor in the pod that's the issue? You also need some sort of ESC and power source to control the motor. Too much for me. Besides, there's not a chance in hell the wife is letting that contraption sit on the dining room table for all to view!

Jerry
I know this was covered before but can't find it- how much "slack" wire does the motor pod have once unscrewed from Solo?

See that's the problem with me. I'll start out with a paint stick a mirror and a few screws and I'll end up with a carbon fiber mounting base with isolation legs, a snap on motor pod base, 12 mirrors at precise angles all controlled with independent motors, some super duper laser system in an airtight enclosure all taking up half of a room. Jeez, the pool table (in the basement game room) is now my motor balancing station because every time the wind blows the dogs are running all over the house barking their butts off. Really screws up my f'ng readings!

Jerry

Reactions: erikgraham
No expert here Ray, quite far from it. And it ain't a Rabbit hole it's a Badger hole! Rabbits don't beat the crap out of you but Badgers do! And this one is kicking my a$$!

Jerry
Except Honey Badger, he just don't give a ****

I am using an app on play store called vibrometer, it is part of an app called smart tools and I went ahead and got the pro version. it was cheap

I am using an app on play store called vibrometer, it is part of an app called smart tools and I went ahead and got the pro version. it was cheap

I installed that app too, it looked great but the number never went static so I could read it. Does the pro version give you static numbers? If so, I think I'll but it. Thanks for the info.

Jerry

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apicasso