Cant get rid of vibrations, maybe its not your cable

Maybe you need to balance your motors

Pyrate,

So what are we looking for in this video? I'd really like to take a look at balancing my motors. I haven't even begun to research and study doing so yet. How about some pointers if you can spare the time.

Thanks,

Jerry

Maybe you need to balance your motors

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
Not talked about here much, but I balance every motor.

Use mission planner for individual motor control. Connect it to the Sololink network. After that, there are a hundred videos with variations on motor balancing on Youtube.

I put the Solo on foam blocks to isloate it, and put the phone on each arm at the same distance from the motor (using a foam block as a spacer) with the phone in the same orientation. I use metal tape (heavier and doesn't come off) and don't forget that after you find the "light" spot where you have put the tape, to experiment with different weights (sizes of tape) and after that, move it up, and then down, for the perfect balance and minimum vibrations. Balancing at 50% speed works well, but in the end, balance at the speed your motor is likely to be when filming.

Reactions: J R
Pyrate,

So what are we looking for in this video? I'd really like to take a look at balancing my motors. I haven't even begun to research and study doing so yet. How about some pointers if you can spare the time.

Thanks,

Jerry
Jerry, check out YouTube- there are a lot of videos on motor balancing and watching one is much easier than trying to 'splain it!

Not talked about here much, but I balance every motor.

Use mission planner for individual motor control. Connect it to the Sololink network. Afteer that, there are a hundred videos with variations on motot balancing on Youtube.

I put the Solo on foam blocks to isloate it, and put the phone on each arm at the same distance from the motor (using a foam block as a spacer) with the phone in the same orientation. I use metal tape (heavier and doesn't come off) and don't forget that after you find the "light" spot where you will put the tape, to experiment with different weights (sizes of tape) and after that, move it up, and then down, for the perfect balance and minimum vibrations. Balancing at 50% speed works well, but in the end, balance at the speed your motor is likely to be when filming.
Wow Earl- you been tossing a few back tonight?! :D

This was all just news to me, and found it interesting. the more I read this is a manufacturer agnostic issue. just the nature of motor manufacturing

This was all just news to me, and found it interesting. the more I read this is a manufacturer agnostic issue. just the nature of motor manufacturing
Yes... Most of the vids are for "other" craft, based on Solo being new. This goes back to when the motors had wooden props :)

seems like a nice business opportunity for someone to produce a premium balanced motor approved via the made for solo program

I do something similar to this, using the same app.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

It cost $5 but is worth it. I also use metal tape, as electrical tape fly's off when the motors get warm.

Hmmm. Notice that both of his front motors display about the same amount of vibration, and both of the back motors display the same amount of vibration. What are the chances of two motors being out of balance the same amount? Not very high.

I think it's just the way he has his iPhone oriented and resting on the GPS cover.

I'm not saying that motor balancing is not important, just that I'm dubious about the testing methodology in this video.

Reactions: Acroduster and J R
I wonder if you pulled the pod motor wires out of the arms. if there would be enough slack to set the motors on some jig in front of the copter. You would only need two one for each direction. trying to figure out how to apply that video to solo

Hmmm. Notice that both of his front motors display about the same amount of vibration, and both of the back motors display the same amount of vibration. What are the chances of two motors being out of balance the same amount? Not very high.

I think it's just the way he has his iPhone oriented and resting on the GPS cover.

I'm not saying that motor balancing is not important, just that I'm dubious about the testing methodology in this video.

this was just to see if I could get Mission Planner and A app working. Won't use it for the final balance

I wonder if you pulled the pod motor wires out of the arms. if there would be enough slack to set the motors on some jig in front of the copter. You would only need two one for each direction. trying to figure out how to apply that video to solo
Don't think you could without extensions (or a wire stretcher :)) . But you also don't need to. The phone on the arm method works really well. I actually think better, because in the end, that is where the motors will be. If something is rattling around there, you want to know...

Last edited:
Reactions: J R and EyeWingsuit
Will give that a go, the sounds were interesting two, would have thought quieter was better. Balancing would have to help bearing life I would think

Reactions: Alvin and J R
Yes, I dunno why I didn't even think of this when reading about vibration problems - or the "shakes" - so commonly reported.
Likely reason is I always balance my motors before I even think about flying a new or unproven craft. It's even more true for the multi-engine single wing variety!
Makes a huge difference. A bunch of likely problems can be prevented by simply switching motor placement.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dachl