107 ...who has signed up for test?

Yes, the right of passage and tradition perpetuates the knowledge-required for chart use and interpretation. But I don't need that broad a knowledge to safely navigate hundreds of miles across open water, nor presumably to fly VLOS, below 400', etc, etc.

There is no accounting for some of the stupid things people do by blindly using technology for results, and I am not saying that one should abandon situational awareness in favor of electronics systems. As a matter of fact, IF the GPS system was down, I'd use my chartplotter as a chart for (at minimum) a DR (dead reckoning) plot.

I hear, and have heard for 15 years in the CG Aux, about the possibility of loosing my complete electrical accessory system or other failure to my technology-laden vessel. IF that happened, I would get out my battery powered backup GPS; if that failed, I would use my tertiary battery powered GPS.

Again, I am not saying that one should abandon mental preparedness, and that you shouldn't be prepared to think on your feet, but the use of charts for situations I encounter at sea, or in the air, is overkill.
I see the parallels you are making, but there are differences. For example, at sea there are buoys, channel markers, light houses, etc. We don't have any of that in the sky... that's what sectionals are for (in part). The other difference is that if you make a mistake at sea, you probably aren't putting other lives at risk. No matter how remote the risk of an aircraft strike, if it does happen, the risk to human life is not remote. And of course there is the fact that you are onboard and in command of your boat.

The other thing is that you have years of experience at sea. You probably don't even know how much you know through instinct and accumulated experience. Other than the old school RC guys, no one has the years of experience with drones that you have at sea. The tech just hasn't existed long enough.

And lastly, we are specifically discussing part 107 *COMERCIAL* operation of a drone. A hobbyist will probably be fine using common sense and the Solo (or DJI Go) app with the built in warning systems.

But a commercial operator should be required to understand sectionals, just as a boat captain should understand how buoys and channel markers work.

Ps. The other thing is that they threw this test together pretty damn quickly for a governent institution. It's obvioulsy the sport pilot test with tweaks. It's imperfect but they will slowly improve it. I for one am glad they pushed something out the door, as imperfect as it is.

Last edited:
Reactions: SARDG and Chuck-TX
...And lastly, we are specifically discussing part 107 *COMERCIAL* operation of a drone. A hobbyist will probably be fine using common sense and the Solo (or DJI Go) app with the built in warning systems...
.and that's is the one saving grace, I am but a hobbyist. If Gov't doesn't extend their overreach to me (past what already exists), I can safely live with it.

.and that's is the one saving grace, I am but a hobbyist. If Gov't doesn't extend their overreach to me (past what already exists), I can safely live with it.
But you are the government! Coast guard.
;)

So let me get this straight...hobbyists , ie, the least skilled, knowledgeable, or concerned, and even teenage kids are just fine without sectionals, $150 tests, and all the govt overreach....but someone who might use the clips or photos for their job (ie generally mature, job having, careful), they are the ones that are being reckless by not knowing taxiing procedures and insane overkill sports pilot minutia?? Are you really serious?

So let me get this straight...hobbyists , ie, the least skilled, knowledgeable, or concerned, and even teenage kids are just fine without sectionals, $150 tests, and all the govt overreach....but someone who might use the clips or photos for their job (ie generally mature, job having, careful), they are the ones that are being reckless by not knowing taxiing procedures and insane overkill sports pilot minutia?? Are you really serious?
Yes. I'm absolutely serious.

Your summarization doesn't really reflect what I've said. But instead of us arguing, I'm just asking you to reconsider your position.

Ah gee... thanks jib! :p
. Exactly, i trust you as anonymous forum poster way more than god knows how many other multirotor owners out there, but for some reason @erikgraham and others think we need tons of govt oversight...i dont know, dont me wrong, im all about not killing anyone or risking major harm/damage to people/property...i just dont see how harassing "commercial" guys will ever put the horse back in the barn..millions of multirotors are already out there and huge amounts of people are going to engage in risky practices...harassing me isnt going to change that....by all means erik et al, use your sectionals, sextants, whtevr you feel comfortable with, but please understand its possible to be in the top 5% of responsible "pilots" without the govt bureaucracy all up your arse...ETA: also, i appreciate you erikgraham and am in no way trying to criticize you or argue

. Exactly, i trust you as anonymous forum poster way more than god knows how many other multirotor owners out there, but for some reason @erikgraham and others think we need tons of govt oversight...i dont know, dont me wrong, im all about not killing anyone or risking major harm/damage to people/property...i just dont see how harassing "commercial" guys will ever put the horse back in the barn..millions of multirotors are already out there and huge amounts of people are going to engage in risky practices...harassing me isnt going to change that....by all means erik et al, use your sectionals, sextants, whtevr you feel comfortable with, but please understand its possible to be in the top 5% of responsible "pilots" without the govt bureaucracy all up your arse...ETA: also, i appreciate you erikgraham and am in no way trying to criticize you or argue
Look buddy. Your obviously itching to start a fight with me. With every post you change your angle a little. And you seem hell bent on blatantly miss-characterizing everything I've said. Go back and re-read the posts.

Now, your specifically calling me out by name and saying that I "think we need tons of govt oversight..." Where the hell did you get that from? That just pisses me off. Show me one place where I've said that. Go ahead, find a quote...

You won't be able to. You probably know that already. So what will you do? You'll change your petty and small minded line of attack to some other dumb angle. But let's not forget you stormed into this thread with these words:
Yeah im gonna be using alot of sectional maps whenever i go get some aerials with my drone...said no one, ever

I simply disagree with that basic premise. I know plenty of commercial PICs who frequently check sectionals. They are extremely useful. If you could get your head out of your arse and stop with the knee jerk (and overly emotional) reactions, then you might even realize how awesome a resource sectionals are. I doubt it though. You've kind of backed your self into a pretty tight corner on this topic.

Use sectionals. Don't use sectionals. I really could give a rats *** what you do. Just don't go around telling people what you think I've said, or what you think I believe. People can read that on their own.

Speak for yourself and I'll speak for myself.

Last edited by a moderator:
Look buddy. Your obviously itching to start a fight with me. With every post you change your angle a little. And you seem hell bent on blatantly miss-characterizing everything I've said. Go back and re-read the posts.

Now, your specifically calling me out by name and saying that I "think we need tons of govt oversight..." Where the hell did you get that from? That just pisses me off. Show me one place where I've said that. Go ahead, find a quote...

You won't be able to. You probably know that already. So what will you do? You'll change your petty and small minded line of attack to some other dumb angle. But let's not forget you stormed into this thread with these words:

I simply disagree with that basic premise. I know plenty of commercial PICs who frequently check sectionals. They are extremely useful. If you could get your head out of your arse and stop with the knee jerk (and overly emotional) reactions, then you might even realize how awesome a resource sectionals are. I doubt it though. You've kind of backed your self into a pretty tight corner on this topic.

Use sectionals. Don't use sectionals. I really could give a rats ass what you do. Just don't go around telling people what you think I've said, or what you think I believe. People can read that on their own.

Speak for yourself and I'll speak for myself.
over emotional much? I never said you said any of those things..pot meet kettle...great talking with you, and enjoy your sectionals
eta: ah, i see now what youre referring to in my previous post, my bad, im typing this on mobile version on the road, that was just meant as a generalization of the whole pro-sportpilotslicense argument,,not personal

Last edited:
over emotional much? I never said you said any of those things..pot meet kettle...great talking with you, and enjoy your sectionals
eta: ah, i see now what youre referring to in my previous post, my bad, im typing this on mobile version on the road, that was just meant as a generalization of the whole pro-sportpilotslicense argument,,not personal
You said this, and I quote, "for some reason @erikgraham and others think we need tons of govt oversight..."

Just the fact that you didn't even remember you said that and then had to go back and edit to correct yourself just proves your shooting off half cocked without really reading anything or thinking through anything. And as I predicted, you came back with a different (and dumb) angle on things. Your all over the map.

So again. Speak for yourself and I'll speak for myself.

Two posts off topic is my limit. Your on your own from here on out.

Last edited:

It is not anyones decision to make who needs oversight or not at least the people on this forum.
The FAA has jurisdiction over all airspace. Including the one we fly our vehicles in.

THEY have mandidated the rules
You have to choose if you are going to follow them as a responsible operator in that air space
Or ignore them, even if you took the trouble to get a 107 or ont.

I would say if you are chosing to ingore those rules, then you are part of th reason those rules had to be put in place.
If Drone operators had policed themselves maybe the government would not have had to
THis coming from a guy who HATES big government
But honestly seeing the way clowns were just wrecklessly flying, I think they had to

Since you bring it up, IMHO, hobbyists should have to take a test too. Is automobile operator licensing government overreach too? Whether you are a commercial vehicle driver or not, you need to take a test and be licensed. I would say the same should go for aerial vehicles. Drop a 5lb copter on someone's head or interfere with a manned flight, it shouldn't matter whether you're earning money or not.

Last edited:
Reading this is like Groundhog Day (the movie). I've played this game with him too, Erik. Don't bother...
Yeah. Can't believe I let him bait me in. I just put him on the ignore list. Never done that before.

Reactions: pyrate
Some of you guys are hilarious, lighten up and get over yourselves ...,make sure and get certified first, im going to go fly all crazy reckless..gmafb..somehow we all managed to live this long without being taken out over the years from all those uncertified rc enthusiasts and gasp, some of them were even COMMERCIAL!!! aagghh run for the hills!¡!¡

None of the FAAs burdens on commerical operators is going to fix the problem of morons with multirotors etc...its akin to tougher and tougher gun control legislation, the only ones its a burden on, is law abiding citizens, meanwhile criminals run rampant with illegal guns. As i said in previous post, the horse is out of the barn,..requiring commercial MR operators to know proper taxiing procedures , read sectionals, and other ridiculous sport pilot minutia wont fix reckless idiots and doesnt really apply to a real estate agent who wants to take a aerial photo or video of a house...its ridiculous, burdensome overkill by typical bureaucracy...im done on the subject

Since you bring it up, IMHO, hobbyists should have to take a test too. Is automobile operator licensing government overreach too? Whether you are a commercial vehicle driver or not, you need to take a test and be licensed. I would say the same should go for aerial vehicles. Drop a 5lb copter on someone's head or interfere with a manned flight, it shouldn't matter whether you're earning money or not.
But hobbyist dont have to take a test..so your driving analogy doesnt work unless you suggest that hobbyist drivers or maybe teenage learners dont need a license really..just guys who drive for a living.... I dont fly a 5lb copter, i fly a 2.2lb flight controlled multirotor...if software,hardware fail at any point, there is nothing anyone can do about it...having good judgement and flying safely otherwise is all you have to do, and unfortunately the faa cant fix those with crap judgement or unsafe habits..my opinion, im entitled to it, and im not alone...

While discussion is encouraged here, arguing is not. Let's all dial it back a few notches in here and stop with the personal attacks. If there is a problem in a thread report it so the staff can take care of it. If you retaliate you only put yourself at risk for warnings.

So carry on with "on topic", friendly discussion. Thanks for everyone's cooperation.

Just so you fellows know... I've been known to report crazy 'stuff', but I didn't touch this thread. Matter of fact, I kinda' abandoned it. :cool:

Reactions: jibcamera
I took the 3dr test prep a couple of times until I could score about 95%, then went and took the 107 test. There were some surprises, things I'd not been exposed to, and more weather questions than I expected, but I still got a passing 83% grade.

Reactions: erikgraham

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44