107 ...who has signed up for test?

This! I got this question as well. Not sure I got it correct but it asks for weather details from a sectional (which only lists AWOS info). Glad to see others ran into this as well (and I'm not crazy).

I was able to get verification from FAA that the question is worded correctly. I just didn't read it correctly.

To those thinking you will never need to read a sectional in real word applications I call BS. To those who do not read a sectional before a job, they cover that type of behavior in the study material ;-)

I promise you, I will never need to read a sectional to go fly a 3lb multirotor LOS ....if you are flying nonstop in all new locations, then I agree its a fairly quick way to understand a completely foreign area, but thats not how or where I fly personally. Most potential cinematography clients arent looking to get beauty shots of airports or other risky enviroments, and I have a word for thinking people NEED to read a sectional before you fly LOS in any/every job, "overkill"

Last edited:
I submitted my IACRA on the 4th and status still showing "Transfered to Registry". Any idea of how long I will need to be patient?

I submitted my IACRA on the 4th and status still showing "Transfered to Registry". Any idea of how long I will need to be patient?

It took 2-3 days to get my temp cert. I logged in and found it there. Then got the email the next day.

I suggest logging back in, it is prob ready.

Who knows how backed up they are. I did mine on the 29th in the morning. So I was ahead of the wave.

Could be an hour to a week is what mine said when I submitted mine. I submitted mine in the afternoon and later that evening logged back in and was able to print out the temp. Cert.
Just depends on how backed up they are I suppose.

Yeah im gonna be using alot of sectional maps whenever i go get some aerials with my drone...said no one, ever
Yes you should know your airspace before flying. You may be near an airport and not even know it. For example. In Austin, TX (Where I fly). A very common place to fly and get great shots is a park in Down Town Austin. It would take you 20 minutes or more to drive to the airport. So there is no need to look at the airspace,right? Well, Austin (KAUS) is a Class Charlie Airspace. It has 2 rings of airspace, a 4 mile ring starting at the surface and another 4 mile ring starting at 2,100 feet MSL. The transition between the two is right at this park. So if you fly too far east, you are now in Class Charlie Airspace.

How are you supposed to know this without looking at an aviation map?

The other thing that I find useful for UAS Pilots is converting from AGL (where we all think) to MSL (Where all Pilots and FAA thinks). Here are a couple questions to think about:
What MSL are you sitting at right now as you read this? (I am at about 520ft MLS)
Why is know that important?

That is sort of the reason for all of this.
To seperate the people casually flying these things with no situational awareness from the people who take time to do it correctly.
If you are spending the time and effort to become established as a remote pilot, and then just ignoring the rules and responsiblities of the certification you are just putting your cert at risk
If I were going to be cavalier about it, I would just save the 150 bucks and hope I did not get caught

Yes you should know your airspace before flying. You may be near an airport and not even know it. For example. In Austin, TX (Where I fly). A very common place to fly and get great shots is a park in Down Town Austin. It would take you 20 minutes or more to drive to the airport. So there is no need to look at the airspace,right? Well, Austin (KAUS) is a Class Charlie Airspace. It has 2 rings of airspace, a 4 mile ring starting at the surface and another 4 mile ring starting at 2,100 feet MSL. The transition between the two is right at this park. So if you fly too far east, you are now in Class Charlie Airspace.

How are you supposed to know this without looking at an aviation map?

The other thing that I find useful for UAS Pilots is converting from AGL (where we all think) to MSL (Where all Pilots and FAA thinks). Here are a couple questions to think about:
What MSL are you sitting at right now as you read this? (I am at about 520ft MLS)
Why is know that important?
or i just look at google maps and the solo app integrated map with resticted airspace overlays and know this...sectional not needed

Reactions: SARDG
Going to start studying for my 107 test , with all the suggestions I'll have a good study info. Have filed for my "333" awhile back and nothing. Wondering what is going on.

or i just look at google maps and the solo app integrated map with resticted airspace overlays and know this...sectional not needed
I've got to say... this ongoing argument (discussion) about reading sectional charts reminds me of the QEs (Qualification Examinations) we have to go through every 3 years in the Coast Guard Aux. In addition to practical SAR-related and other underway and night exercises, we have to be checked off on chart work (reading, plotting, calculating set and drift and other TSD (time, speed distance) knowledge relating to charts of our AOR (Area of Operation).

I fight it every year, claiming that NO ONE uses actual paper charts any more with all the sophisticated, reasonably priced chart plotters. And TSD... I can do in my head close enough for any SAR or any other mission we'll ever prosecute. In addition to that, we often don't have to plot search patterns or much else relating to SAR missions because the Coast Guard uses a program called SAROPS to figure all that out, taking into consideration far more information in a shorter time more than a human can. In addition, there is no place to do chart plotting on our typical small patrol boat. AND STILL, WE MUST GO THROUGH THIS CHART WORK EVERY 3 YEARS MINIMUM.

I brought my personal 23' boat down the Western Rivers (with a friend) from Kentucky to Tarpon Springs in Florida without using a single chart - on the rivers, in Mobile Bay, on the Intracoastal Waterway, and across the open Gulf of Mexico. NO CHARTS USED OR NECESSARY.

If I had my druthers, I'd drop all the chart work. Don't need it!

Reactions: jibcamera
Wow, it seems to be pulled from the PPL exam. Most of what Robert cited, I remember seeing from my exam over twenty years ago.

sort of like requiring divers to calculate down times using charts
they have dive computers now
but you still have to learn to read a chart, then everyone immediately forgets how.
I guess if your computer died it would be handy, but if you are diving correctly you have a buddy and they have a computer that should make it close enough if your not diving on the edge of your envelope

Follow the tiniest bubbles up. For some reason, I don't remember my dive tables but I remember a lot from the PPL exam. Maybe because I flew a lot more than I dove.

Reactions: pyrate
If I had my druthers, I'd drop all the chart work. Don't need it!

While I think it is HIGHLY unlikely, computer systems that communicate with satellites are fallible. Were I on a ship at sea I would not want to be out there without a working knowledge of "old-fashioned" navigational techniques utilizing charts, sextants, and so forth.

Does any of this have anything to do with flying your Solo? Not in the least. However I think the rationale for the regulators is to err on the side of caution-- even if it seems downright silly at times.

Well I cant say it has not been informative
as a Non Pilot, I am learning quite a bit. I see the application for most of it. Don't necessarily understand why I need to know taxi way markings. its not like I am going to taxi a quad.
I guess this is meant to cover some of the folks with fixed wings. so that would make sense.

I tend to agree on sea travel. its lonely out there. We sit dead in the water for a couple days back in my Navy days (fire on board)

While I think it is HIGHLY unlikely, computer systems that communicate with satellites are fallible. Were I on a ship at sea I would not want to be out there without a working knowledge of "old-fashioned" navigational techniques utilizing charts, sextants, and so forth.

Does any of this have anything to do with flying your Solo? Not in the least. However I think the rationale for the regulators is to err on the side of caution-- even if it seems downright silly at times.
I saw immediate parallels to the sectional chart and navigation chart use argument, and the need to know them well; when to some, it's debatable whether or not there is any added value at all. Students of the CG and Navel Academies are still presumably taught celestial navigation, but when I was aboard an 87' Cutter a few years ago they had the same Raymarine chartplotter at the helm that I had at mine. While it's true that GPS may be inoperable in specific areas at specific times, rendering chartplotters less useful (but not useless), small patrol boats and their crew wouldn't be that handicapped without it. Solo for the most part, would be grounded - but there is always mañana.

If I ever took the test and qualified under 107, I would likely never use sectionals - just as I never use paper navigation charts - even though we are required to know how and tested every three years. B4UFly has air space restriction overlays including TFR info. VLOS means a lot.

Obviously FAA has a different philosophy, as I see here that many of the 107 questions regard chart knowledge.

GPS Operational Status listserver signup is available here (and perhaps other places in the aviation world...):
List Server Subscription Form

I promise you, I will never need to read a sectional to go fly a 3lb multirotor LOS ....if you are flying nonstop in all new locations, then I agree its a fairly quick way to understand a completely foreign area, but thats not how or where I fly personally. Most potential cinematography clients arent looking to get beauty shots of airports or other risky enviroments, and I have a word for thinking people NEED to read a sectional before you fly LOS in any/every job, "overkill"
I disagree with you 100%. Please reconsider your position.

Anyone looking for a good course specifically on sectionals, check this out:
Sectional Charts | Part 107 Study Guide Series

Reactions: pyrate
It's not about paper vs online/computer charts.
It's not about GPS vs sextant + Nautical Almanac.
It is about willingness to learn a skill and discipline.
It is about knowledge. Knowledge is power.
It is critical for a pilot or sea captain to be able to do this.
The FAA knows this, it is sort a right of passage.

Ever been in a situation where your supporting technology has suffered a total electrical failure?
Ever been lost in the desert far away from WiFI/cell service?
Ever read about the 10-20 folks a year that drive down dead end roads or into a river/lake by blindly following their GPS?
It is not about being able to read a chart in the above situations.
It is about being mentally prepared to deal with the unknown, right now, not in five minutes when you can pull over to the side of the road and ponder your situation. And, that doesn't imply being impulsive either.

Just my $.02

Last edited:
It's not about paper vs online/computer charts.
It's not about GPS vs sextant + Nautical Almanac.
It is about willingness to learn a skill and discipline.
It is about knowledge. Knowledge is power.
It is critical for a pilot or sea captain to be able to do this.
The FAA knows this, it is sort a right of passage.

Ever been in a situation where your supporting technology has suffered a total electrical failure?
Ever been lost in the desert far away from WiFI/cell service?
Ever read about the 10-20 folks a year that drive down dead end roads or into a river/lake by blindly following their GPS?
It is not about being able to read a chart in the above situations.
It is about being mentally prepared to deal with the unknown, right now, not in five minutes when you can pull over to the side of the road and ponder your situation...
Yes, the right of passage and tradition perpetuates the knowledge-required for chart use and interpretation. But I don't need that broad a knowledge to safely navigate hundreds of miles across open water, nor presumably to fly VLOS, below 400', etc, etc.

There is no accounting for some of the stupid things people do by blindly using technology for results, and I am not saying that one should abandon situational awareness in favor of electronics systems. As a matter of fact, IF the GPS system was down, I'd use my chartplotter as a chart for (at minimum) a DR (dead reckoning) plot.

I hear, and have heard for 15 years in the CG Aux, about the possibility of loosing my complete electrical accessory system or other failure to my technology-laden vessel. IF that happened, I would get out my battery powered backup GPS; if that failed, I would use my tertiary battery powered GPS.

Again, I am not saying that one should abandon mental preparedness, and that you shouldn't be prepared to think on your feet, but the use of charts for situations I encounter at sea, or in the air, is overkill.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44