Windows Tablet practice use?

Reaction score
SO I have been using a Transformer Prime for the life of my SOLO, the good things about the prime is the ability to overclock the CPU and (depending on the ROM) the WIFI module, allowing me to boost the power to both for a great feedback. Its got a fantastic screen for outdoor use, great battery and a better keyboard dock that not only turns it into a laptop but offers a secondary battery and usb ports.

In a nutshell it has allowed my to shoot some material, land, collect the footage and use the tablet in laptop mode to lightly edit, store, backup and upload. Problem is, its showing its age and generally loosing the ability to be anything more then a fancy viewfinder.

It dawned on me once I lost 30 minutes of footage, I was joining the last segment onto the primary video when it crashed and lost the progress, once booted back up it loaded the project and began importing the footage when it crashed again, this time killing the project and the source material on the GoPros card.

BUT...Actually no but, it was a day wasted lol ooops, I have a Surface Pro 4 that has just arrived, it has no problem editing 4K footage all day long, in fact has been editing ON BATTERY for over 3 hours now without wall power.

My question is, are we going to see a windows based companion app for the SOLO? or should I stick to using my Surface for editing on the go and my Nexus 6 as a companion?

you can run mission planner on your surface
I use it to connect to solo and grab log files
But I don't fly with my surface, my nexus 9 is a much better tool for that

In all honesty I don't use the smart shots nor the real features of the SOLO app, I was looking at moving over into Tower as the daily driver when the tablet started acting up, The nexus 6 is not terrible but its no 10" screen lol

so which one is better use for solo ios or android?
I think you have to give it to Android. You can run both the Tower app and the Solo app on Android. On iOS you can only use the Solo app.

Having said that, the Solo app on iOS is more stable and it gets updated first.

Mission Planner on Windows is the grand daddy of them all. If you don't need the features of the Solo app (like smart shots), then Mission Planner is worth considering. Tower does a lot of what Mission Planner does, but not everything.

I think you have to give it to Android. You can run both the Tower app and the Solo app on Android. On iOS you can only use the Solo app.

Having said that, the Solo app on iOS is more stable and it gets updated first.

Mission Planner on Windows is the grand daddy of them all. If you don't need the features of the Solo app (like smart shots), then Mission Planner is worth considering. Tower does a lot of what Mission Planner does, but not everything.

im going to test the theory, I have a few projects coming up so im going to swap over to mission planner :)

im going to test the theory, I have a few projects coming up so im going to swap over to mission planner :)
Well Mission Planner's user interface is dated. You might find it hard to use compared to Tower.

Can you get Solo's video feed in Mission Planner? I've only used MP on my desktop. I have a Surface Pro 2, which is a tad heavy to clip into the Solo controller, but I have a few small Windows tablets that would fit. As a Windows user in general, I'd love to see a native Solo app for Windows tablets.

That said, I actually like the size of a 5 inch phone - adds little weight to the controller, easy to transport and the screen is big... enough. I've been using an old Nexus 5 and I've not felt the need to upgrade to a full tablet.

Well Mission Planner's user interface is dated. You might find it hard to use compared to Tower.

Went out on the beach today for some buffer footage and couldnt get any of my gear to pair with the solo :( I have not a clue what went wrong but neither my phone or tablet would settle on the network, enough for a brief "Connected to solo app" before ditching the network again, even forgetting the network wouldn't help.

So...I flew anyway, old school framing by sheer luck and keeping in just enough of a view to see orientation lol 4k with perfect conditions and lighting was good fun to fly on a frozen beach, seems I don't really need the SOLO app anyway :)

my ipad mini 2 overheat 3 times this week flying solo! I want to change to android to try another options, whats the best option for solo, best real time feedback?

my ipad mini 2 overheat 3 times this week flying solo! I want to change to android to try another options, whats the best option for solo, best real time feedback?
Many on here use and like the Nexus 7 (2013). Great performance and bright screen. Also, the new 3DR screen hood fits perfect.

Reactions: brunoferreiro
Man I feel like i'm close.
I have duos running
services running
and the solo app.

Problem not connecting
wifi is connect to the solo controller
wifi does also want to be connect to duos wifi
which shows up under services as connected

but the solo app still says Not Connected
everything does work well on wifes iphone and daughters samsung s3 phone but Im trying to use my surface 3.

I have now rebooted 5 times
checked most configurations
Im lost can not find any youtube instructions :(

Has anyone actually used a surface tablet using Duos to emulate android and then running the Solo app and services successfully ????

Any help would sure be appreciated :)

Last edited:
Reactions: R3AP37
I have the same issue with my mini 3. Solved it for the most part by cutting an old hand towel to the same size as the mini. Also cut a thin piece of plexiglass to the same size.
Wet the towel, wring out, and sandwich between mini and plexiglass.
Place in controller holder. Usually keeps mini cool enough to keep working.

Google tells me Android devices can have the same overheating issues.

Man I feel like i'm close.
I have duos running
services running
and the solo app.

Problem not connecting
wifi is connect to the solo controller
wifi does also want to be connect to duos wifi
which shows up under services as connected

but the solo app still says Not Connected
everything does work well on wifes iphone and daughters samsung s3 phone but Im trying to use my surface 3.

I have now rebooted 5 times
checked most configurations
Im lost can not find any youtube instructions :(

Has anyone actually used a surface tablet using Duos to emulate android and then running the Solo app and services successfully ????

Any help would sure be appreciated :)

I'm using ConsoleOS on my Surface 4 pro, it connects up find and seems to have no issues, possibly your hardware/software?

Can you get Solo's video feed in Mission Planner? I've only used MP on my desktop. I have a Surface Pro 2, which is a tad heavy to clip into the Solo controller, but I have a few small Windows tablets that would fit. As a Windows user in general, I'd love to see a native Solo app for Windows tablets.

That said, I actually like the size of a 5 inch phone - adds little weight to the controller, easy to transport and the screen is big... enough. I've been using an old Nexus 5 and I've not felt the need to upgrade to a full tablet.

According to 3DR, yes. Look at the Solo Developer manual. You'd need to load VLC on your Surface 3 and use the following config file (has a .sdp extension) Supposedly, this video could play through the HUD on Mission Planner. I've tried it...didn't work on Windows 10 on my Surface Pro 3.

t=00
a=rtpmap:96 H264/90000
m=video 5600 RTP/AVP 96
c=IN IP4 10.1.1.1

There are andoid emulators for windows. MS itself is working on something to run native android apps.

I did try and run Solo app and Tower using the Andy emulator on my Microsoft Surface 3 Pro running Windows 10. Trouble is it can't/wont connect to the UDP connection for Solo, nor can I get it to talk to the USB port when I try using Tower in Andy for my Iris. Better to port Solo and Tower to a Windows 10 universal app, which I suggested to 3DR. I got the thanks but "what's Windows?" response. These guys apparently think if they use a Windows 10 machine they'll be ostracized for using the wrong billionaire's computers.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pvt solo