What is the procedure for shutting down the gopro in the gimble?

Reaction score
Hero 4 Silver.
Solo with gimble.

I have no idea how I'm missing a file on the card, HOWEVER, the entire flight has been saved to my IOS device, (ipad mini 2)

I have no problem starting or stopping the gopro whenever either by using the red button on the ipad or the paddle on the top left which controls the gimble angle. You just have to depress this in to start or stop.

I would love to know the sequence of events how you should STOP the gopro as my battery was running out on the solo, and as I landed it, it began to go through it's beep, beep, beep stage like the battery was so low it was going to return to home. ( it was already on the ground and landed)
I shut down the solo and that, in turn, shuts down the gopro.
I believe I hit the red button on the ipad to stop it first, before shutting down the solo, but can anybody see my point?

Maybe there is a sequence of best practice for stopping, saving and shutting down the gopro and solo so files do not become corrupt ?

Again, I have the saved flight on my ipad mini, but it's missing from the card.

Any news?

I don't like that it shuts down the camera either. Have you taken the card out of the GoPro? If so, try putting it back in and turning the GoPro on.

On the one time I turned off the Solo while the camera was still recording (thus cutting power to the GoPro and not saving the video), when I turned the GoPro back on, it displayed a message on the little screen saying "fixing broken file" or something like that. It took a little while, but the video I recorded was then accessible on the card.

I lose numerous videos on my Hero 2 to that. Seems they added a routine to automatically fix files.

If you stop recording before you kill the power to the GoPro, you shouldn't have that issue any more. Also, don't remove or plug any cables into GoPro while it is powered up.

Sometimes you need to press the gimbal switch in more than once to get the video to actually stop recording. Same thing with the record button in the app. Verify it has stopped recording by checking the camera icon at the top left corner of the display. It should be white when off.

If you stop recording before you kill the power to the GoPro, you shouldn't have that issue any more. Also, don't remove or plug any cables into GoPro while it is powered up.

Sometimes you need to press the gimbal switch in more than once to get the video to actually stop recording. Same thing with the record button in the app. Verify it has stopped recording by checking the camera icon at the top left corner of the display. It should be white when off.

Thanks. I'll check that hint, about the top left corner.
I can see when I stop it because the counter stops on the iPad screen.

This is just awkward to understand, because it saved to the iPad.
Tell me, when I stop the gopro and it states, 'saving' on the iPad, are you supposed to simply wait for that to save, which can take some time after a 20min flight?

Now that the camera will power on when powering Solo, I usually don't start recording until I am in the air. Then prior to landing I stop recording. Saves some editing time as well as prevents a corrupted video file.
I learned the hard way a time or 2.

Now that the camera will power on when powering Solo, I usually don't start recording until I am in the air. Then prior to landing I stop recording. Saves some editing time as well as prevents a corrupted video file.

Thanks for the response.

I'm really pissed off at the fact that we need to ask each other in forums to get answers, and the documentation is not easily available from the actual makers 3dr.

Don't get me wrong, I love this drone, but couple this with the blatant advertising about being able to 'control ' the gopro, but still nothing has been released about this.

Anyway....I'll do that. Start and stop the gopro differently.

When I save to camera roll it doesn't save to the card. Just my experience.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Thanks for the reply. Well, that's just a silly idea, and whats the point of that. To have half rate passable footage on ios rather than the true resolution?

Yes. It saves on download time. The file has to be transfered over solo WiFi.

Always keep the camera roll option off and pull video from the card if you want full resolution.

Always keep the camera roll option off and pull video from the card if you want full resolution.

Thanks, but this issue is about something else than full resolution and how to capture it. It's about a fault in the solo which saved to the iPad but not the card..

That's what I'm saying. When you check camera roll in my experience it will not save to the card. Thus don't check that option.

Now that the camera will power on when powering Solo, I usually don't start recording until I am in the air. .

So if I take off without remembering to power on the GoPro, I can turn it on directly via the controller while in flight?

Same here after getting a gimbal and the update. Several times I was wondering why corrupted 'repairing video' on GoPro was occurring. I still have to manually turn on the GoPro prior to flight (the red led on front IS lit though), then Controller remote record works fine. Once in a while I still get corrupted videos though, have no idea why... if Solo is powering off the GoPro when you hit the battery button for shutdown, maybe the GoPro is stuck in some kind of 'still recording' mode?

Cheers

Wonder if perhaps you're recording at a high frame rate to a slow media card?

I have a high speed 64gb Sandisk class (3) card and had NO issues prior to gimbal install, nor until latest update. 60hz, 1080p, Medium FOV, GP4 Silver. I believe remotely stopping video recording PRIOR to powering down Solo post flight will solve the issue. Will let you know.

Cheers

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alan r pfennig