We all will need to be registered!

I certainly don't mind having to register the following, a gun, a car, an airplane or a drone.

I do mind the nonsense people say about models that fly, in comparison to "you can pry the gun out of my cold dead hand" mentality. if people can walk around with a loaded 9mm then I and everybody else on this site can fly a serious and total feat of engineering!

Reactions: GoodnNuff
How does the airline pilot know it was 100'? Judging distance of a small object while flying a jet at 190 Kts is a difficult task.
I'm not saying I don't believe him, but the AMA did an interesting review of drone "close calls" that were reported to the FAA.
Some weren't drones, some weren't close, and some were military predators being flown in the U.S.

I certainly don't mind having to register the following, a gun, a car, an airplane or a drone.

I do mind the nonsense people say about models that fly, in comparison to "you can pry the gun out of my cold dead hand" mentality. if people can walk around with a loaded 9mm then I and everybody else on this site can fly a serious and total feat of engineering!
The right to bear arms is protected through first the militia act and more recently the 2nd amendment. I'm glad we are getting drone legislation passed. Play by the rules and you can fly. It should apply incentive for people to do the right thing.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

From a legal standpoint, I am getting a bit tired of bureaucrats constantly writing regulations that are not based on law. If drones are really that great of a threat to the safety of the flying public, then Congress needs to pass a law before we decide to "regulate & register" recreational drones. Our Constitution (remember that document folks?) was very clear that laws would rule the land and not a select group of bureaucrats. If we need to register drones, why not just extend that regulation to heli's and fixed wing aircraft. Or better yet, let's just add a high registration fee to all of this so people will just abandon the hobby. Remember, this is a hobby that we are talking about. When was the last time you heard about registering arrows or golf balls (they have killed far more people)? This government is out of control.

Thanks for this info.
It's unfortunate that the comparison between guns and our aircraft came up.
To drive a car or an airplane, one is making use of a privilege.
Not at all the same thing.

Last edited:
Having said that, if I am required to register my drone (which, by the way, is a marvelous bit of engineering but pales in comparison to a Les Baer Thunder Ranch 1911), I thoroughly expect not to constantly look over my shoulder anymore when I fly it.

just to be clear I didn't mean to anger anyone, I mentioned and brought up registering a handgun as a distinction against simply owning a gun. i'm a Brit, and lived in major world cities such as NYC, London, Paris most of my life NEVER having seen a gun - nor wanted to. Now I am based out of Houston, TX - and there are guns everywhere.

but what I really want to say is registering my drone is fine, my car, my gun, my hedge-cutters if they want! ha weed-wacker or even my garden hose.

but now - i find out as a commercial photographer - not only do i have to register my drone, i have to apply for an FAA exemption, the 333 thing. and i get it, i do - it's serious - it's about safety - not taking some kids head off in a crowd - so i'm doing it - it's how i make my living.

ps. i'm an enthusiast of everything geeky, based in amazing engineering, video games and flying my SOLO! so pls excuse my mentioning guns it was merely an example of what i'm willing to register in order to have fun!

I don't mind registering my Solo either. I have issues with the morons who have made all of this necessary by putting their quads way to too close to airports and around a fire causing delays for rescues personal in helping those who need it. That's the real reason for all of this and every other stupid piece of legislation, people without decent common sense.

just to be clear I didn't mean to anger anyone, I mentioned and brought up registering a handgun as a distinction against simply owning a gun. i'm a Brit, and lived in major world cities such as NYC, London, Paris most of my life NEVER having seen a gun - nor wanted to. Now I am based out of Houston, TX - and there are guns everywhere.

but what I really want to say is registering my drone is fine, my car, my gun, my hedge-cutters if they want! ha weed-wacker or even my garden hose.

but now - i find out as a commercial photographer - not only do i have to register my drone, i have to apply for an FAA exemption, the 333 thing. and i get it, i do - it's serious - it's about safety - not taking some kids head off in a crowd - so i'm doing it - it's how i make my living.

ps. i'm an enthusiast of everything geeky, based in amazing engineering, video games and flying my SOLO! so pls excuse my mentioning guns it was merely an example of what i'm willing to register in order to have fun!
Absolutely no anger here, at least on my part.
Folks like me, though - and my guess is a whole bunch of others here - are getting just a tad weary of defending ourselves against charges that we are reckless or just plain evil for "clinging" to our guns.
I fully understand that, to a Brit, the whole gun/2nd Amendment issue may seem a bit trivial in this day and age. After all, why wouldn't it be?
We have vast supermarkets, Wal-Marts, (Best Buys!), and innumerable other outlets to satisfy our every need and whim. Yep, a whim like buying a Solo. Why would we need to take it upon ourselves to provide anything to keep our way of life intact? Even protection is supposedly provided.
However, for folks who were hunting for and skinning/dressing game to at least assist in feeding their family (and often their neighbors) by the age of ten, it's not that simple. In backwoods KY a long time ago there was not a single grocery store within forty miles of our coal mining town.
Of course you could always run to the nearest filling station (that's what we called them) for a snack, but the only things you were likely to find were beef jerky, Beemans gum, and dill pickles from an oak barrel.
Nope, we lived without assistance. Without assistance.
Now, we find ourselves having to defend the very skills and tools that ensured we could be here in the first place.
If people think about it, the phrase "my cold, dead hands" may acquire an entirely new meaning.
Yesterday I was flying my Solo at a nearby park as I do many Fridays. A woman of some moderate acquaintance was walking her beagle nearby, accompanied by her 9 year old son. This particular woman knew my family history and, no doubt, had shared her valuable insights re the social value of my parentage with the entire family.
Therefore, as I brought my drone in for a battery swap, I heard her son say behind me:
"Mommy! It's coming down! Boy it looks mean!"
"
Is it going to shoot at us?"
Sigh.

US will reportedly require consumers to register their drones http://www.engadget.com/2015/10/16/us-drone-registration-report/ via Engadget Android

**Laughing at Americans. ** Canadian laws are already more strict. 400 feet ha! we are limited to 295' and must carry $100 000 liability insurance for under 2kg. It's because some idiots wrecked it. You all have to pay.
And that, in a very clear and concise nutshell, is the difference between a constitutional monarchy and a Republic.

And that, in a very clear and concise nutshell, is the difference between a constitutional monarchy and a Republic.
They will find any way that they can to turn this into a money grab as well......won't be long we'll have to register our ass so we can go take a Sh*t.
BTW...Speaking of guns, picked up one of these the other day before they get outlawed
.308 variety
62628.jpg

The government attempt at registering 'drones' will have 0 effect on safety, but is only to make it appear to the fear mongering public that their elected representatives are doing something to make them feel safer. It's just another government over reach and knee jerk reaction to cries from select individuals. And they can't effectively register them all anyway. To do so they would first have to start from 0. Every existing qualifying drone would have to be found and registered. Then every retailer would have to be set up on a central system to ID every purchaser. But wait, what about the used market? And let's not forget those like myself that build our own. Without a way to have 100% compliance (not possible) it would mean nothing and would instead be another BS government program wasting our tax dollars!

Exactly. In almost every aspect, drone registration can be compared to gun registration. In fact, it's almost scary how much they're following the same tortured logic..
Well, there never really has been anything scarier than idiocy in action, I reckon.
Oh, hey Raybro - nice Bushy!

Exactly. In almost every aspect, drone registration can be compared to gun registration. In fact, it's almost scary how much they're following the same tortured logic..
Well, there never really has been anything scarier than idiocy in action, I reckon.
Oh, hey Raybro - nice Bushy!
I'm sure there will be a fee involved....another tax. Anything the government does is money in their pockets.
Yep, still need to get a scope for it.
Bushmaster XM-10 20+1 308WIN/7.62NATO 16" ORC

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dachl