Voiding the warranty?

Reaction score
Hi all,

Saw a mention in another thread about a modification voiding their warranty. Go my curious as to what exactly would void my warranty?

Placing cardboard between my GPS and the copper shield, void my warranty or not?

Replacing no stock hdmi cable with the flat ribbon cable from relish. Void my warranty or not?

Replacing GPS with another GPS? Void my warranty or not? (This I assume yes).

I saw a video where someone added some extra vibration protection around the gimbal. Void warranty or not?

Using Tower? Void warranty or not?

And other mods people Are doing that might void our warranties?

I'm hoping to have the funds to order solo in the next month or two. I've already received a GPS shield, and have a ribbon HDMI cable on the way. Just want to make sure before I install anything I'm not voiding my warranty.

all have been addressed by 3DR do a search
bottom line if your mod don't cause the crash it is covered

Straight from the 3DR Solo Support page under Warranty
"This Warranty does not apply to: (1) Product subjected to abnormal use or conditions, accident (including without limitation, collision, crash or fire), alteration, or improper repair; "

I draw your attention to the words "alteration or improper repair"

I believe 3DR will fall back to this irrespective if the alteration/repair caused the crash/damage or not.

The only way I would believe that a modification would not void the warranty was if I had an official letter/document from 3DR stating my mod was such.

your call, but if you read around, your suspension is what is in doubt
lots of people who have received warranty support on modded copters

here is a clue for you.
It is open source, 3DR encourages people to improve on and play with the platform.
So long as your mod does not cause the crash no problem
example, if you do the GPS mod and a motor pod fails and crashes your copter then it will be covered. But hey your copter your call, enjoy

Reactions: Lamda
You were correct. I should have done a search prior to starting this thread. Have read others since. I am planning on doing the GPS cardboard mod and the ribbon hdmi cable. I do have the more powerful wifi cards as well. I may, after getting a feel for the solo stock, could see myself adding the new wifi card to the controller only. But who know, I may love it stock. Have no plans for going great distances. Had a tbs discovery pro with UHF system, that could do 5 miles, there and back (almost, really about 4 1/2). But I love the idea of the automation of solo and the ability of a single man crew creating cinematic shots.

I have heard of one warranty issue on the wifi cards, the board got fried in he swap
with the latest software I am getting 2000 feet easily in a WIFI congested neighborhood
Some need to fly further so that one is a risk worth reward call
I have the IMP gps mod because I did not trust cardboard
and I am running the ribbon cable.
But for now I don't plan to mod mine further

2000 feet is far enough for me. I was fine with the less then a mile capability of solo. I'll probably pick up an antenna like fplvr. I don't know that I'll swap the wifi cards, but I have them. I'm a bit of a parts hound. Hoping to clear some stuff out, going to put a whole bunch of gear and parts for sale on RC groups tomorrow. I came to RC flying via indie filmmaking. Then I got a little over board. Want to concentrate back on filmmaking again.

Have one of those drone boost GPS cards sitting in an envelope at home. Like that it was cut to fit over the GPS.

Greater signal strength isn't just for flying greater distances. It's also for penetrating power, like through trees and other obstacles, and less frequent losing connection in general. There are several places where I couldn't do an orbit around buildings using stock...through trees/forest. With the upgraded wifi cards (in controller only right now) and the FPVLR antenna, I'm able to get things that I just couldn't before. And I'm talking within 600-800 feet of the controller - well within Solos native range. It's just more stable and robust. I have flown it out 2 miles as well, with signal strength to spare (battery was the concern), but that type of flying is more rare for me.

Greater signal strength isn't just for flying greater distances. It's also for penetrating power, like through trees and other obstacles, and less frequent losing connection in general. There are several places where I couldn't do an orbit around buildings using stock...through trees/forest. With the upgraded wifi cards (in controller only right now) and the FPVLR antenna, I'm able to get things that I just couldn't before. And I'm talking within 600-800 feet of the controller - well within Solos native range. It's just more stable and robust. I have flown it out 2 miles as well, with signal strength to spare (battery was the concern), but that type of flying is more rare for me.

This is the exact reason I picked up a set of wifi cards

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Motoxxx1986