Very Discouraged.

Without looking at the logs, everything you describe sounds like a motor going bad. The wobbling, the first crash, the loss of control on the second flight. So 3DR's email looks legit on the surface. Once you swap in the new motor pod from 3DR, I'd also do those level and compass calibrations Earl recommended.
Yep, that's what 3DR said when they saw the logs. HOWEVER, now my Solo won't communicate at all. I can't get it to link to the controller.

I had a brand new pod fail after 3 flights. It crashed hard. Prior to the crash, I pressed RTH and it began to land waay out in the marsh. I frantically pressed pause with no results. SOLO landed in marsh grass. I relaunched and flew it in my direction when I got a manual flight mode indication on the TX. it then it said crash reported (or something bad like that.) It then rolled and crashed. lots of damage. Sent the logs in and an awesome guy named Aram informed me it was a bad pod and they WILL COVER ALL DAMAGES! and to think I was considering...DGI...

I had a brand new pod fail after 3 flights. It crashed hard. Prior to the crash, I pressed RTH and it began to land waay out in the marsh. I frantically pressed pause with no results. SOLO landed in marsh grass. I relaunched and flew it in my direction when I got a manual flight mode indication on the TX. it then it said crash reported (or something bad like that.) It then rolled and crashed. lots of damage. Sent the logs in and an awesome guy named Aram informed me it was a bad pod and they WILL COVER ALL DAMAGES! and to think I was considering...DGI...
Yeah, I think there is a big difference there. Neither product is perfect, and the 3DR motor pods apparently fail a lot. However, 3DR stands by their product to the point where they will replace a damaged GoPro as well.

Without looking at the logs, everything you describe sounds like a motor going bad. The wobbling, the first crash, the loss of control on the second flight. So 3DR's email looks legit on the surface. Once you swap in the new motor pod from 3DR, I'd also do those level and compass calibrations Earl recommended.
Yes, except now the Solo will not communicate with my controller, so I am apparently worse off than I thought.

Well, I thought it was all fine, but after I replaced the #2 motor as advised by 3DR (with one of the 2 extras I am travelling with), and took off on full auto after calibrating the level and compass (even though the Solo didn’t tell me to). My Solo crashed very much like before at about 8 ft off the ground. 3 propellers broke, but otherwise it didn’t seem to be seriously harmed.

I would say there is something seriously wrong with this drone.

yes - good to be curious pop the hood and get as familiar with every inch inside and out - if you're already not. it's so easy to get discouraged. we're flying a quad copter in whatever air is thrown up for us to use... i had it off gps once and realised how little i know about SOLO's abilities. i was humbled.

it's an advanced piece of yummy - and i don't know about you but i get excited every time i take it out. i've crashed and it was horrible. but after i saw the accident as a learning opportunity i've been so much more into the forums and the VAST knowledge here.

Reactions: DattaGroover
That's what 3DR said after analyzing the logs, and I replace the motor pod as they advised, but the same thing happened again today.

yes - good to be curious pop the hood and get as familiar with every inch inside and out - if you're already not. it's so easy to get discouraged. we're flying a quad copter in whatever air is thrown up for us to use... i had it off gps once and realised how little i know about SOLO's abilities. i was humbled.

it's an advanced piece of yummy - and i don't know about you but i get excited every time i take it out. i've crashed and it was horrible. but after i saw the accident as a learning opportunity i've been so much more into the forums and the VAST knowledge here.
Yeah, I was looking forward to this trip (Canadian Rockies, Japan, Australia, New Zealand) with my drone, but it looks like I need to just give it up for now. If I had more time I would find a way to make it work.

Reactions: emulsiondown
what's cool - if I understand correctly - you have another option as a backup to your SOLO or the other way - no matter. but if you can take the other copter - bet you get massive amounts of cool footage! have a wonderful trip regardless.

what's cool - if I understand correctly - you have another option as a backup to your SOLO or the other way - no matter. but if you can take the other copter - bet you get massive amounts of cool footage! have a wonderful trip regardless.
I did, but I had to choose one before I left the States. I would love to find a way to get that footage. One option would be to buy another Solo here in Calgary, while my Solo gets repaired, then sell one used later.

That's what 3DR said after analyzing the logs (they even told be which motor to replace), but the exact same thing happened today.

Well, I thought it was all fine, but after I replaced the #2 motor as advised by 3DR (with one of the 2 extras I am travelling with), and took off on full auto after calibrating the level and compass (even though the Solo didn’t tell me to). My Solo crashed very much like before at about 8 ft off the ground. 3 propellers broke, but otherwise it didn’t seem to be seriously harmed.

Did you replace the right motor?

Were you flying in an area where you might have gotten dirt or sand into the motors?

I agree. I am still waiting for a response from 3DR. This is what they said to me:We're sorry it's taking us so long to respond to your request. We are working hard to reduce our response time, but we haven't forgotten you and will reach out to you soon! Ticket sent on the 26th and We're sorry sent on the 28th.

Try calling them. I've found them to be really fast on the phones, and while their email support is also usually quick, a phone call speeds things up a lot.

Toll free at 1 (855) 982-2898 or direct at +1 (858) 225-1414

The 2 best things about the Solo (in my opinion) is
1) it's a better platform for video and photos than anything in its class
2) The customer support (including the warranty) is excellent

Try calling them. I've found them to be really fast on the phones, and while their email support is also usually quick, a phone call speeds things up a lot.

Toll free at 1 (855) 982-2898 or direct at +1 (858) 225-1414

The 2 best things about the Solo (in my opinion) is
1) it's a better platform for video and photos than anything in its class
2) The customer support (including the warranty) is excellent
Always call to start. Send logs via email if needed, but call on the phone. FYI they are 24/7

Reactions: DattaGroover

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr M