Very Discouraged.

Reaction score
Website
dattagroover.com
This afternoon my Solo was taking off normally, and basically went unstable 3-4 feet off the ground, ploughed into the dirt, and broke a prop. No idea why.

I thought maybe I had burned out an ESC, so later I tried it again (far away form any people or property). It flew just fine until it started flying erratically, and I lost (most) control. It went very fast in a backwards direction, but I was close to the ground (being careful) and was able to land it (another broken prop).

This is extremely discouraging. I would appreciate any insight you may have around why it would do this.

At this point I just feel like giving up. The Solo is great when it works, but this is not only dangerous, it negates all the positives of the machine. I had similar issues with the Phantom 2, but not as often.

I like the Solo platform much better than the Phantom's, but I know I'm not the only one it goes crazy on.

Who can tell me the best way to translate the logs?

Reactions: Projeffrey11
This afternoon my Solo was taking off normally, and basically went unstable 3-4 feet off the ground, ploughed into the dirt, and broke a prop. No idea why.

I thought maybe I had burned out an ESC, so later I tried it again (far away form any people or property). It flew just fine until it started flying erratically, and I lost (most) control. It went very fast in a backwards direction, but I was close to the ground (being careful) and was able to land it (another broken prop).

This is extremely discouraging. I would appreciate any insight you may have around why it would do this.

At this point I just feel like giving up. The Solo is great when it works, but this is not only dangerous, it negates all the positives of the machine. I had similar issues with the Phantom 2, but not as often.

I like the Solo platform much better than the Phantom's, but I know I'm not the only one it goes crazy on.

No translation necessary. Download and install mission planner. Open the logs with that. Go to the tememetry tab, and you can replay the flight. It will show you the craft on a map, altitude, speed etc. and also any errors Solo is seeing. If you post them here, others can help. N

Reactions: emulsiondown
No translation necessary. Download and install mission planner. Open the logs with that. Go to the tememetry tab, and you can replay the flight. It will show you the craft on a map, altitude, speed etc. and also any errors Solo is seeing. If you post them here, others can help. N
Will do, thanks. Just to clarify- you mean post the tlogs here?

Will do, thanks. Just to clarify- you mean post the tlogs here?
Yes. Several people are old hands at them. Also let us know if u get stuck. Easy once you do it once, byt u have to find your wY the first time. There is a fair amount of info re: MP out there.

Okay- these are the 3 logs that my Solo sent in to Tech support. It does not include the loss of control I experienced later.

Hmm, looks like I can't upload the unzipped files here, so here is the zip of all 3.

Attachments

• logs.zip
    176.4 KB · Views: 26
Reactions: ChopperPro
Okay- these are the 3 logs that my Solo sent in to Tech support. It does not include the loss of control I experienced later.

Hmm, looks like I can't upload the unzipped files here, so here is the zip of all 3.
If you had a loss of control later, you should be able to connect, start a ticket, and send those files. Those are the ones to look at.

If you had a loss of control later, you should be able to connect, start a ticket, and send those files. Those are the ones to look at.
I did send those files to 3DR. They are included in the zip in my post above.
. . . Or maybe I'm not understanding your question.

OH, I get it, you mean send the 2nd set of files in as well. So basically I lost control twice. One was a crash (from 3-4 feet) while the other was a partial loss of control (and complete loss of direction).

Are you able to tell much from the 1st set?

Last edited:

I had very similar issues today with Solo also. I was flying around in an open field that I have flown in many times prior(at least 20+ flights). Several times during the flight the controller stated that I had lost gps and it went into manual mode. For the last 3 weeks while flying at this same place this has occurred on every flight where the gps will be lost and go into fly manual. Today I was coming in for a landing. I hit my RTH button. Solo was coming in to land and about 6 feet from the ground Solo veered to the right came down, and crashed into me and the field table breaking two new props that I had just used for this flight. This erratic behavior has me questioning my use of Solo at this time. I want to enjoy the quad, but this has become very frustrating. I have logged a ticket, but I will be expecting 3DR to say that it was some BS and not give a straight answer, at least that has been my past experience in past ticket submissions. I am at about 80 percent close to just selling this thing and waiting to see what gets released in the Spring 2016. This summer dealing with Solo has been a major disappointment and letdown after all the hype about how great it would be. Four months and still not a complete working, fully functional unit. I don't get it!

Reactions: Projeffrey11
Just to clarify - are these flights taking place near each other,
i.e. in an area with known GPS lock problems?
Or is an entirely different location?

I had very similar issues today with Solo also. I was flying around in an open field that I have flown in many times prior(at least 20+ flights). Several times during the flight the controller stated that I had lost gps and it went into manual mode. For the last 3 weeks while flying at this same place this has occurred on every flight where the gps will be lost and go into fly manual. Today I was coming in for a landing. I hit my RTH button. Solo was coming in to land and about 6 feet from the ground Solo veered to the right came down, and crashed into me and the field table breaking two new props that I had just used for this flight. This erratic behavior has me questioning my use of Solo at this time. I want to enjoy the quad, but this has become very frustrating. I have logged a ticket, but I will be expecting 3DR to say that it was some BS and not give a straight answer, at least that has been my past experience in past ticket submissions. I am at about 80 percent close to just selling this thing and waiting to see what gets released in the Spring 2016. This summer dealing with Solo has been a major disappointment and letdown after all the hype about how great it would be. Four months and still not a complete working, fully functional unit. I don't get it!
I understand your frustration, I find my self in the same place, I'm almost ready to throw in the white flag, the Solo has been nothing but major issues and disappointments From lunch and if only at least it did what it is advertised to do but It can't even do that at this point in time. I've spent a lot of money already on just modifications just make the bird more stable and make the GPS actually work correctly, honestly, nobody should have to deal with all of this if only 3DR had just designed the Solo with time and patience, just flat out correctly.

Last edited:
Reactions: Engine24blue
Were you by any chance flying TOWER mission? I also had a similar situation a while back. Turned out to be a failing motor pod. Replaced and no problem since. If that is the problem, it's unfortunate and frustrating. But it has happened in the past and probably will in the future. Mechanical device and all that stuff. Sorry but there is an answer and a solution. Take heart in that 3DR will do all they can to support you and stand behind their product. I've heard that some other companies don't do that. I wouldn't know.

I hit my RTH button. Solo was coming in to land and about 6 feet from the ground Solo veered to the right came down, and crashed into me and the field table breaking two new props that I had just used for this flight.

This sounds like it lost GPS, was possibly pointing at you since you had initiated RTH, went in to manual and you either didn't respond in time or responded the wrong way. Logs will show stick input if you want to post them to see what happened.

Seems obvious to me. Solo appears to have lost lock and, as designed and intended, tries landing where it is.

I don't consider myself an MP expert. My bet is that 3DR may have more detailed insight. That said, the last file just shows the Solo upside down, waiting to be turned over, get GPS and arm. It was turned over at the last minute, and that was it.

The previous file shows a few problems.

1. It shows the craft not level at takeoff. If it was, the calibration is offf, and you likely should perform a level calibration.

2. The home point was VERY near trees. About 10 feet away?. (usually not a good idea) though it got a good GPS lock. This is important. Some GPS satellites can be near the horizon. If trees are not in the way, you will have a lock, until you move, sometimes a few feet. At best, you can get bad data and drift, and at worst, If they are required for lock, you will lose lock and go into manual.

3. After takeoff the craft went a few feet toward the trees, and recieved a "pos horiz variance" error which they can look into inmore detail, but is most often caused by bad GPS, when there is a BIG difference between what the compass is telling it and the GPS readings. I "suspect" this is the major culprit...

4. It then drifted closer to the trees (the GPS shows it in or near one) with some stick input, nudging it, and it tumbled close to straight down from there.

5. It then got a "Bad AHRS" error, which is "Attitude and Heading Reference System" and a problem with the calculation/values used in it. That could just be because it crashed, but it could also indicate problems with the level etc.

Again... No expert. But that is what I saw.

I would do a full and accurate level calibration (anywhere you can measure level) and also do a compass calibration at this site. I would also program "Manual" to the B button (if you haven't already) and practice flying in manual in an open space to get used to it.

You also really should get MP. Download it. Install it, and at that point you can just double click on any ffile with a .tlog extension to open them (rename the ones that don't end in .tlog).

Once open, go to the "telemetry" tab (center/left) and "play" the file. It shows the craft moving on a map with heading, home point, etc.. You can speed it up/slow it down, rewind it etc. You can also select the "tuning" checkbox (bottom/center) and bring up a simultaneous live graph of anything in Solo, inlcuding the stick and other inputs (which are chXin) where X=the input #, as well as motor outputs etc. You also had an AH (Artificial Horizon) display with altitude, level, and any alarms etc. etc.. It will tell you almost everything about your flights. There are other displays (in other tabs) and it takes a bit to get all the important values, but I have found that looking at logs this way, along WITH my memory of what I was seeing and experiencing has been a VERY good teacher. If nothing else, you can follow along and corroborate/deny when 3DR tells you something about your flights

One last thing, that I "just" got.... Slightly off topic, but related. I just talked to a friend that gave me a good tip. He has his wife fly the craft up high somewhere away from everything while he looks away, then turn it some random direction, put it in manual, and hand him the controls.

This way he is disoriented, and a bit frantic getting the controller swapped to him etc. Usually the craft would be drifting at this point. Being up high, he won't actually hit anything, and with good GPS (also up high) if all else fails, he can hit "fly" but.... it is very good practice for emergencies when you go into "manual".

I am curious to hear wht 3DR says. Let us know will you?

Last edited:
Reactions: BlueRidgeVis
This sounds like it lost GPS, was possibly pointing at you since you had initiated RTH, went in to manual and you either didn't respond in time or responded the wrong way. Logs will show stick input if you want to post them to see what happened.

I am not sure what happened. I do not know how to view the logs. I will post them, I know you are familiar with reading them. Thanks for your assistance regarding this matter.

Attachments

• logs(1).zip
    1 MB · Views: 7
I don't consider myself an MP expert. My bet is that 3DR may have more detailed insight. That said, the last file just shows the Solo upside down, waiting to be turned over, get GPS and arm. It was turned over at the last minute, and that was it.

1. It shows the craft not level at takeoff. If it was, the calibration is offf, and you likely should perform a level calibration.

2. The home point was VERY near trees. About 10 feet away?. (usually not a good idea) though it got a good GPS lock. This is important. Some GPS satellites can be near the horizon. If trees are not in the way, you will have a lock, until you move, sometimes a few feet. At best, you can get bad data and drift, and at worst, If they are required for lock, you will lose lock and go into manual.

3. After takeoff the craft went a few feet toward the trees, and recieved a "pos horiz variance" error which they can look into inmore detail, but is most often caused by bad GPS, when there is a BIG difference between what the compass is telling it and the GPS readings. I "suspect" this is the major culprit...

4. It then drifted closer to the trees (the GPS shows it in or near one) with some stick input, nudging it, and it tumbled close to straight down from there.

5. It then got a "Bad AHRS" error, which is "Attitude and Heading Reference System" and a problem with the calculation/values used in it. That could just be because it crashed, but it could also indicate problems with the level etc.

I would do a full and accurate level calibration (anywhere you can measure level) and also do a compass calibration at this site. I would also program "Manual" to the B button (if you haven't already) and practice flying in manual in an open space to get used to it.

You also really should get MP. Download it. Install it, and at that point you can just double click on any ffile with a .tlog extension to open them (rename the ones that don't end in .tlog).

Once open, go to the "telemetry" tab (center/left) and "play" the file. It shows the craft moving on a map with heading, home point, etc.. You can speed it up/slow it down, rewind it etc. You can also select the "tuning" checkbox (bottom/center) and bring up a simultaneous live graph of anything in Solo, inlcuding the stick and other inputs (which are chXin) where X=the input #, as well as motor outputs etc. You also had an AH (Artificial Horizon) display with altitude, level, and any alarms etc. etc.. It will tell you almost everything about your flights. There are other displays (in other tabs) and it takes a bit to get all the important values, but I have found that looking at logs this way, along WITH my memory of what I was seeing and experiencing has been a VERY good teacher. If nothing else, you can follow along and corroborate/deny when 3DR tells you something about your flights

One last thing, that I "just" got.... Slightly off topic, but related. I just talked to a friend that gave me a good tip. He has his wife fly the craft up high somewhere away from everything while he looks away, then turn it some random direction, put it in manual, and hand him the controls.

This way he is disoriented, and a bit frantic getting the controller swapped to him etc. Usually the craft would be drifting at this point. Being up high, he won't actually hit anything, and with good GPS (also up high) if all else fails, he can hit "fly" but.... it is very good practice for emergencies when you go into "manual".

I am curious to hear what 3DR says. Let us know will you?
I will let you know what they say. I did get MP, and I need more time to carefully analyze. I had at least 25 feet to any trees. The flight you describe doesn't sound like mine, but those are the files the controller said to send to 3DR. In this flight, it was lifting straight up, then went unstable 3 or 4 feet off the ground.

I am curious to hear wht 3DR says. Let us know will you?
The response I got back from 3DR is they said it appears to be a bad motor pod- apparently intermittent as I tested the Solo after the crash and they all worked fine. They said they would replace it. Okay, fine, but I'm not confident to put this back in the air yet. I am going to train myself to read and analyze the logs (especially the Flash logs) and figure these things out myself.

Without looking at the logs, everything you describe sounds like a motor going bad. The wobbling, the first crash, the loss of control on the second flight. So 3DR's email looks legit on the surface. Once you swap in the new motor pod from 3DR, I'd also do those level and compass calibrations Earl recommended.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nothingworks