Using the Solo for mapping..

Sent mine a little over a week ago. FAA says they are about 60 days backlogged. Was only 2 weeks a few months ago..
Do you have to get the exemption if you are a private pilot?

I think it may be the other way around. Some of the exemptions are requiring a pilot license. (which I have). From the FAA website:
Pilot certification requirements for petitions for exemption under Section 333 are evaluated on a case-by-case basis. While Section 333 grants the Secretary of Transportation flexibility with regard to airworthiness certification requirements, it does not grant the Secretary any flexibility with regard to airman certification standards as outlined in Sections 44703 and 44711 of Title 49 of the United States Code (49 USC). An FAA airman certificate is required to operate an aircraft in the National Airspace System.
Edit.. Just found this under the new section..
  • The agency now allows operations under these exemptions by people who hold a recreational or sport pilot certificate. Previously, Section 333 operators were required to have at least a private pilot certificate. The newly added certificates are easier to obtain, and therefore less costly, than a private pilot certificate.

I think it may be the other way around. Some of the exemptions are requiring a pilot license. (which I have). From the FAA website:
Pilot certification requirements for petitions for exemption under Section 333 are evaluated on a case-by-case basis. While Section 333 grants the Secretary of Transportation flexibility with regard to airworthiness certification requirements, it does not grant the Secretary any flexibility with regard to airman certification standards as outlined in Sections 44703 and 44711 of Title 49 of the United States Code (49 USC). An FAA airman certificate is required to operate an aircraft in the National Airspace System.
Edit.. Just found this under the new section..

• The agency now allows operations under these exemptions by people who hold a recreational or sport pilot certificate. Previously, Section 333 operators were required to have at least a private pilot certificate. The newly added certificates are easier to obtain, and therefore less costly, than a private pilot certificate.
I have a private pilot's license but I'm not current.

I have a private pilot's license but I'm not current.
I'm not current either, but you don't need a medical. They are allowing a valid driver's license to replace the medical. And since a pilot's license is good for life..You only need check rides to carry passengers or fly in controlled airspace. Neither of which you will be doing with a quad..

Yes, the FAA says you need 333 exemption to fly drones commercially. A condition of the granted exemption is that the PIC of the drone havce at least a sport pilot license.
You can read all 800 plus exemptions they have issued. All the more recent ones have the same 31 conditions.

I think the tough part of the 333s is that they want a drone pilot to have a full scale pilots license.

I'm not current either, but you don't need a medical. They are allowing a valid driver's license to replace the medical. And since a pilot's license is good for life..You only need check rides to carry passengers or fly in controlled airspace. Neither of which you will be doing with a quad..
My original purpose for owning a drone was to provide some of the Real Estate agencies some good video of properties they list. Something they could place on the internet.
I was going to offer it as a favor without charge in hopes of getting some real estate inspection business from that.....my side job. If it goes well and I end up doing more of that and less inspections I would have to have a fee, therefore an exemption.

By the way, tower has a nice feature to help with mapping. See the survey mode in the edit mission draw tool.

For anybody in California, I offer a "DIY" 333 exemption service. Provides the insight of an attorney and fellow flyer without the expense of a big firm.

Daryl Crouse
[email protected]

Reactions: Raybro

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nothingworks