using a mirrorless/compact system camera on the Solo - anyone tried it?

Reaction score
I've got my gimbal finally and have been massively enjoying shooting anything and everything, but of course my mind goes to "what's next?".

Given the power and flight-time of the gopro equipped Solo, I'm pretty sure this platform could pretty easily support a larger camera. Has anyone tested this at all? Is it possible to mount a larger, non-3DR gimbal?

thanks

no and yes , i did try to install 3 gopros on my solo -no gimbal- just because i can and it did fly but it had a noticeable flight time decrease - probably not more than 10 mins , the added wait of a compact-mirrorless camera + gimbal will make a difference and the quality of video -fps- won't be the same (depending on your camera of course

I could be wrong, but before purchasing 3DR Solo, one of the thing I read in their marketing was it is supposed to be an open source, meaning 3DR alllows third party companies to develop accessories for it. By this understanding, I hope that someone would develop more powerful motors, props and/or battery to carry heavier loads such as DSLR camera and gimbal. I have Panasonic GH4, I only hope this will happen in the future.

Last edited:
I could be wrong, but before purchasing 3DR Solo, one of the thing I read in their marketing was it is supposed to be an open source, meaning 3DR alllows third party companies to develop accessories for it. By this understanding, I hope that someone would develop more powerful motors, props and/or battery to carry heavier loads such as DSLR camera and gimbal. I have Panasonic GH4, I only hope this will happen in the future.
It is based on the PixHawk2 and a lot of other open source. Bigger motors would actually (programming wise) be excedeny simple As would larger/more batteries. The harder part would be coming up with the physical designs, though I personally know if at least one person that is working now on extended batteries.

Our team is working on a stamina kit for the solo, underslung secondary battery and bigger motors, could work well with a bigger gimbal

Reactions: Earldgrayjr
Our team is working on a stamina kit for the solo, underslung secondary battery and bigger motors, could work well with a bigger gimbal
Very interesting. Where can I follow along with your progress?

Reactions: mballas
Very interesting. Where can I follow along with your progress?

At the minute we are playing catch up with the paperwork, as we have 5 engineers, 5 solos and a boat load of ideas being randomly tested on each.

When we finally get everything amalgamated it will be held on my site over at www.noble-view.co.uk

I've played around with a canon vixia mini x which I've duct taped to the underside of my solo. Admittedly crude, and subject to magnetic interference errors--the metal of the camera back has to be away from the solo, but it was a good test of the payload capacity of solo and I'll likely play with other configurations over time.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc