Upgrade or buy something else?

Wow, didn't expect this topic to go this far. Thanks to all that commented. I'm meeting a local guy this week who is selling his Solo equipment (Solo, 3 batts, 3dr case, gimbal, and alfa ant) for $300. If it flys and looks good, I may get it. This would make my 2nd Solo and I would still need a gopro.

If anyone see this in time, is this a good deal? How much would you expect to pay for everything?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Geez, what does that cost? Between all the cameras, mods and Solos, you have got to be in Inspire country
I have 6 GP's used not just for Solo but other stuff also. 5 Solo's, + 5 aftermarket GPS, one Green cube , 12 batteries, three cases, camera filters = less than $2500. probably closer to $2200. Why would I want an Inspire? I will build an Ardupilot controlled copter to carry what I need before I would even think of an Inspire.

Wow, didn't expect this topic to go this far. Thanks to all that commented. I'm meeting a local guy this week who is selling his Solo equipment (Solo, 3 batts, 3dr case, gimbal, and alfa ant) for $300. If it flys and looks good, I may get it. This would make my 2nd Solo and I would still need a gopro.

If anyone see this in time, is this a good deal? How much would you expect to pay for everything?

Thanks.
Well worth it if the gimbal works.

I have 6 GP's used not just for Solo but other stuff also. 5 Solo's, + 5 aftermarket GPS, one Green cube , 12 batteries, three cases, camera filters = less than $2500. probably closer to $2200. Why would I want an Inspire? I will build an Ardupilot controlled copter to carry what I need before I would even think of an Inspire.

Fair enough. To each there own but I'd get an Inspire.

Inspire 2 with the X7 system. I just can't bring myself to spend the money and the people I work for would not know the difference

O.K.. Ardupilot is more capable but not exactly a turn key system.

This is a perfect opportunity! I've heard you guys say that over the years and I've often wondered... "capable" of what, exactly? I'm nor sure that anyone had ever broken down what the Solo can do that a DJI Inspire 2 can't or Phantom 4 Pro, for that matter? I know a lot of you don't like DJI but that doesn't make the Solo "better", just like my dislike of Ford doesn't make my Challenger faster than a Mustang. You know? It's an honest question.

Can you add an ADS-B Reciever to a Phantom 4 Pro? Have you ever seen the Mission options in Mission Planner?

Hey thanks for the response! Well, DJI is working on a transponder system and I admit to not being sure if you can fit an aftermarket solution. I'm not sure why not since guys are fitting dual batteries, etc. I'm not the expert you are but to my knowledge, all that is required is a power source, right?

To your other point, the are several programs that work with DJI including the system developed by 3DR.... you do know that mapping is main function of several DJI drones, right?

yes I know this. The ADS-B stuff needs to be interpreted and shown on the GCS.

Ah well, I admit to not being an expert in these matters. Just to play the devil's advocate, why do I care about have a transponder on a Mavic or P4P? I mean so many people complain about DJI/ the gov't knowing where you are and/or controlling where you can fly, why would you volunteer your location? Just asking since several people have stated that as a reason to avoid DJI.

Wait, if you add a transponder to the Solo it shows in the app or on the controller? Again, I'm not an expert.

Ah well, I admit to not being an expert in these matters. Just to play the devil's advocate, why do I care about have a transponder on a Mavic or P4P? I mean so many people complain about DJI/ the gov't knowing where you are and/or controlling where you can fly, why would you volunteer your location? Just asking since several people have stated that as a reason to avoid DJI.

Wait, if you add a transponder to the Solo it shows in the app or on the controller? Again, I'm not an expert.
It's currently a reciever only. Shows air traffic out to about a 30 mile radius. It's actually a condition of a 6 month class D airspace waiver I received. The air traffic shows up on mission planner with the altitude and ID of the aircraft

It's currently a reciever only. Shows air traffic out to about a 30 mile radius. It's actually a condition of a 6 month class D airspace waiver I received. The air traffic shows up on mission planner with the altitude and ID of the aircraft

Okay, now that is sweet! Can you get that as a stand alone device or is it already stand alone linked to your phone or laptop? I'm serious, this is very interesting.

Interesting! I would like to be able to see surrounding aircraft but as an ex anti aircraft gunner, I'm wondering what the implications for terrorism might be if this is readily available?
Not much, I mean anyone can log into flight aware and see where just about every plane is... The only difference is that you're seeing it via a different program (mission planner). If anything it's a handy tool for getting the heck out of a planes way when you're flying your drone.

Not much, I mean anyone can log into flight aware and see where just about every plane is... The only difference is that you're seeing it via a different program (mission planner). If anything it's a handy tool for getting the heck out of a planes way when you're flying your drone.

Just curious...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc