Upgrade or buy something else?

I've seen that camera. It's pretty interesting but you can't control it from the controller or from far away... I guess you could pick your shots in post but I'm also suspicious of the video quality. Casey did a review on it and wasn't overly impressed if I'm not mistaken.

I hear you on NFZs but I swear I have never been prevented from flying anywhere that I've wanted to by DJI. I'm actually appreciating the system because it has warned me of helipads and unpaved airports around me that I wouldn't have known about otherwise. I like that it keeps me abreast of possible hazards while I'm flying. As with anything, you can focus on the negative or the positive. I don't doubt that there have been bugs but DJI constantly updates the system and you are capable of submitting any false NFZs to them for review.
For what I've been reading, the Rylo's video capabilities are very good, mostly its stabilization. They just released a software update that allows for filming 180 instead of 360 in order to increase resolution. Sounds interesting. Also read comments about the stills not being as good as the ones from a Ricoh Theta S (which I own) but the company is also releasing some software updates for it. However, I still need to "find" $500 in my budget to get one.

As far as NFZs, I'd rather be the one deciding instead of missing an opportunity because of a bug. You that thing about Murphy's Law. ;-)

If just looking for still shots a Sony A5100 can't be beat. Same weight, or close to, a gimbal plus Gopro. Solo carries it just fine.

For what I've been reading, the Rylo's video capabilities are very good, mostly its stabilization. They just released a software update that allows for filming 180 instead of 360 in order to increase resolution. Sounds interesting. Also read comments about the stills not being as good as the ones from a Ricoh Theta S (which I own) but the company is also releasing some software updates for it. However, I still need to "find" $500 in my budget to get one.

As far as NFZs, I'd rather be the one deciding instead of missing an opportunity because of a bug. You that thing about Murphy's Law. ;-)

Again I don't love NFZs but so far, I haven't had a problem in over a year and about 200 flights. I could start a war about how many shots I've missed because my Solo wasn't working, or lost GPS, or poor signal, or didn't want to control the Hero, or.... just saying. I go by my experience and not the 1% of nay sayers that are the most vocal. There have been more Mavics sold than all other drones combined if I'm not mistaken.

If you have a use for the Rylo beyond the Solo, I'd give it a go. If not, I can't see the point in spending $500. That's just an opinion, of course. I'm still not seeing the Rylo as a long range camera... every video I've seen has been at close range. I'm not sure that scenery would be its strong point. For the record, I tried my Samsung Gear 360 on my Solo and I was less than impressed.

I have three Solo's with working gimbals and one Mavic Pro. When I travel I always take the Pro.
Flying around for fun and to get the shot I want I fly the Solo. If your going to do real estate photogaphy
both are great. If you buy the Mavic Pro you will not be disappointed. That said when I traveled to Scotland
I took my Solo and filmed a castle from the 1200's. The Solo with Hero 4 Silver camera did not disappoint.
Here is a video taken with Solo In England where we stayed in the house that inspired the author to write the book "Wuthering Hieghts"
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Very nice video! I'm still working on my editing skills but I'm getting there. I have over 4T of video that I haven't touched! Hahaha!

I don't know. None of my Solo's fly away or crash. Sony is only about $100 more than a hero 6 or a 4 from Peau with an aftermarket lens

I don't know. None of my Solo's fly away or crash. Sony is only about $100 more than a hero 6 or a 4 from Peau with an aftermarket lens

Omg that is absolutely true! The Peau setup is stupid expensive but it does allow for the camera to be controlled with the controller.

My Sony A6000 was on sale for $700 with two lenses. But I also wouldn't use my Hero 5 or 6 with the Solo but I've had a few negative experiences. I bought an inexpensive action cam from Amazon that works pretty good. However, I just fly the Solo for fun these days.

A little background: I make bush flying films for BackcountryPilot.org. The Youtube channel is in my signature. Still kind of new to the drone shooting thing but I think we have made them work for what we do.

I have two UAS: Solo and a Mavic Air. The convenience for travel with the Mavic Air is undeniable, and its camera specs are beyond that of a HERO4. but while everything about it seems well-thought-out, so does the Solo. I am often amazed at what a great piece of engineering the Solo is, even now, year(s) after its abandonment.

The artistic freedom you get from being able to swap lenses on the GoPro is a powerful tool. I don't think you can get a similar feel with longer lenses from DJI unless you step up to an Inspire with the Zenmuse platform. But this was shot on the GoPro on my Solo the other day:

I'm going out tomorrow morning in my airplane to film some flying at a local strip and will take both drones. I guess if I had to choose one, it would be the Mavic Air, because travel is so important, but I don't have to choose just one. Any my work is better for it.

I have four Gopro 4 blacks all with different lenses ranging from 3.37mm to 8.25. If you know how to use them you can get very good results.

P.S. I have seen a Backcountrypilot.org video. Cool stuff.

A little background: I make bush flying films for BackcountryPilot.org. The Youtube channel is in my signature. Still kind of new to the drone shooting thing but I think we have made them work for what we do.

I have two UAS: Solo and a Mavic Air. The convenience for travel with the Mavic Air is undeniable, and its camera specs are beyond that of a HERO4. but while everything about it seems well-thought-out, so does the Solo. I am often amazed at what a great piece of engineering the Solo is, even now, year(s) after its abandonment.

The artistic freedom you get from being able to swap lenses on the GoPro is a powerful tool. I don't think you can get a similar feel with longer lenses from DJI unless you step up to an Inspire with the Zenmuse platform. But this was shot on the GoPro on my Solo the other day:

I'm going out tomorrow morning in my airplane to film some flying at a local strip and will take both drones. I guess if I had to choose one, it would be the Mavic Air, because travel is so important, but I don't have to choose just one. Any my work is better for it.

That is so cool! I would never deny the amazing engineering behind the Solo but it's telling that we compare it to the Mavics and Spark when it's direct competition is the Phantom 4 Pro. I'm not sure that anyone can make a convincing case for the Solo plus a Hero 4 being the superior platform in any category. However, I love these types of discussions and would be happy to have it if anyone is game!

I have four Gopro 4 blacks all with different lenses ranging from 3.37mm to 8.25. If you know how to use them you can get very good results.

P.S. I have seen a Backcountrypilot.org video. Cool stuff.

Geez, what does that cost? Between all the cameras, mods and Solos, you have got to be in Inspire country

If you watch YouTube vids from sites like thirdphaseofthemoon
They have what looks like a DJI 4 Pro, they were trying to get it to fly offshore in very light Tradewinds and that overpriced toy was getting blown back a Solo however is not even fun to fly in less than 25-30mph gusts, she just pitches her nose down and powers through!
I have many quads and am now able to fly my EMAX HAWK 5 instead of it "flying me" lol, just recently got my Hawk to 109mph and there is more speed in her!
I got my Solo in the glory days (NIB Gimbal $35), I'm using a GoPro 3+black edition and the Rev. B GPS, I Put in the 3D printed isolation plate took off the copper shield, using Solex of course. I have 2 batteries that I use and 7 that I peridocilly check that they are at "store voltage" Of my 2 fly batteries they both still give me 18+ min flight time (with gimbal) so I'm happy, I would never get a DJI For a Camera bird!, just my humble opinion [emoji846]

This sounds very familiar. The Solo is where it all started for me. Customized one Solo including TMotors and the other Solo I used for sport and acro mode only. I didn't know it at the time but that got my feet wet to my new love-building, racing, and freestyle FPV. Got one of those Emax Hawk5 now as well. Would probably never own a DJI. I don't fly my Solo's as much but when I do its still fun

That is so cool! I would never deny the amazing engineering behind the Solo but it's telling that we compare it to the Mavics and Spark when it's direct competition is the Phantom 4 Pro. I'm not sure that anyone can make a convincing case for the Solo plus a Hero 4 being the superior platform in any category. However, I love these types of discussions and would be happy to have it if anyone is game!

This is the kind of question (OP) asked by someone who wants only one drone. Most people would err on the side of portability and the versatility of the standard wide angle lens. I wouldn't opt for the Phantom over Solo because I like the flexibility of lens swaps. And I like the burgeoning developer/open-source community for Solo. It's so cool that the guys in this community know so much about the software behind Solo to the poojtwhere they forked it. I suspect that doesn't exist in the DJI community. I've never posted in the DJI forum and likely never will. I also prefer Linux, Telemark skiing, fly-fishing, and taildraggers; the difficult path to anything, hahaha. These are my people here.

There's something to be said for the intangibles.

This is the kind of question (OP) asked by someone who wants only one drone. Most people would err on the side of portability and the versatility of the standard wide angle lens. I wouldn't opt for the Phantom over Solo because I like the flexibility of lens swaps. And I like the burgeoning developer/open-source community for Solo. It's so cool that the guys in this community know so much about the software behind Solo to the poojtwhere they forked it. I suspect that doesn't exist in the DJI community. I've never posted in the DJI forum and likely never will. I also prefer Linux, Telemark skiing, fly-fishing, and taildraggers; the difficult path to anything, hahaha. These are my people here.

There's something to be said for the intangibles.

Well as someone that has between on both sides, I can assure you that there are plenty of software hacks for DJI products. There are guys that have gotten the Mavic to fly 8000 feet or more high! Dual battery mods, camera mods, etc. The problem with a lot of you guys is that you're so closed minded. You all start or end your posts with "I'll never own a DJI product"... So basically, the facts don't matter at all, this is an emotional decision. Like Harley guys that claim they'd rather push a broken down hog than ride a Jap bike. Hahaha!

The problem with a lot of you guys is that you're so closed minded. You all start or end your posts with "I'll never own a DJI product"... So basically, the facts don't matter at all, this is an emotional decision. Like Harley guys that claim they'd rather push a broken down hog than ride a Jap bike. Hahaha!

Did you miss the part where I said I have a Mavic Air? I also have an Osmo and a Ronin. I'm pretty technology agnostic for the most part, but enjoy the ethos of open source. I'm a lens whore though and that really turns me on more than anything.

Did you miss the part where I said I have a Mavic Air? I also have an Osmo and a Ronin. I'm pretty technology agnostic for the most part, but enjoy the ethos of open source. I'm a lens whore though and that really turns me on more than anything.
Did you miss the part where I said some of you guys? Besides the fact that you don't know that DJI products are just about as hackable as Solo shows that you are kinda closed minded. You can eliminate nfzs and all other limits if you want. The lens thing is interesting for sure but the cost seems rather prohibitive unless you know of a way to swap lens on a Hero that I'm unaware of. Like I said, I honestly like these types of discussions because i end up learning things ase it gives me a chance to re evaluate my own decisions. As an all around drone, I honestly don't think the Mavic Pro can be beat. There can always be some specific area that you could point to and say another drone is better but they always come up short in several other areas.

Anyway, there's one area that the Solo wins in hands down and that's speed! I'll probably get mine out and do some Acro or Sport flying this week. That's one thing you don't get with DJI.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc