Upgrade GoPro or add a new lens?

Reaction score
Hi, nice forum. Lots of great info.

I have a GoPro Hero 3 Black which is a few years old. I've been looking at the nice Peau lenses to improve video quality, but wondering what you guys would do.

Add a lens to an old GoPro or is the most recent GoPro the better way to go and add a lens after? Just wondering what I'm missing with the older model camera?

...I have a GoPro Hero 3 Black which is a few years old. I've been looking at the nice Peau lenses to improve video quality...

Add a lens to an old GoPro or is the most recent GoPro the better way to go and add a lens after?
"the most recent GoPro" is GP5 which doesn't work on Solo with the gimbal. and AFAIK, Peau isn't doing lens for GP5 yet anyway. I just (finally) ordered a 3.97 GPH4B this weekend and asked them to leave Version 3.x FW.

I did read that somewhere that the 5 wouldn't be a good option. Thanks.

I'm not doing full time film work with the solo or anything, but just wondering how much I'm missing out going from 3 black to the 4 black?

I did read that somewhere that the 5 wouldn't be a good option. Thanks.

I'm not doing full time film work with the solo or anything, but just wondering how much I'm missing out going from 3 black to the 4 black?

I have both the Hero 3+ Black and Hero 4 Silver. I don't think you are really gaining that much other than the Hero 4 Silver has 2.7K x 30fps. But I use mostly 1080 x 60fps, for the most part, so the difference is not much at all. Just my opinion. Probably cheaper to go the lens changeout rather than new camera, at this point.

I have both the Hero 3+ Black and Hero 4 Silver. I don't think you are really gaining that much other than the Hero 4 Silver has 2.7K x 30fps. But I use mostly 1080 x 60fps, for the most part, so the difference is not much at all. Just my opinion. Probably cheaper to go the lens changeout rather than new camera, at this point.
Thanks. Is the lens change-out easy? I see the potential issue with pink edges. Is the $25 profile recommended from Peau? It lists the GPH4 and 5 as the main recommended cameras to have pink edge issues.

Check this thread for GP recommended settings and the explanation.
Suggested GoPro Settings for Solo

If I were spending the money for a new GP, I'd throw in the extra couple of bucks and get the GPH4B because of increased capabilities. Apparently $300 for the GPH4B or the Peau GPH4B with 3.97mm and pink already removed... was $450 this past weekend, but now ???
GoPro HERO 4 Black vs Silver

I have a GoPro hero 3 white edition and I can live feed to my drone but I have to start and stop the recording manually on camera and I have to unplug the go pro twice before flight to get the feed to work. Is this normal?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

I have a GoPro hero 3 white edition and I can live feed to my drone but I have to start and stop the recording manually on camera and I have to unplug the go pro twice before flight to get the feed to work. Is this normal?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Yes, I've resorted to using a doubled up piece of Saran wrap (like the stuff to put over a bowl of food) to cover the back plug on my Go Pro. Still have to start recording manually before takeoff. There's been lots of problems with the GoPro hero 3.

Check this thread for GP recommended settings and the explanation.
Suggested GoPro Settings for Solo

If I were spending the money for a new GP, I'd throw in the extra couple of bucks and get the GPH4B because of increased capabilities. Apparently $300 for the GPH4B or the Peau GPH4B with 3.97mm and pink already removed... was $450 this past weekend, but now ???
GoPro HERO 4 Black vs Silver

Modified GoPro Hero 4B from Peau are now permanently $400+.

We'll have modified Hero 5 cameras, our same high quality glass filters and compatible lenses later this month.

With Hero4 Black you get Linear view and higher resolution & fps. For drone flying, you're not missing much comparing Hero3 and Hero4 Silver, but there is a significant diffference between Hero3 and Hero4 Black. With the Hero5 out now, you can find a Hero4 Black for much cheaper than modifying your Hero3, and your going to be able to do more with your camera outside of the drone, such as night laps and star trails. You might not have an interest in the extra features now, but once you start playing around with it, you'll be happy you went with the Hero4 black.

Reactions: SARDG
With Hero4 Black you get Linear view and higher resolution & fps. For drone flying, you're not missing much comparing Hero3 and Hero4 Silver, but there is a significant diffference between Hero3 and Hero4 Black. With the Hero5 out now, you can find a Hero4 Black for much cheaper than modifying your Hero3, and your going to be able to do more with your camera outside of the drone, such as night laps and star trails. You might not have an interest in the extra features now, but once you start playing around with it, you'll be happy you went with the Hero4 black.
The Silver has linear mode too, for folks that don't know.

Thanks for that, but you would still recommend a better lens with the Hero4 black?

I would recommend a lens all day long! You'll get a clearer image and you can even get a different perspective by changing up the field of view. But I will add that you're chasing diminishing returns, if this is just for fun find a good deal on a newer GoPro and call it a day.

Reactions: SARDG
I have a GoPro Hero 3 Black which is a few years old. I've been looking at the nice Peau lenses to improve video quality, but wondering what you guys would do.

Wait wait wait, you have Black3 or Black3+ ?
I dont think Black3 Originale will work on Solo's gimbal but the Black3+ can .
I tested Silver3+ for fun and it wont work...we must press record manually and that is that ;)
I can test Black3 orginale with Solo gimbal for you if you want, I have a few Black3.

I would recommend a lens all day long! You'll get a clearer image and you can even get a different perspective by changing up the field of view. But I will add that you're chasing diminishing returns, if this is just for fun find a good deal on a newer GoPro and call it a day.

I hear you. I don't expect to have a top of the line system long term. I just want to get a nice setup that will shoot really nice footage for a few years which I think the solo and lens will be solid for a few years.

I don't get out enough to use it, hoping to find/make more time.

Wait wait wait, you have Black3 or Black3+ ?
I dont think Black3 Originale will work on Solo's gimbal but the Black3+ can .
I tested Silver3+ for fun and it wont work...we must press record manually and that is that ;)
I can test Black3 orginale with Solo gimbal for you if you want, I have a few Black3.

I have the black3+. Runs well, just wanted to see what I was missing from a black4.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44