Update 1.3.1 to Open Solo 4 dev via SSH/Sftp

Reaction score
I got stuck upgrading from 3dr original firmaware 1.3.1 to open solo 4 dev using SSH and SFTP. I loaded arducopter.apj (4 Dec 2019) into the solo /firmware directory and rebooted and nothing changed!
I found in the instructions: "ArduCopter 3.7 uses the new ChibiOS RTOS. The firmware files have a file extension of *.apj. Due to the file extension change, the firmware will not load without some additional file changes. The beta testing packages in Solex and SidePilot include this"
What are the file changes and what is the process for installing ardupilot.apj instead of .px4? I don't have Solex or Sidepilot and prefer to use SSH/SFTP

Reaction score
Ah, you found a bug in the instructions. The automated scripts copy some updated python files to the copter at the same time to make that work. You'll need to put the new pixhawk.py and uploader.py files in the /usr/bin directory and reboot (delete what you had in the /firmware folder first). While you're in there, make sure those new files you copied in have execute permissions. Then retry the copter firmware.

Right click, save as on these two files.
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/OpenSolo/OpenSolo/master/sololink/flightcode/python/pixhawk.py
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/OpenSolo/OpenSolo/master/sololink/px_uploader/uploader.py

Reaction score
Ah, you found a bug in the instructions. The automated scripts copy some updated python files to the copter at the same time to make that work. You'll need to put the new pixhawk.py and uploader.py files in the /usr/bin directory and reboot (delete what you had in the /firmware folder first). While you're in there, make sure those new files you copied in have execute permissions. Then retry the copter firmware.

Right click, save as on these two files.
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/OpenSolo/OpenSolo/master/sololink/flightcode/python/pixhawk.py
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/OpenSolo/OpenSolo/master/sololink/px_uploader/uploader.py
Matt,
Thanks for all the work you have done on open solo. You have injected new life into the solo!
I don't think there is a bug in the instructions. They just did not address updating from the old 3DR firmware to open solo for the black cube via SSH.
Could you take a quick look at the instruction summary before I proceed?
Should anything be done with artoo_2019-09-29_01-59.bin??
Install instructions for SSH/SFTP to upgrade from 3dr 1.3.1 to open solo 4
SSH into the copter with IP 10.1.1.10, username root, password TjSDBkAu
  • Put the new pixhawk.py and uploader.py files in the /usr/bin directory with execute permissions
  • Delete what you had in the /firmware folder
  • Reboot
  • Copy ardupilot.apj (Dec 2019 version) to /firmware
  • Reboot and it should install ardupilot v3.7
Then
SSH into the copter with IP 10.1.1.10, username root, password TjSDBkAu.
# sololink_config --update-prepare sololink cleans up and prepares the directories.
Copy 3dr-solo.tar.gz and 3dr-solo.tar.gz.md5 to the /log/updates directory on the copter.
# sololink_config --update-apply sololink --reset executes the update and reboots.
And
SSH into the controller with IP 10.1.1.1, username root, password TjSDBkAu
# sololink_config --update-prepare sololink cleans up and prepares the directories.
Copy 3dr-controller.tar.gz and 3dr-controller.tar.gz.md5 to the /log/updates directory on the controller.
# sololink_config --update-apply sololink --reset executes the update and reboots.
Then:
SSH into the copter with IP 10.1.1.10, username root, password TjSDBkAu.
# sololink_config --make-golden executes the update. Disconnect when complete.
SSH into the controller with IP 10.1.1.1, username root, password TjSDBkAu
# sololink_config --make-golden executes the update. Disconnect when complete.
Thanks
Tony

Reactions: SJS3DR
Reaction score
Yes that is all correct.

When you do that ArduCopter firmware update, it may not give you the final happy tones/lights. So if after a few minutes it is still just sitting there, manually power cycle the copter. It should power up again happy and glad with ArduCopter 4.0 installed (it is 4.0, not 3.7 at this point).

Reaction score
Thanks for your instructions, it worked.
I did the update and am now on opensolo 4-dev with arducopter 4
One minor problem
I get a message on the solo android app to update to version 2.4.2
It says "you must update your vehicle to access smart shots.....no other changes since 2.4.1???
Also what is artoo.bin?
Best regards
Tony

Reaction score
The old 3DR app is not compatible with many many things today. It hasn't been updated by 3DR since 2016. You're getting that error message because the app doesn't like the version number 4-dev. It will do that with any version number that isn't clean numbers. Ignore the error, and really I wouldn't suggest using the 3DR app anymore.

Reaction score
This just helped me out a lot, thank you! I did the same process from stock solo to opensolo 3.0 via ssh and then trying to go to 4.0-dev again via ssh. The python file update was the key to getting it done. I use SSH method because the Solex app does not show me any software to pick in the update menu and the refresh option is grayed out. Not sure why Solex does not show this. Maybe because I am new to it and did something wrong there. I also cannot find the calibration options in Solex, so I used the old 3dr app to activate level and compass calibrations.
Thanks again for all the great work keeping these solo's up to date.
Dale

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
daviesderrick