Reaction score
If I want to teach someone to fly, what is a good way to maintain the ability to take over if they get in to trouble? I realize they're not terribly difficult with all the self stabilizing, but a part of it is trust as well, especially when working with kids. Traditional RC controllers have a trainer switch that a teaching pilot can use to give and take control from a student. I would be fine with even just having a button on my phone or laptop I could hit quickly to pause, land, or return to home. I know I can override with mission planner by assigning a waypoint, but I would like to have something faster than that.

Thanks!

The method is to grab the controller out of their hands. There is no means to connect a second controller. You can however have as many phones and tablets connected as you want. On the first one connected will get the video feed. But you can have another phone/tablet connected for you to use. The 3DR Solo app and Solex app do not have the means to change modes or hit brake though. But if you use the Tower app, you will have access to all the flight modes in the upper right. You could do what you're asking if you use Tower on your phone.

Reactions: Paco103
The method is to grab the controller out of their hands. There is no means to connect a second controller. You can however have as many phones and tablets connected as you want. On the first one connected will get the video feed. But you can have another phone/tablet connected for you to use. The 3DR Solo app and Solex app do not have the means to change modes or hit brake though. But if you use the Tower app, you will have access to all the flight modes in the upper right. You could do what you're asking if you use Tower on your phone.

Except for taking direct control I think. Obviously on Tower, as P2P alludes, you can change flight modes. I don't believe there is a way to take horizontal and vertical control though. Although you could change to Guided as long as you have a good GPS lock to move it where you wanted.

The beauty of teaching someone on the Solo is all they have to do is release the sticks (while in Fly mode) for the aircraft to stop where it is. I simply would not be training someone I didn't trust well enough to let go of the sticks when instructed to do so.
As P2P already mentioned the alternate is to grab the controller away from them which takes more time than you think.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The beauty of teaching someone on the Solo is all they have to do is release the sticks (while in Fly mode) for the aircraft to stop where it is. I simply would not be training someone I didn't trust well enough to let go of the sticks when instructed to do so.
As P2P already mentioned the alternate is to grab the controller away from them which takes more time than you think.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
That is how I let my 6 yr. old grandson fly. I put it in turtle mode, and he knows to let go of the sticks when I tell him to. He loves it.

@Pedals2Paddles Thanks, Tower App did exactly what I wanted. I am working with an after school high school program. The tower app gave me pause and home buttons right on the bottom of the screen to give me a little piece of mind while giving kids a chance. They did well and want to learn how to build them now, which was the goal as it's a technology program.

Reactions: BigTulsa

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc