To Polarize, or not to Polarize... That is the question

Reaction score
And the answer is:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

This is the first in a series of videos comparing the impact filters can have on your Solo footage. No matter what camera you are using, these little videos will help you understand what these filters can do to improve your videos.

Please take a look, and look for my next one on the .4ND filter!

Thanks for watching!!

Reactions: agd and RichWest
I think your point would have shown better if you flipped the polarized split screen to the water side. The contrasting light on that portion is what I have issues with.

Last edited:
I think your point would have shown better if you flipped the polarized split screen to the water side. The contrasting light on that portion is what I have issues with.

I understand. I'll do that on Friday for you. Two water shots. Right?

Reactions: RichWest
I think you should move around, pan, etc.

Difficult to do that in trying to match the shots when using a Quadcopter. I do have a side X side setup, but it would only sit on the ground, and not be realistic for Quadcopter flyers.

Thanks for the suggestion though

True, I didn't think of that as I haven't used it before. I'll need to research how to do it.

Thanks

Polarizing filters have the maximum effect when the sun is at 90 degrees to the sky. When the sun is directly behind you they have no effect. Anyplace in between they produce uneven skies.

I think the answer lies in your situation and in treating it like every other photo/video gig. Spend 95% f your time planning your shot and 5% of your time shooting it.

BTW the best planning tool I'very ever used is the Photographer's Ephemeris The Photographer's Ephemeris

@cameraguy That's the cool thing about how MPCC runs. Understand though, it will replicate well, but the variances in altitude and GPS guidance will vary flight to flight and week to week. Which should be anticipated as an expected margin of error of around +1 meter in all directions.

@Ed Beck So no silver bullet in photography and even worse with aerial photography.... I guess my Ray-Ban Wayfarer mod is out of the question....;)

This is a good read, especially the animated gif showing how it changes as the lens rotates: Polarizing filter (photography) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You can also see the effect if you have a pair of polarizing sunglasses (most are) and hold them up to your computer monitor if it's LCD. Rotate the sunglasses. When they are perpendicular, they totally turn black and block the light.

I think polarizing filters are only useful if you are actually planning a shot, since you have to rotate the filter so that the microscopic fine lines in the filter are 90deg in phase with the sun. This isn't a problem with still photography. Aim at subject, rotate filter to 90 deg of sun, and shoot. But UAVs are constantly moving and changing direction and drifting. So this won't really be very useful for general flying unless it's totally planned out and you fly in a straight line with no turns once the filter is locked on to the sun position. It's really too bad there isn't some sort of automated gizmo that would just rotate the filter and keep it 90deg with the sun. That would be pretty cool.

I love polarized filters in regular photography. Very useful for removing the reflections from water or windows (any reflected light), as well as making the blue sky really deep blue and pop and improving contrast. Flying it around on my solo, not so much since it's dynamically changing all of the time which actually ruins the video. Like flying around a lake not too far above the water...going one direction you see through the water with no reflections, and as you start circling the reflections show up and disappear as well as the sky getting bluer and then less blue.

YMMV. I'm not a pro, but have used polarizing filters on my Nikons for about 15 years.

Last edited:
The purpose was just to demo the filter, as I plan to do with the ND's. In the case of the GoPro, you only have to place the filter in one position - polarizer on top, as the lens doesn't change based on focus, hence it need not be a circular polarizer, but an easier to use standard.

No matter where the sun is, it will still intensify the sky and the greens in the picture.

In the case of the GoPro, you only have to place the filter in one position - polarizer on top, as the lens doesn't change based on focus, hence it need not be a circular polarizer, but an easier to use standard.
Sorry for raising an old thread, but what does "polarizer on top" mean? Do I need to have the filter rotated/orientated a certain way on the lense?

I have a Polar Pro filter set of (3)...Polarizer, ND4, and ND8, and a GoPro clear lens protector. I don't publish videos, don't do post production...I just want the best footage straight out of the camera that I can get. I definitely won't be swapping filters around before every flight, so I am wondering which of these filters should I keep on the camera for simple daytime footage of landscapes, trees, etc...just general aerial footage.

I am trying to figure out my "permanent" filter situation. Should I keep the Polar Pro Polarizer filter on my GoPro at all times...or just keep a clear lens protector on it?

1. The polarizing part of the filter always goes on top if you are using it.

2. I have found having an ND filter more useful on drone cameras. The reason is to give more detail in the sky. Stop highlights from being blown out, and reduce prop shadows.

I trust this helps

Apologies but I'm still slightly confused - my fault. I use the PolarPro v2 filters. Is there any information on determining the orientation of the polarizer? On my camera filters there is often a mark on the filter rim to orientate it relative to the sun's direction to manage the amount of polarizing effect.

I haven't seen any literature or posts on something similar for the Pp filters.

I know the angle of the sunlight for video changes, particularly for aerial work, but I still want to be able to set up the filter for my preferred planned shot.

Any help much appreciated.

Last edited:
1. The polarizing part of the filter always goes on top if you are using it.
When you say "on top", do you mean rotated cw/ccw, to orientate it....or do you mean if I have multiple filters layered, that the polarizer would the last one installed...ie...it would be on the outside contacting the air?

2. I have found having an ND filter more useful on drone cameras. The reason is to give more detail in the sky. Stop highlights from being blown out, and reduce prop shadows.
I'm afraid that if I keep a ND4 (for example) on the camera all the time, the image will always be darkened. OR, will the shutter speed slow down enough to compensate, and the image will not be affected...other than possible blurring due to slower shutter speed?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alan r pfennig