The Solo Gimbal and the Code that Drives it. Hmmm....

Steve can you check yours, no identification on mine

Not a big deal. I can guess at the values given the resolution claimed by 3dr.
Not even sure I need to know, but I thought it maybe could at some point.

I really think we need to parse those scope outputs from @hackbard23 . They are going to give us lots more data on what the gimbal is saying and what is being said to it...unless someone feels like whipping up a MAVlink listener script that will only listen to gimbal traffic? Though I guess there could be multiple component IDs on the gimbal itself, so until we know what those are....

I'm becoming more positive that SOLO's magic sauce lies in the fact that the gimbal reports back position at very short intervals, and that the position isn't derived from just an MPU, but is essentially hard referenced via the pots on each axis motor.

Given this data and the data from SOLO'S GPS, compass, and IMUs, calculating and laying out the Smart Shots, while not trivial, becomes a matter of some vector math...

just woke up and scratching eyes:eek:

CAN Bus ?????
wtf is this CAN for ?

The MPU-6000 only has i2c and SPI
gopro only USB and HDMI and i think analog CVBS
tms320 do their communications over serial 3.3V

where do this CAN wires lead to ?

about the potentiometers: it doesn´t matter what Ohm value they have, they only gave out a voltage to the ADC of the tms320 corresponding to angle.
it is only the fact, that they are there and have 3 pins (not 5) and are marked on the PCB with "R"

ok, i think i will give that serial dumping a serious kick in the balls....
just give me some time as i need to gather some equipment and brainjuice

btw nice work, guys ! :)

ok, got the first test run, these are the first 14 seconds on startup of Solo, while standing still:

MEGA

you can load it into excel, or whatever editor you want to shuffle around with the data :)

ok, got the first test run, these are the first 14 seconds on startup of Solo, while standing still:

MEGA

you can load it into excel, or whatever editor you want to shuffle around with the data :)

Suh-WEEEEET! Once MEGA lets it toddle it's way onto my SSD, I know someone who will be spending all night making a spreadsheet...and maybe writing a transform script or two....

The term "impending avalanche" just popped into my head.... Wonder why that is....?

Wow, those are some nice pics, pyrate. I can never get my closeups to focus that well!

Oh $#!+.

This is gonna take me more than a night to sort thru. I need to write some parsing scripts tonight....

i wonder if i buy another gimbal, do i have to update the gimbal code ? i think it is also done over the serial connection.
This could be very interesting to capture (got 64GB of RAM in my new comp, enough to capture a massive firmware avalanche)

i wonder if i buy another gimbal, do i have to update the gimbal code ? i think it is also done over the serial connection.
This could be very interesting to capture (got 64GB of RAM in my new comp, enough to capture a massive firmware avalanche)
I think it is stored on the SOLO SDCard somewhere. You thinking of decompiling?

How is it going?

So, was up late/early decoding one of the data "flurries" from early on. Interesting thing I learned is that the Gimbal spits out a listing of all its parameters during startup. And there are a boatload of them. If anyone is interested in having a look (or has some space where I could post the files. I don't feel like signing up for hosting/MEGA for at most 10MB of files) please message me. Currently in OpenDocument Spreadsheet format.

:):):):):)

you could use goole cloud if you have, otherwise i will send you my mail and will upload it to MEGA

btw, PS4 hacking actually looks somewhat like our small project: ;)

Volodymyr Pikhur on Twitter

Last edited:
ok, upped the ods spreadsheet to MEGA, everyone who is interested can have a look and maybe join us to crack the nut :cool:

had a quick look, that is lots of information send to the gimbal

good work !

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela