The Solo Ebay Bargains....

Bought one from aotastore for $79.99 (now $59.99).
I got a several from same guy and got the controllers he was selling too. They powered up and connected no problem. I agree packing was very minimal, but without props/gimbal, these birds are pretty tough. I really didn't see any signs of use/abuse, not sure they were ever used. I had spare batteries, props, and gimbals when BB had a big sale, so was able to complete them. I tested and got video through fixed mount and test flew each, then I installed gimbal and test flew. No issues, no vibrations. Both birds were fine and flew great. GPS locked up even when I was inside, which didn't happen with the very first Solo I got when they released them. I bought these expecting to tear them down for parts but not if they are fully functional. It was a great deal. I've got a bit of a collection going, I agree it is hard to stop at these prices.

Reactions: IrishmanPDX
Finally got round to diagnosis and light repair. Two won't pair and won't factory reset, so it looks like more extensive surgery to get at their SDCards. Of the other three
  1. Just required pairing. Motors spin up, video works.
  2. Required 'unsticking' the external MEMS compass by removing it and...uh...lightly tapping it on a desk...yeah...lightly tapping. Factory reset, pair, calibrate.
  3. Was beeping like a cardiac ward. Set SYSID_SW_MREV to 0 thru Tower, factory reset, pair, level+compass calibrations, everything is like rainbows outta unicorn ass. :p
So, pretty good deal for the price. And I'm betting some new SDCards will fix the other two.

I can stop any time. I swear.
:D

#4 just needed the SDCard re-seated and everything was narwhal songs and tortoise thongs....

Really. I can stop. No. No. I can.

HEY, what was in that needl.......

but it is a rev. A...may just use it for parts
I just got my last one from same Nebraska guy. His stock is gone now. I booted it, paired it and it was OK. I attached the GoPro and got video feed, motors initiated ok. Will test fly when weather breaks then try it with a gimbal. So far the three I got all were fine. I have flown the first 2. They may be rev A but don't let that stop you, I believe they did some tweaking to their algorithm for the GPS. I've seen the later rev As perform as fast as the rev Bs. I was able to get 10 sats with this one inside the building, which I couldn't do with my original first ordered at release Solo.
You have to hold the pair button until the controller says Solo detected press A+B to finish. If that isn't working try the factory reset on the Solo. I was fully expecting to break these down for parts (and it would still be a great deal) but they all checked out.

I just got my last one from same Nebraska guy. His stock is gone now. I booted it, paired it and it was OK. I attached the GoPro and got video feed, motors initiated ok. Will test fly when weather breaks then try it with a gimbal. So far the three I got all were fine. I have flown the first 2. They may be rev A but don't let that stop you, I believe they did some tweaking to their algorithm for the GPS. I've seen the later rev As perform as fast as the rev Bs. I was able to get 10 sats with this one inside the building, which I couldn't do with my original first ordered at release Solo.
You have to hold the pair button until the controller says Solo detected press A+B to finish. If that isn't working try the factory reset on the Solo. I was fully expecting to break these down for parts (and it would still be a great deal) but they all checked out.
I tried the reset but the small orange led next to the pairing hole doesn't respond like it should. I haven't given up on it yet...just haven't had the time to tinker with it. The pod LEDs seem to indicated all is well and all motors spin free by hand. But worse case scenario as a parts drone, it still was a steal of a deal!

I'll say this for my experiences... Pairing the solo with the controller was a pain, sometimes it worked straight off, sometimes it was a case of having to factory reset both. However the biggest pain was getting the app to recognize the new solo. It would find the controller, but not find the solo itself. Finally gave in and bought a 2nd controller and that seemed to work a lot better and quicker. So spending 30 mins doing resets, powering on and off, clearing the cache on the app or spend $50 on a controller and do away with the headache... I choose the $50 option.

You are very lucky receiving rev B GPS. Congrats :) As for the bad SD card, I bought 2 ebay solos (for parts) with 2 bad SD cards. Took me about 4 hours of trouble shooting to find out the SD cards were bad. Anyway, don't waste your time. Get new SD cards and re-image it, and you will be up in the air in no time. In my case, I went ahead and purchased 16GB sd cards on Amazon for 6.95 each, and use them instead of the 8GB. Both solos are up in the air flying beautifully :)

btw, I am using imageUSB. I highly recommend this sw as it does post verification (sector by sector) after write. Saving beaucoup time of trouble shooting if an image write is bad.

Happy flying!

T
Can I just copy and paste from a working sdcard/solo to a new sdcard and insert?

You can pair multiple Solos with a controller, so I guess if you know a controller works it can be your go-to tester. I found it took a little longer than they said it would while holding pairing button down, but in my case it did display the 'new solo detected' msg in the controller screen. I haven't had to factory reset any of the ones I have so far.

You can pair multiple Solos with a controller, so I guess if you know a controller works it can be your go-to tester. I found it took a little longer than they said it would while holding pairing button down, but in my case it did display the 'new solo detected' msg in the controller screen. I haven't had to factory reset any of the ones I have so far.
Aye, that wasn't the issue so much as the App detecting the controller but not the solo afterward pairing. Came across this problem multiple times and from a bit of research it seems others had this issue too. Wasn't too bad with the first spare, but with the second spare, it got really frustrating. Took multiple resets of the solo, the controller and deleting of WiFi connections to get everything running smoothly. So when I bought a 2nd controller, noticed that the issue didn't pop up at all. Not too sure why. Anyway, intend to use my 2nd controller as my upgrade option. Upgrade the antenna, compare to stock. Upgrade the wi-fi card, compare to stock....
Should there be any issues, I'll at least have a spare controller to revert back to. Damn... just like 3DR, I think my solo is goanna leave me broke... (too soon?)

I got a several from same guy and got the controllers he was selling too. They powered up and connected no problem. I agree packing was very minimal, but without props/gimbal, these birds are pretty tough. I really didn't see any signs of use/abuse, not sure they were ever used. I had spare batteries, props, and gimbals when BB had a big sale, so was able to complete them. I tested and got video through fixed mount and test flew each, then I installed gimbal and test flew. No issues, no vibrations. Both birds were fine and flew great. GPS locked up even when I was inside, which didn't happen with the very first Solo I got when they released them. I bought these expecting to tear them down for parts but not if they are fully functional. It was a great deal. I've got a bit of a collection going, I agree it is hard to stop at these prices.
I got one fron this same vendor $59.00. Opened it up, had mud in the motors. Thought utoh! Cleaned it up, oiled the motors. Paired up and flew. Rev A. Got a video feed. So got a gimbal, a controler and I'm in business! !!!! Can't be happier!

I got 3 of them, one would not boot up, another had to many issues, and the third was a gem!! did factory reset, and works like a charm!!

Reactions: RDA and IrishmanPDX
If it works, I am done... I promise... really.
I've been trying to quit. Ha. I said to myself as soon as I get one that is truly a parts drone and doesn't function completely I'll tear it down and be done. It is a bit addictive to find a bargain and then find out it functions perfectly. When do you get classified as a hoarder of drones?

Reactions: RDA
I've been trying to quit. Ha. I said to myself as soon as I get one that is truly a parts drone and doesn't function completely I'll tear it down and be done. It is a bit addictive to find a bargain and then find out it functions perfectly. When do you get classified as a hoarder of drones?
Exactly! The last one I ordered "for parts" came with rev.B GPS and without any gimbal cover at the bottom. I turned it on, connected to remote, it made all the right sounds and connected, but all LED lights were green and it would not turn motors on (fly button on remote was off). I had no idea why, but after close examination I noticed the tiny button switch where the gimbal cover would be, so I turned it off, pressed and held the switch with my finger, and turned it back on. It went into the right start up sequence and all LEDs started doing what they need to do. I got a fixed mount off ebay and put it on. Works like new, no issues. The second one I ordered should arrive today, hope it is in the same condition. I am actually going to give it to my son who doesn't care about video and just wants to fly a drone. Need to get some extra batteries now though.

Reactions: RDA
For some reason, it is a addition! You say you just wat it as parts, and get it work with no problems!!!
But the supply of these are running out, and cost more now, as I can see, good luck to all!

well, the solo came and although it appears that it is like new, it won't pair to the controller. My concern is not that though, I can't get it to factory reset per instructions, the little orange light never starts blinking no matter how long I hold it during power on. Can't reset it... can't pair it.... not sure what to try. Ideas?

Got my 3rd Solo from him. Had mud on the motors. Thought oh no! Cleaned it up! Oiled the bearings. Paired it up with my controler and it flew! Got a video feed! Got a gimble and another controler and I'm in business! Just ordered another! Hope it works just as well!

ykamenet,
Sounds like your solo suffers from the solid orange led syndrome.
I found the cause to be a corrupt file or damaged sd card on solo's main board.
Once I replaced the sd card with a new one loaded with a know working file, the solo functions as it should.

Reactions: ykamenet
@JRW Thanks, yea I was afraid that's the case. Looks like I will have to take it apart. The image file is hosted on mega.nz site and is painfully slow to download. It just stopped and told me I have to wait 5 hours to continue. Anyone knows if it is hosted anywhere else? Or can provide a link? Thanks

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc