The Solo Ebay Bargains....

Bought one from aotastore for $79.99 (now $59.99). It was clearly used and a bit scuffed up. First problem - Magnetic Interference that would not go away. Disassembled and checked everything and did a factory reset. Problem fixed. Seemed to be ready to fly until I discovered that two of the four motors had damaged prop shafts and all have bad bearings. Appears to be shipping damage. The Solo was shipped in a big empty box with zero packing material

Bought a second one from titan.deals for $75 that was supposedly a Best Buy return. Came in original box (no damage) and it looks like new. First problem is solid orange led - won't boot. Pulled SD card and found it has a R/W error. Flashed a new image and it seems to boot now but won't connect with the controller. Need to try a new SD card because I suspect the original one may be bad.

Both of them came with REV B GPS's.

Last edited:
Update: All 5 solos fly! 3 have RevB boards. The first one I couldn't get to boot? Well it boots just fine when all the pods are swapped. Any one of those pods causes an unsuccessful boot in the other solos. 2 had ancient firmware. 4 needed calibration, 2 were pretty stubborn about calibrating. Anyways, aside from 5 dead pods total, I've now got 5 functional solos. All bodies in great condition.

The solo that made obvious ground contact on 2 pods? The pods function 100% normally.

Kinda intrigued by the pods on the first solo though, none of the mosfets appear damaged visually, nor do any other components. I've found no cold solder joints, no signs of water damage, and all the motors spin freely with no bearing noise (by hand of course, solo won't arm with one of these pods in it). When I get real good and motivated, I'll tear the pods down and test the mosfets, until then, I at least have 4 likely good motors.

Reactions: IrishmanPDX
Bought one from aotastore for $79.99 (now $59.99). It was clearly used and a bit scuffed up. First problem - Magnetic Interference that would not go away. Disassembled and checked everything and did a factory reset. Problem fixed. Seemed to be ready to fly until I discovered that two of the four motors had damaged prop shafts and all have bad bearings. Appears to be shipping damage. The Solo was shipped in a big empty box with zero packing material

Bought a second one from titan.deals for $75 that was supposedly a Best Buy return. Came in original box (no damage) and it looks like new. First problem is solid orange led - won't boot. Pulled SD card and found it has a R/W error. Flashed a new image and it seems to boot now but won't connect with the controller. Need to try a new SD card because I suspect the original one may be bad.

Both of them came with REV B GPS's.

You are very lucky receiving rev B GPS. Congrats :) As for the bad SD card, I bought 2 ebay solos (for parts) with 2 bad SD cards. Took me about 4 hours of trouble shooting to find out the SD cards were bad. Anyway, don't waste your time. Get new SD cards and re-image it, and you will be up in the air in no time. In my case, I went ahead and purchased 16GB sd cards on Amazon for 6.95 each, and use them instead of the 8GB. Both solos are up in the air flying beautifully :)

btw, I am using imageUSB. I highly recommend this sw as it does post verification (sector by sector) after write. Saving beaucoup time of trouble shooting if an image write is bad.

Happy flying!

T

You are very lucky receiving rev B GPS. Congrats :) As for the bad SD card, I bought 2 ebay solos (for parts) with 2 bad SD cards. Took me about 4 hours of trouble shooting to find out the SD cards were bad. Anyway, don't waste your time. Get new SD cards and re-image it, and you will be up in the air in no time. In my case, I went ahead and purchased 16GB sd cards on Amazon for 6.95 each, and use them instead of the 8GB. Both solos are up in the air flying beautifully :)

btw, I am using imageUSB. I highly recommend this sw as it does post verification (sector by sector) after write. Saving beaucoup time of trouble shooting if an image write is bad.

Happy flying!

T

Where can I find the image?

I have a good image that I imaged from one of my working solos. Send me your email and I will see if I can zip it up for you and to you via email. The file size is quite large. Almost 8GB. Will see the file size after I zipped it.

Not sure if the forum have space for file this size. It would be great for the Solo community to have a good solo image for their troubled Solos.

Btw, if you search around you will find it. But, be forewarned that downloading speed is painfully slow and the hassle of waiting and waiting or pay the download service fee.

T

After all the trouble shooting and you are still having trouble connecting to the Solo, from your Remote Controller, reported on the Controller Status Screen, then it's most likely that you have a bad Solo Image or SD card in your i.MX6 SD card reader in your Solo. The following procedures will hopefully get your Solo connected to your Controller again.

Saving a Good Solo image, from SD card, to your local hard drive as a file:
1. Put a good SD Solo image card in the USB reader
2. Plug in your USB card reader to your PC
3. Launch imageUSB sw
4. Select the USB interface (from Step 1 in imageUSB sw)
5. Select "Create image from USB drive" (from Step 2 in imageUSB sw)
6. Select the hard drive location where you want the good image to be saved and enter a file name, then click Save (from Step 3 in imageUSB sw)
7. Click "Create" to create the image from the USB reader to your local hard drive (from Step 4 in imageUSB sw)
8. Leave all other options to default state.
9. Go get your coffee and imageUSB will notify you, with a sound, when it's done.

Writing a saved Solo Image file to your new SD card:
1. Put a blank/empty SD image card in the USB reader (at least 8GB, I used the 16GB one)
2. Plug in your USB card reader to your PC
3. Launch imageUSB sw
4. Select the USB interface (from Step 1 in imageUSB sw)
5. Select "Write image to USB drive" (from Step 2 in imageUSB sw)
6. Select the Solo image file where it was last saved, then click Open (from Step 3 in imageUSB sw)
7. Click "Write" to create the Solo image to the blank/empty sd card (from Step 4 in imageUSB sw)
8. Leave all other options to default state.
9. Go get your coffee and imageUSB will notify you, with a sound, when it's done.

Once a good image is backed up and a new Solo image is created on a new SD card. Put the newly Solo imaged SD card to your Solo and follow the Reset and Paring process to have your Solo connected with the Controller. Once connected, don't forget to upgrade the sw using the Solo App and do your Level and Compass calibration again.

btw.. If you find that your Remote Contoller has the same issue, use the above procedures to fix it (with a good Remote Controller image card).

Happy flying.

T

Last edited:
The Ebay Drone Update!
So the Drone arrived today (well yesterday, but I wasn't there when it arrived), anyway, arrived in one of the 3DR boxes that was beaten to hell. Inside (surprisingly) was the cardboard carry case too. Unlike a new one, it didn't have the wrap around it that functions as a handle. The cardboard case was in much better condition than the box. Inside of course was a 3DR solo (no gimbal, no controller, no battery). That was expected and for $70 who can complain. The product was exactly like advertised, the body was in fantastic shape, no scratches, no markings to indicate any abuse, hadn't been crashed or cracked as far as I could tell. As stated though, the unit did suffer from a "calibration" error. After some initial difficulty, I did finally manage to pair it with the controller (found the instructions on this forum actually, one tiny little post that was far better than all the official guides out there) Anyway, started the drone and sure enough "Calibration error". Did the factory reset (didn't clear it), 2nd factory reset didn't work either. However, after following the instructions on another thread here, I placed the drone on the desk, steadied it with one hand, and with the other hand, I smacked it on the ass (not actually hard, either, just a quick tap actually). Guess what? It worked! Solo then calibrated just fine.

Put the Solo into manual mode and started it up, all motors spun just fine.

In fact, the only obvious downside to buying this drone? REV A GPS BOARD! Gah....

So my thoughts? At the end of the day, paying $75 for a whole slew of replacement parts is well worth the money. If my main solo ever goes down, I have a backup. However, if I were to build this to a fully working drone? It's bad value, as stated the costs would be over the $600 range. However, if you already have a number of spare parts that you can interchange, maybe it's worth it then.

I have one more replacement drone, same seller, same error to arrive next week. So we'll see what happens then. At least doing all of the above has me ready for trouble shooting (and pairing!).

I do have one question (two questions now darn it!) for anyone who cares to answer (although should be in the solex section). I have solex working with my original drone, however had difficulty getting it to recognize this drone. Was connected via wifi, but was getting the message "looking for vehicle..." Any thoughts? Also, is there a bug in solex waiting to be fixed? Everytime I click out of the main screen whether it be for wifi settings, when I get back to the mainscreen the "fly me there" window is up and cannot be closed, I have to exit out of the app and re-enter it to start using it. Tapping the X doesn't close it, neither does close of fly me there. Anyone else have that issue?

Update: All 5 solos fly! 3 have RevB boards. The first one I couldn't get to boot? Well it boots just fine when all the pods are swapped. Any one of those pods causes an unsuccessful boot in the other solos. 2 had ancient firmware. 4 needed calibration, 2 were pretty stubborn about calibrating. Anyways, aside from 5 dead pods total, I've now got 5 functional solos. All bodies in great condition.

Also bought a five pack. 4/5 power right up (haven't checked pairing, etc. Work and such) ALL 5 have REV B GPS!! 4/5 still had most of the protective plastic on. The fifth will need some inspection, since I hear the main power relay go "thunk" but then nothing. Pretty excited though. Lotsa spare parts for an ungodly low price.

Also bought a five pack. 4/5 power right up (haven't checked pairing, etc. Work and such) ALL 5 have REV B GPS!! 4/5 still had most of the protective plastic on. The fifth will need some inspection, since I hear the main power relay go "thunk" but then nothing. Pretty excited though. Lotsa spare parts for an ungodly low price.
Yeah, loving the Ebay bargains, I'm now building the 1st drone I bought from there into a fully working solo. The 2nd drone I bought from ebay..... THAT will be my spare parts drone.... honestly.... maybe a 3rd one wouldn't be a bad idea.....

An update on the second Solo I purchased as "not working".

As received the left motor failed to power up. Motor tested OK. After countless hours of reviewing files in Mission Planner and checking all connections including inspecting trace and components on the board, I decided to replace the main board.

I choose a seller on eBay that listed ($65.)boards complete with wifi and cube. His ad stated "never power up" for what that's worth.
The main board arrived as advertised. Not a spot of corrosion or evidence of mishandling anywhere.

With the board complete with cube and wifi installed :
Applied power
Watched the light show as it booted.
Paired with controller
Updated

Issue 1. I choose to open the solo app in my iPad mini and the solo app crashed several times. With the original main board my iPad never failed to open the app and worked flawlessly.
I switched to my Samsung Galaxy III and opened the solo app. Input default password and waited for the connection. Upper left corner "vehicle not detected.
I shut down the app and restarted app. several times. I know the sequence of power up can have an affect.

App connected to the controller and I was able to review the sw version at 2.4.2 on both controller and solo and Cube is 1.3.1

Initiated Fly Solo and all motors function !

Level Calibration successful

Compass calibration failed !
Attempted several calibrations but still failed.
Checked connections to compass and all connections ok.

Reread several posts regarding calibration procedure. I'm relatively new to Solo.
" Point North, don't point north, rotate slow , rotate then turn 90 deg.
Move to a big field without any objects... "

I have never had any issue with my other solo or my Iris+ or any pixhawk flamewheel quads in own preforming a compass calibration in my yard.

Time to connect to MP......
Deciding to give it one more time using the solo app.
This time success!

Pointed Solo to North and one rotation
Turned 45 deg. one rotation
etc. etc. etc.
Once I noticed that solo was chirping each rotation I knew to continue.

All is well

Now to charge a few battery's

My ebay ( solo for parts ) purchase as discussed in above post #31 sucessfully completed 1st test flight.

Conditions: Ambient temp. 70F
Wind 12-16 mph
Gps 9 sat
Hdop 1.0
FLY and Manual mode

10 minute flight, 100% stable and no issues.

Solo $57
Battery $59
Controller $32
Main board complete $64

Object: best to learn "hands on" approach.

True
The best deal on eBay is to purchase a complete solo from the only 3dr authorized reseller. Includes 3dr Factory warranty .

A parts unit is not the best deal to repair.
My reason was primarily for a couple motors and a body.
With several sellers listing units with vague statis on condition, it's a gamble.
I chose to delve into why the product was returned for refund.
Take for instance solo # 3 that arrived today.
Absolutely New in appearance.
Power applied and 0 satellites after 5 minutes.
SW 2.4.2
No evidence drone was disassembled.
I checked the gps ( green rev a) cable connection and reinstalled the battery.
Zero gps function.
Instead of connection to MP I chose to do a system reset.
Yes it comes with a warning. Just about anything electronic can be buggered if one is impatient.
Following the instructions carefully and wait for the proper tone and lights.
Now after a reset , pairing and SW update the solo tracks 11 sats and hdop .8 in 20 seconds.

Two flights and zero issues.

Total cost $57

Hi I to had a solo with a short, it was a bad pod, unplug all turn on and one at a time plug back in

Solo $57
Battery $59
Controller $32
Main board complete $64 + total will be = $212

isn't the refurbished unit 3DR SOLO SMART DRONE QUADCOPTER for GoPro Action Camera, MFG Refurbished | eBay a better deal. the only way i think you can call the $59.99/79.99 for parts a better deal is if you use it for parts only and not to make it fly or make it as a backup bird. just my thought.
I totally agree with these findings. For parts or for a backup drone (once you've salvaged the working parts from your primary drone), ebay is the best deal out there. My purchase has led to some unforeseen problems though...

You see I had one fully working drone and decided to buy 2 ebay bargains for spare parts. The first one arrived and I decided to see if I could make it work........ which I did...... and then I bought another gimbal, controller, gps chip and shield. So now I have two fully working drones, only 1 working gopro and no spare drone to use for parts. Hence when the 2nd ebay drone arrives, I'll finally have a spare parts drone........... only it's a lot more time to take apart the drones for working parts.... so really, in the interest of saving time, it would be best to turn the 2nd ebay drone into another fully working drone, hence the GPS and Shield was ordered....

So now I'm thinking it would be best to get at least another gopro.......... man, these ebay bargains are really costing me.....

I totally agree with these findings. For parts or for a backup drone (once you've salvaged the working parts from your primary drone), ebay is the best deal out there. My purchase has led to some unforeseen problems though...

You see I had one fully working drone and decided to buy 2 ebay bargains for spare parts. The first one arrived and I decided to see if I could make it work........ which I did...... and then I bought another gimbal, controller, gps chip and shield. So now I have two fully working drones, only 1 working gopro and no spare drone to use for parts. Hence when the 2nd ebay drone arrives, I'll finally have a spare parts drone........... only it's a lot more time to take apart the drones for working parts.... so really, in the interest of saving time, it would be best to turn the 2nd ebay drone into another fully working drone, hence the GPS and Shield was ordered....

So now I'm thinking it would be best to get at least another gopro.......... man, these ebay bargains are really costing me.....

You can stop any time you want, right? :rolleyes:

Reactions: KoofPoof

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Motoxxx1986