the phoenix x8 saga continues

Reaction score
As some of you know I crashed my 3DR x8+ and decided to move it to a tarot 650 frame
I upgraded my escs to someday afford a motor upgrade
that day has come,
with those t-motor 3510 630kv navigators and APC 14 x 4.7 props I gain 5 minutes of fly time over stock
BTW according to Ecalc those expensive tiger carbon props are less efficient coming in .7 minutes less hover time
and they cost 70 bucks a pair versus the slowflyers at 11 bucks a pair
Also calculated what would happen if I went to a hex
lost over a minute of hover14sf.PNG ver time

Awesome! I found your build thread. Please keep us (me) posted. Will love following your progress. How do you like the 650? Your using that in an X8 configure correct?
Also, which escs did you go with?

Reactions: Ed.it.Ed
I like the 650 frame a lot.
Acutually ordered two complete kits, and added a deck to my body
The X8's 8 ESCs required a layer of their own with the power distrubution board.
You have to watch those instructions, and even some youtube videos they are wrong.
If you go with that frame let me know if you have questions, I know it well now.

For the frame I oredered 4 Tarot suspended motor mounts instead of the stock, so I could do the coaxial set up.

So far the build out is
Iron Man 650 Frame with extra deck
8 Castle Creations Quad 35s ESCs
8 T-Motor 3510-630kv motors
Pixhawk 1 (will be replaced with a pix 2 and companion computer just as soon as my distributor has them)
3dr Standard GPS
3Dr Power Module
3Drx8 power distro board
3dr telemetry readios and txc off the x8 (will most lilely upgrade these to a tarranis 9x+ and x8r radio
10000mah 4s Battery
Props are still up in the air, LOL but I am leaning tarot 14x5.5 carbon fiber

I have flown it with the stock x8 800kv motors and 11 inch props. it is stable but a bit twitchy on the yaw axis. Thinking once I get the new motors and props on will give autotune a try

Payload / fpv will be worked on next

What language would you use to program solo like shots? Very interested in your build! Looking forward to following closely.

python is what I am working with, but very green at this point. dronekit is where I started, and as I understand it, that is the basis for Kelly's app.
I know all the smart shots are on a python script from what I have read.

PH2 facebook group is good to join if you want to keep up with the latest. I have already found my distributor and let him know to sign me up for a ph2, basic carrier board and gps as soon as thy arrive.
Once I get that on the frame, I will wait and see how brings out the first carrier board for a companion computer. I am hoping that Kelly will port his app over to PH2. There is going to be a lot of folks in DIY moving to PH2, and I would not be surprised to see a couple RTF use it as their flight controller. but it is all pretty fluid right now, Exciting though

my new motors came in while I was in Louisiana. now just have to find the right props and get it retuned for the T-motors. Want to get some baseline hover and flight times and start working on gimbal and camera.

Reactions: Perry Lawrence
Motors are go
Props go on tomorrow
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Reactions: Arny58
Looks Great Tim! Looking forward to the test results.

Reactions: pyrate
Thanks man. Its always a little nerve wracking that first flight. If all goes well tomorrow. It will be put away until ph2 arrives at the end of the month. Found out today the Edison will bolt right on to the expansion board that is coming with Ph2. Once I get all that worked out. Then its on to figuring out how to gimbal a black magic mini cinema on it. That should give me a decent rig for about 5k all in.

I tend to work slow and deliberate. so be patient.
truth is in the grand scheme of things I am totally green at this.
if not for the help some great folks over on FB it would have crashed and burned before now. They have been very patient and supportive. I think I am the test case for how well a noob can navigate the process

I have 12" CF blades on my Y6. The thing is like a high speed autonomous hedge trimmer. Be very careful with that thing. It will cause a lot more damage to property and people in a collision than a little plastic Solo or Phantom.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pvt solo