Reaction score
So the news last night mentions that a huge cruise ship is going to be docking in Portland for a repaint and repair job. I stroll over to the PC to suddenly see that it's about 2 minutes away from the house. I don't have a drone assembled and my batteries aren't fully charged. So I run around trying to assemble a drone and get everything together. Open a pack of props only to find they are all CW props.... WTF? Grab another drone with props on, but have to pair it to my controller. Take off, got 54% battery........... that suddenly drops to about 30% and keeps dropping (hey, Solex really does advise you to get your credit card out!). So had to land before disaster strikes... Slap in another battery, also at 54% but at least it's a good battery. So manage to grab this pretty dodgy footage of the ship approaching St Johns Bridge. Not my best footage, no filter on the lens and man, I must have had too much coffee because I just can't keep still.........

The Legend
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
This is the edited version, the full version is also available on my channel.

Now that is a nice capture!! What GoPro are you using the footage was crystal clear!! The light was at the perfect angle also

Reactions: IrishmanPDX
Now that is a nice capture!! What GoPro are you using the footage was crystal clear!! The light was at the perfect angle also
Maybe I'm my own worst critic, but honestly I think it's kinda cringe worthy, I just was so ill prepared for the ship arriving. That was actually just a GoPro Hero 4 black with a stock lens. No filter. Video was hastily edited on my phone with a small bit of a digital zoom and some color adjustment.

Thanks Man, I was flying my Loki, my Green Cubed Solo, latest open solo, it's equipped with a HERE GPS and of course a Maddog Brite Lite system.
That's pretty much Greek to me. I'm just getting started. I haven't even received my solo yet. I have no idea what a green cube is... Yet that is.

Reactions: IrishmanPDX
Ok, so I'll break it down!
Loki is my drones name, I find naming them is a good way of keeping track of what upgrades I've done, what hardware is contained within etc.
Open Solo is the latest non 3DR flight software. 3DR went under 2 years ago and as a result the "latest" 3DR updates for your drone are waaaay out of date. Open Solo is newer and better and is a recommended upgrade for people who want their drone flying the latest software. It also cuts out the need for your drone to contact the 3DR servers for an update anytime you do a factory reset.
The HERE GPS is an externally mounted GPS system that gives you a much better and reliable signal compared to the 3DR Solo's internally mounted GPS. It helps achieve a better lock and usually results in a much faster startup sat acquisition.
The Green Cube is an updated flight computer (if you will). It's got several improvements onboard and there's many threads on that. It also supports "boat mode" in solex which will enable your drone to lift off from a boat (I feel that name is too self explanatory).

Keep asking questions, it's the best way to learn all this stuff! If you can stand the bad jokes and puns, I think people here are more than happy to answer. Don't forget there's also the search bar up top you can use to look up all this information also.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pvt solo