The DJI Phantom 3 pro is going back

I have a buddy who has a P3P and we flew together yesterday as I was curious how the Solo and P3P compare. After nearly flying for almost 2 hours test each of the functions side by side, I am convinced that the P3P is a better product right now. It did everything my Solo could do but it did better and more smoothly. P3P was a more responsive quad and snappier on the the controls. The GPS was also more accurate than the Solo. It flew more precisely from point to point with less drift. It also had more functionality than the Solo, granted I'm using an iPhone so I don't have the Tower app (Which is so frustrating!!). The P3P waypoint plotting was a nice feature that worked in the same app you fly around with. The P3P camera is also geared towards someone who understands camera settings better and you can put filters on the camera. The only advantages I found with my Solo, it was faster in overall speed and you can use a GoPro.

BOTTOM LINE: the P3P is a better product right now. It is a third generation quad so it should be. 3DR has great Customer Service! But lets be clear here, 3DR has an awesome IDEA with a ton of potential, but it's really in the developmental stages and everyone who has one (that's me included) is an investor and test pilot for the company that doesn't get paid for their services. The real 3DR investors are laughing all the way to the bank as it's becoming less risk for them. I'd say keep the P3P. Wait to make to switch to 3DR until the bugs get squished and they finally get that idea to a full fledged mainline product. And don't get me wrong, 3DR is an AWESOME company all around in every aspect (plus it's an American company vs. Chinese, that has to count as something right?). They just need to get a product finalized for the consumer. Just my opinion though.

Reactions: Projeffrey11
I have a buddy who has a P3P and we flew together yesterday as I was curious how the Solo and P3P compare. After nearly flying for almost 2 hours test each of the functions side by side, I am convinced that the P3P is a better product right now. It did everything my Solo could do but it did better and more smoothly. P3P was a more responsive quad and snappier on the the controls. The GPS was also more accurate than the Solo. It flew more precisely from point to point with less drift. It also had more functionality than the Solo, granted I'm using an iPhone so I don't have the Tower app (Which is so frustrating!!). The P3P waypoint plotting was a nice feature that worked in the same app you fly around with. The P3P camera is also geared towards someone who understands camera settings better and you can put filters on the camera. The only advantages I found with my Solo, it was faster in overall speed and you can use a GoPro.

BOTTOM LINE: the P3P is a better product right now. It is a third generation quad so it should be. 3DR has great Customer Service! But lets be clear here, 3DR has an awesome IDEA with a ton of potential, but it's really in the developmental stages and everyone who has one (that's me included) is an investor and test pilot for the company that doesn't get paid for their services. The real 3DR investors are laughing all the way to the bank as it's becoming less risk for them. I'd say keep the P3P. Wait to make to switch to 3DR until the bugs get squished and they finally get that idea to a full fledged mainline product. And don't get me wrong, 3DR is an AWESOME company all around in every aspect (plus it's an American company vs. Chinese, that has to count as something right?). They just need to get a product finalized for the consumer. Just my opinion though.
Are you a member of PhantomPilots as well as here? If so you are aware of the issues with the frames cracking on the P3? I think this is quite a serious issue and so far DJI refuses to publicly acknowledge this flaw.
I own all three generations of Phantoms, a 3DR Iris+, the Solo, and the Yuneec Q500 - so I have no allegiance to any one company. I honestly can't say that I can rate one over the other at this point.
But to clarify - 3DR is not new to this game, they have been making drones for a while now.
As have Yuneec (the make all the Blade products, and a good percentage of the Horizon Hobby line of fixed wing planes, as well as full sized electronic planes).

The Q500's Follow Me outshines both DJI and 3DR's ability to follow - it is very responsive.
But the Q500 is a slow lumbering drone without much range. I would have to recommend both the Solo and the P3 over the Q500 unless your prime use is flying in close proximity, like filming family gatherings in the backyard, at the beach, etc.

Reactions: Raybro
Are you a member of PhantomPilots as well as here? If so you are aware of the issues with the frames cracking on the P3? I think this is quite a serious issue and so far DJI refuses to publicly acknowledge this flaw.
I own all three generations of Phantoms, a 3DR Iris+, the Solo, and the Yuneec Q500 - so I have no allegiance to any one company. I honestly can't say that I can rate one over the other at this point.
But to clarify - 3DR is not new to this game, they have been making drones for a while now.
As have Yuneec (the make all the Blade products, and a good percentage of the Horizon Hobby line of fixed wing planes, as well as full sized electronic planes).

The Q500's Follow Me outshines both DJI and 3DR's ability to follow - it is very responsive.
But the Q500 is a slow lumbering drone without much range. I would have to recommend both the Solo and the P3 over the Q500 unless your prime use is flying in close proximity, like filming family gatherings in the backyard, at the beach, etc.

Sorry I'm not a member on PhantomPilots. I only own a Solo so that why I'm on here. I am unaware of the cracking on the P3. My buddy who has one said he crashed multiple times, once at full speed into a tree trunk and he only broke props. He cleaned up his P3P really well and I told him I was shocked there was no signs of ever hitting anything, zero scratches and cracks. Then again he's only had it for 4 months.

I'll reiterate what I said above. From my experience flying Solo and the P3P side by side as of yesterday, the P3P is a better quad for RIGHT NOW. Solo is good but 3DR has a lot of bugs to squish. I prefer 3DR over DJI. I think 3DR will be the top company when they have a more refined product. But as far as performance goes the P3P is a better quad RIGHT NOW. Just my opinion like I said above.

I bought a P3P recently and have not had a single issue with it. Solid. I picked a local dealer that had the ability to repair every aspect of them without having to send them to the DJI "black hole" which was my biggest concern. I can pay for a fix or repair but I did not want to send it away for two months or longer. The dealer took it out of the box, updated everything and then flew it before I wrote the check. Additionally, I didn't have a GoPro so the cost of the quad, gimbel and camera made the P3P an easier decision. Solo may get it all together but their deceptions and botched launch turned me off. And the Solo may be an open platform but this market is changing so fast with new entries, I am not sure that is so valuable. If it were, Solo wouldn't have a future of new products and innovations.

I bought a P3P recently and have not had a single issue with it. Solid. I picked a local dealer that had the ability to repair every aspect of them without having to send them to the DJI "black hole" which was my biggest concern. I can pay for a fix or repair but I did not want to send it away for two months or longer. The dealer took it out of the box, updated everything and then flew it before I wrote the check. Additionally, I didn't have a GoPro so the cost of the quad, gimbel and camera made the P3P an easier decision. Solo may get it all together but their deceptions and botched launch turned me off. And the Solo may be an open platform but this market is changing so fast with new entries, I am not sure that is so valuable. If it were, Solo wouldn't have a future of new products and innovations.
Cool where are you located that you found this incredible dealer? What will he charge you for repairs since they will be done outside of DJI's warranty? If he is affordable I may ship one of my 3 phantoms to him if the need arises. So send some love and business his way and share his business name?

"And the Solo may be an open platform but this market is changing so fast with new entries, I am not sure that is so valuable. If it were, Solo wouldn't have a future of new products and innovations."

That is sort of the appeal of open platform - no need to buy a new model every few months as technology changes.
But yeah, it is very valuable to DJI to introduce a "new entry" every 9-10 months with a price tag of over $1K so that we can enjoy the latest technology. They've suckered me in with each new iteration of the Phantom!

Cool where are you located that you found this incredible dealer? What will he charge you for repairs since they will be done outside of DJI's warranty? If he is affordable I may ship one of my 3 phantoms to him if the need arises. So send some love and business his way and share his business name?

InnovativeUAS They are in Tempe, AZ. 480-427-9959 They sell Yuneec, DJI, 3DR and build custom quads upwards to $20,000+. Two guys that know their products and do contract commercial work with them.

Well i sent it back and i am getting a refund. It's ok but i am afraid every time i fly it. I am worried its going to crash or fly off and there is that support thing.. although i have heard stories of their support getting better. I just cannot for the life of me take that chance. I am investing in something, something i hope to have for a while and something that the company will stand behind. Is 3dr Solo there yet? I like the fact that you can put the gopro on it, i dig that a lot. The DJI camera was ok, but it just seemed, ok.. Any advice, stories and experiences that would lead me to getting the solo?
Depends on what you are doing. FYI Yuneec is max 15 MPH in GPS which is quite slow...

Well i sent it back and i am getting a refund. It's ok but i am afraid every time i fly it. I am worried its going to crash or fly off and there is that support thing.. although i have heard stories of their support getting better. I just cannot for the life of me take that chance. I am investing in something, something i hope to have for a while and something that the company will stand behind. Is 3dr Solo there yet? I like the fact that you can put the gopro on it, i dig that a lot. The DJI camera was ok, but it just seemed, ok.. Any advice, stories and experiences that would lead me to getting the solo?
i would wait until they get the bugs out and at least deliver a machine that can do what they promise

Reactions: Projeffrey11
But yeah, it is very valuable to DJI to introduce a "new entry" every 9-10 months with a price tag of over $1K so that we can enjoy the latest technology. They've suckered me in with each new iteration of the Phantom!

Kip, you know the new technology every 9-10 months or a year is not that bad of deal in my eyes and is working for me. Even if I ran it a year and got 2/3 my money back selling and buying the next model its pretty cheap flying :D

You might consider the strong arm kit for the P3 for that crack issue. I did mine as a preventative maintenance measure. Looks like it should help.

@Chemtrail Pilot I agree with most of what you are saying. The Solo never came to fruition this year for me and my flying season will be over in a month, HOWEVER your comment about your buddy flying into a tree trunk. If you are thinking that the Phantom will hold up better than a Solo??? I would have to disagree on that. For my needs the Phantom is currently superior but I know for a fact its basically a disposable device. The solo is way more durable than the P3 and much easier to repair. If I put 600 miles and get two years of flying out of my P3P like I did my last DJI product I will be happy. If I don't I know I need to buy another one as there is no dealing with the idiots at DJI.

Reactions: dirkclod
Kip, you know the new technology every 9-10 months or a year is not that bad of deal in my eyes and is working for me. Even if I ran it a year and got 2/3 my money back selling and buying the next model its pretty cheap flying :D

You might consider the strong arm kit for the P3 for that crack issue. I did mine as a preventative maintenance measure. Looks like it should help.

@Chemtrail Pilot I agree with most of what you are saying. The Solo never came to fruition this year for me and my flying season will be over in a month, HOWEVER your comment about your buddy flying into a tree trunk. If you are thinking that the Phantom will hold up better than a Solo??? I would have to disagree on that. For my needs the Phantom is currently superior but I know for a fact its basically a disposable device. The solo is way more durable than the P3 and much easier to repair. If I put 600 miles and get two years of flying out of my P3P like I did my last DJI product I will be happy. If I don't I know I need to buy another one as there is no dealing with the idiots at DJI.
Rich, I've taken that precaution to help avoid cracks in the arm. Just wished DJI was honest and transparent enough to adress the issue and not ignore it, as they are doing.

But right now I need some clever meme representing mild shock to post in response to dirkclod liking your post. He is over here spying on us now? ;-)

Rich, I've taken that precaution to help avoid cracks in the arm. Just wished DJI was honest and transparent enough to adress the issue and not ignore it, as they are doing.

But right now I need some clever meme representing mild shock to post in response to dirkclod liking your post. He is over here spying on us now? ;-)

Well I am sure you will agree DJI is never going to own up and be transparent about anything. Their business ethics are the worst.

Dirkclod is everywhere. You know how he is !

Reactions: GoodnNuff
Yuneec Q4k, no daily firmware updates. Awesome smooth flight, Incredible 4K camera, change ALL of your camera settings, ISO, frame rate, white balance, 4k to 1080 all on the fly while in the air, and none of that obnoxious Go Pro lens curvature. No need for separate phone or tablet FPV as the Q4k comes with its own built-in Android tablet in the controller . all telemetry is on screen , sharp, bright and large enough to see even in mid day sun....no less than 18 Satellites every time I launch both US and GLONASS..Phantoms have been on the shelve since the day I purchased Q4k last July..will look at the Solo next spring when all the bugs are worked out...for now over 125 flights no worry flights with Yuneec 4k and not one issue!

Last edited:
Reactions: GoodnNuff

I have to agree, having both a Solo and P2+.
Perhaps the potential of Solo is greater but right now....?

What are you smoking? Afraid to fly it? LOL Why?

I've had a Phantom, Phantom 2 and now a Phantom 3 Pro. I also had the Solo for about two weeks until I realized it was one big cluster phuck. The P3 Pro is excellent, very good camera and flys like a dream.

Take a look at this clip, I shot it about 2 weeks, winds were steady at 15mph with gust to 25mph. Dam near rock solid. I really, wanted the Solo to work out.......in the end it did not. Many of are still struggling with it. To each his own I guess

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela