Tarot gimbal for Solo drone

unless gopro releases its code, using the solo gimbal for other cam is a deadend project.

unless gopro releases its code, using the solo gimbal for other cam is a deadend project.
You can use the in the meantime hacked and well documented wifi API to connect to all GoPro models including the hero 6 Black for full GoPro control.
The Solo Gimbal will only work with the 3/4 model so you need a custom, eg Tarot Gimbal.

You can use the in the meantime hacked and well documented wifi API to connect to all GoPro models including the hero 6 Black for full GoPro control.
The Solo Gimbal will only work with the 3/4 model so you need a custom, eg Tarot Gimbal.
we need to keep the gopro lawyers out the loop before we can talk about the hacked code.

That is not quite right. Lots of people use other cameras on the Solo gimbal. The control of the camera from an app is only supported with Gopro 3/4 but if you just start the camera before take-off you can use third party cameras just fine if they have the basic form factor of a Gopro and an HDMI output and you need to pad the back of the gimbal because the HERO bus connector sticks out.

Wifi control is interesting but you are introducing a new wifi signal on the aircraft and if you are wanting to run that data down the existing link you would be modifying the network connections on the IMX6 which would imply that every time there is new update you would have to get in and install the changes again. If you are going wifi direct to the ground then you have other issues.

Controlling the GoPro and turn on the camera before taking off is like 21 century technology vs stone age. Just saying.

Controlling the GoPro and turn on the camera before taking off is like 21 century technology vs stone age. Just saying.
Sure but everyone's budget is different. Also not every cheap clone has a compatible HDMI output. But flash cards are cheap these days and stone age or not it is not much hassle to turn on the camera before flight and start recording. In fact it means you don't need to deal with it during flight. The point is only that people have done it and do it.

Certain survey and surveillance jobs require precision timing for image acquisition. Without camera control, the missions are not possible.

Reactions: Saijin_Naib
That is not quite right. Lots of people use other cameras on the Solo gimbal. The control of the camera from an app is only supported with Gopro 3/4 but if you just start the camera before take-off you can use third party cameras just fine if they have the basic form factor of a Gopro and an HDMI output and you need to pad the back of the gimbal because the HERO bus connector sticks out.

Wifi control is interesting but you are introducing a new wifi signal on the aircraft and if you are wanting to run that data down the existing link you would be modifying the network connections on the IMX6 which would imply that every time there is new update you would have to get in and install the changes again. If you are going wifi direct to the ground then you have other issues.
Yes, Solo Gimbal is only fully functional with a Hero 3 or 4. Some other brands may fit but w/o control.
2.4 is indeed critical, especially with a Hero4 which broadcasts even on the same WiFi channel as Sololink.
Hero 5 and 6 can do 5G.
You would not use the GoPro WiFi link to the ground since range is limited to 30-60 meters.
Instead connect a RPI or Arduino with a 5G dongle to the IMX

I JUST GOT A TAROT GIMBAL THAT CAME OFF A 3DR IRIS AND SET DOWN TO DO SOME FRANKENSTIEN WORK WITH IT .I MOUNTED IT TO THE SOLO MOUNT UP IN SIDE THEN WENT TO WORK ON THE PIN OUT OF THE SOLO CONNECTION TO THE GO PRO AND CUT IT UP AND PULLED THE POWER OFF OF IT TO RUN THE GIMBAL .THAT WORKED AND THE GIMBAL POWERED UP AND WENT THRU ITS MOVEMENT AND IT WORKS .NEXT I WANT FIND THE CONTROLLING TX AND REC THAT COMES FROM THE CONTROLLER TO THE SOLO AND SEE IF THE TILT AND ROLL CAN BE CONTROLLED TO THE GIMBAL ,WHICH I THINK IT CAN THRU THE PINS ON THE TAROT BOARD .WE WILL SEE WHAT HAPPENS .ANY HELP OUT THEIR LET ME KNOW

I JUST GOT A TAROT GIMBAL THAT CAME OFF A 3DR IRIS AND SET DOWN TO DO SOME FRANKENSTIEN WORK WITH IT .I MOUNTED IT TO THE SOLO MOUNT UP IN SIDE THEN WENT TO WORK ON THE PIN OUT OF THE SOLO CONNECTION TO THE GO PRO AND CUT IT UP AND PULLED THE POWER OFF OF IT TO RUN THE GIMBAL .THAT WORKED AND THE GIMBAL POWERED UP AND WENT THRU ITS MOVEMENT AND IT WORKS .NEXT I WANT FIND THE CONTROLLING TX AND REC THAT COMES FROM THE CONTROLLER TO THE SOLO AND SEE IF THE TILT AND ROLL CAN BE CONTROLLED TO THE GIMBAL ,WHICH I THINK IT CAN THRU THE PINS ON THE TAROT BOARD .WE WILL SEE WHAT HAPPENS .ANY HELP OUT THEIR LET ME KNOW
No need to get all SHOUTY about it...

Reactions: fpvsteve

Mavlink not required. Any conventional gimbal with conventional pwm pitch control will work just fine in both normal flight and smart shots.

The solo gimbal is required for GoPro control. With any other gimbals, you have to turn the camera on and start recording before you arm for take off. There is no gopro control without the solo gimbal.

Live video will work with any gimbal and camera as long as the camera has a compatible micro HDMI port. You need your own flexible HDMI ribbon cable to plug directly into the camera.

Dumb question here....whenever I read discussions about a 3rd party gimbal controlled via PWM, it seems everyone only mentions one axis of control; either tilt or pitch. I believe these are referring to the same axis of rotation. So where does that leave the second axis (yaw)?? Is it not usable? So with a Tarot 2D gimbal and the required mods for the PWM signal, it will only tilt up and down, but not rotate?

EDIT: Does the 'yaw' motor act automatically from an accelerometer input or something? And then only the tilt is controlled via PWM?

Last edited:
You control tilt using the controller paddle channel 6, the gimbal auto-magically controls/compensates for yaw changes...But the Tarot 2d gimbal is just that "2D" it has no yaw motor at all, pitch and roll motors only.
being new to this i am learning and have found this out .this gimbal thing is a much to do about nothing .what i have does what i want and that was to make the cam stable and i have that much working and the pics are clear enough .i have no jello and the pics are clear.after running a cam on my bike these pics are great that come off the drone .moving on to get some fpv working now on the 5 gig range

Forgive me, but I'm still a bit confused. Let's take the actual 3DR Solo gimbal, for instance. It has three motors. Yaw and Pitch are user controller, while roll is done automatically to compensate for drone roll. Is that correct? Then, a 2D Tarot gimbal only has two motors; it loses the yaw feature of the 3DR gimbal. With this, roll is done automatically, and the user only controls pitch via enabling the pwn output.

Referring to pitch, yaw, and roll as described here:
Roll, Pitch, and Yaw | How Things Fly

The 3DR gimbal, as well most other 3-axis gimbals use the yaw axis/motor to smooth and stabilize the yaw axis. The operator does not have direct control of the gimbal yaw. It is just there to remove shakes and smooth out the copter's yaw changes. If the operators to pan the camera, the operator yaws the copter, not the camera. A 2-axis gimbal will not have that ability. So copter yaw is directly visible in the video, no matter how smooth or jerky it is.

There are some high end professional gimbals that are designed the user to control the camera yaw, use slip-rings to allow continuous motion, and the copter yaws totally separately. These are often used in dual operator professional rigs, where one guy flies the copter and the other is in 100% control of the camera in all axes. That is NOT the solo.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela