Super Solo

It would be nice if I could find somewhere that sells the pixhawk 2 carrier board stand-alone at a decent price. I have brought that idea up in the past to be met with some very strong opinions leaning towards the combined use of the 2.1 with the carrier board as if it was blasphemous for me to even think of such things as to use the 2.0 in its place. (I won't mention any names but they know exactly who they are that I speak of..)

The solo has the equivalent of a power module built in. So it takes raw 4s battery power at the input connector. It gets voltage and current information from the smart battery i2c connection.I certainly would not try and put 6s power to the Solo main brd. So you can get a overall power voltage and current measurement by using a traditional Pixhawk power module but you don't use the 5.3v output used for the Pixhawk itself. You just use the power module as a sensor to measure overall power usage. Now I am using Mission Planner where I can just tell it to use a traditional Pixhawk power module instead of the special smart battery I2C device built into the Solo batteries. I am not familiar with the android apps and whether you have any control to do this like you can in Mission Planner.

In addition I am converting my Solo to CANbus, the advantage being that I don't have to use the PWM ESC signals and I don't have to wire a power module up to the Pixhawk 2.0 in the Solo. Everything just connects to the CANbus, one daisy chained network. I am using OlliW's work, of STorM32 gimbal controller fame, with his UC4H project.

Reactions: XevetS and cnc74
The solo has the equivalent of a power module built in. So it takes raw 4s battery power at the input connector. It gets voltage and current information from the smart battery i2c connection.I certainly would not try and put 6s power to the Solo main brd. So you can get a overall power voltage and current measurement by using a traditional Pixhawk power module but you don't use the 5.3v output used for the Pixhawk itself. You just use the power module as a sensor to measure overall power usage. Now I am using Mission Planner where I can just tell it to use a traditional Pixhawk power module instead of the special smart battery I2C device built into the Solo batteries. I am not familiar with the android apps and whether you have any control to do this like you can in Mission Planner.

In addition I am converting my Solo to CANbus, the advantage being that I don't have to use the PWM ESC signals and I don't have to wire a power module up to the Pixhawk 2.0 in the Solo. Everything just connects to the CANbus, one daisy chained network. I am using OlliW's work, of STorM32 gimbal controller fame, with his UC4H project.
Thank you for the excellent info!

I am very interested in esc cann bus conversion call I know nothing about the process and it seems to be out of my depth.
I'm currently trying to discern whether or not there are other points on the mainboard to solder the pwm signal leads from? This is a question stemming from my ongoing attempts 2 tighten things up and get rid of some of the excess space on the mainboard.

Now I am using Mission Planner where I can just tell it to use a traditional Pixhawk power module instead of the special smart battery I2C device built into the Solo batteries. I am not familiar with the android apps and whether you have any control to do this like you can in Mission Planner.
You can set Parameters in "TOWER" which is an Android App.

Mike how does the controller read the Telem Data? through the I2c Port near the battery connector or do you use an I2c splitter where the compass module plugs in? Thanks in advance..

XevetS is definitely the trail blazer. I do not know of any other easy access for the PWM motor outputs than on the motor pod connectors but I followed a lot of his information. Here is an article I just wrote on Ardupilot.org about UAVCAN implementation of CANbus.
Hey thanks man,
Here is an article I just wrote on Ardupilot.org about UAVCAN implementation of CANbus.
Very good read, sounds promising I use a storm32 based gimbal on one of my solo's
IMG_20170125_152607.jpg

Last edited:
You can set Parameters in "TOWER" which is an Android App.

Mike how does the controller read the Telem Data? through the I2c Port near the battery connector or do you use an I2c splitter where the compass module plugs in? Thanks in advance..

The telemetry data remember is just Mavlink data. People tend to call it telemetry data when it is transmitted to the ground over telemetry radios connected to the Pixhawk via serial ports. But in our case that data goes down via wifi. So any data that is sent via Mavlink is going to go down, the only catch is whether your particular ground station shows all the data or not. I connect Mission Planner to the controller and so I get all/any of the Mavlink data I want to display.

I really really want to get my STorM32 based gimbal to do smart shots.

I really really want to get my STorM32 based gimbal to do smart shots.
Yeah all I have at this point is tilt control...via RC-PWM only My Storm controller would not receive a mavlink heartbeat for some reason I think it's defective it has the correct resistors in place on the UART pin inputs. As some older boards resistors were too high causing a tx rx signal problem....

Last edited:
Yes I am going to use a CANbus connected STorM32 and that will allow me to monitor the MAVlink stream live. Hopefully rather than reinventing the wheel I can see the Solo Gimbal MAVlink message that appears to be mis-interpreted by the STorM32 brd and just program up an Arduino to look for that message, trap it and send the correct one. Bubble gum fix but seems easier that figuring out the code on the I.MX6.

Reactions: XevetS
Just think Rich what a value the Solo is to a Do-it-yourselfer. I just bought on Ebay a full main brd for the Solo for $78, new. That gets me a Pixhawk flight controller, a Companion Linux computer, a full HD video transmitter, a Wifi radio for RC Control, telemetry and a 5.3v bec. That is a bargain.

A few more questions:
1. Does the Open Solo revision the Pixhawk firmware support those super cheap object detection modules? (Dji uses them in the Mavic and P4)
2. Is there any work being done to support optical hardware solutions for advanced obstical avoidance?
3. Is there any work being done to support "Subject detection and tracking" without the aid of a "ground based trackable device" to do it?

The 800-pound elephant in the room is that this is being done elsewhere right now. I would like to defend both the current and future capabilities of the open solo project with proper retort to my flying Buddies that don't understand the initiative.

Well I am not a dev but from the outside looking in Ardupilot has not done well in keeping up. There have been experiments with the cheap Maxbotic sonar and optical flow cameras but the general consensus at this point is they don't work well enough to be worth the trouble. There are higher cost units like Lidar that work better but they are not practical for the DIY crowd due their high cost.
Kelly has done some optical tracking experiments with Solexand the Solo with mixed results.
The Ardupilot project marches on but it does not have the support money to compete with large corporations with deep pockets.

Reactions: cnc74
Well I am not a dev but from the outside looking in Ardupilot has not done well in keeping up. There have been experiments with the cheap Maxbotic sonar and optical flow cameras but the general consensus at this point is they don't work well enough to be worth the trouble. There are higher cost units like Lidar that work better but they are not practical for the DIY crowd due their high cost.
Kelly has done some optical tracking experiments with Solexand the Solo with mixed results.
The Ardupilot project marches on but it does not have the support money to compete with large corporations with deep pockets.
Those words are true and without bias. Anyone here that has flown a newer DJI product will quickly realize just how much more advanced they really are. Meanwhile my Solos keep chronically flipping over on landings! (I digress)

I am a DIYer for life but there are some facts that i chose to face regarding how far I can reasonably expect to take the Solo platform and at what cost in both parts and time. Some of the things that are expected to be on a drone in 2017 and into the future don't exist in any way shape or form for us as of November 2017.

Meanwhile my Solos keep chronically flipping over on landings!
Try landing in manual mode touch down gently and pull the left (throttle) stick straight down do not touch the right stick at all, at this point within a second or two the solo motors should shut down. If you are not already flying with OpenSolo I highly recommend it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bigmiiike0421