Suggested GoPro Settings for Solo

Nice work, as long as I've been seeing this sticky I just assumed it was mostly the tips I'd already got from members here previously. Thanks for putting in the time to explain and lay it all out for those of us not as experienced yet. Not sure what made me check into it tonight, but I'm glad I did. Great job

Reactions: erikgraham
Hi, one question, what happens if I use the very good settings but don't make any color corrections, my video won't look good? I don't know how to make color corrections and I am not planning on doing it, I just want to record with the best possible settings and then get that video from the sd card and into my computer, don't want to spend time editing or adjusting colors. My Gopro is the hero 4 black. THank You in advance.

Hi, one question, what happens if I use the very good settings but don't make any color corrections, my video won't look good? I don't know how to make color corrections and I am not planning on doing it, I just want to record with the best possible settings and then get that video from the sd card and into my computer, don't want to spend time editing or adjusting colors. My Gopro is the hero 4 black. THank You in advance.
Then, Don't use flat, Use GoPro Color & Set Sharpness to medium.
Bring in to GoProPro Studio & edit out scenes you don't want, then save.

Last edited:
Take a look to my footage and pics, 2.7k m iso 400 protune on, using filter nd8/pL instagram, Norman.abc
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Take a look to my footage and pics, 2.7k m iso 400 protune on, using filter nd8/pL instagram, Norman.abc
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Then, Don't use flat, Use GoPro Color & Set Sharpness to medium.
Bring in to GoProPro Studio & edit out scenes you don't want, then save.
Agreed.

Sorry for the delayed response. Been working a lot the last couple months.

I agree with the other poster. If you are not going to color correct, then don't use FLat color. You might even consider not using ProTune at all.

This is great info after 40+ year in the field I still learned a few thing. Thank You.
Is there a way to print this all out so I can put it in a notebook to take with me in the field
I just stumbled across this post and would like to print out his entire post but can only get part of it and then all the other posts show up. Has anyone figured out a way to print all of it out? This is terrific!!!!

Tip:

In very bright coastal areas (beaches and cliffs in the tropics) I've recently had success using an ND8/CP filter with ev_comp on the GoPro set to -2.

Normally in those conditions I'd use an ND16/CP and try not to fiddle with EV_Comp at all, but my ND16 has some scratches on it so I was forced to try the ND8/CP + EV_Comp -2 combo, and I'm happy with the results.

An added bonus is that I don't need to rebalance the gimbal for an ND16 filter.

Tip:

In very bright coastal areas (beaches and cliffs in the tropics) I've recently had success using an ND8/CP filter with ev_comp on the GoPro set to -2.

Normally in those conditions I'd use an ND16/CP and try not to fiddle with EV_Comp at all, but my ND16 has some scratches on it so I was forced to try the ND8/CP + EV_Comp -2 combo, and I'm happy with the results.

An added bonus is that I don't need to rebalance the gimbal for an ND16 filter.
But you did have to rebalance the gimbal for the ND8/CP filter, correct?

To the OP,
Cheers for this post mate. I live in the Arizona desert and am constantly struggling with over exposure. You tips and charts are fantastic.

Aussie

To the OP,
Cheers for this post mate. I live in the Arizona desert and am constantly struggling with over exposure. You tips and charts are fantastic.

Aussie
In places like that, a lot of the overexposure is from glare off rocks. A CP filter can help a lot with that just like it does for water, but only at certain angles which you have planned for ahead of time.

Reactions: bluesgeek
erikgraham;
I haven't been able figured out how to print out the entire explanation presented in the initial posting? It would be great if it could posted it as a .pdf file attachment. That is some very detailed information that I would like to have a hard copy of for future reference. When I try to print it I get the first page (approx) and then just all of the other posted replies.

Last edited:
erikgraham;
I haven't been able figured out how to print out the entire explanation presented in the initial posting? It would be great if it could posted it as a .pdf file attachment. That is some very detailed information that I would like to have a hard copy of for future reference. When I try to print it I get the first page (approx) and then just all of the other posted replies.
I'm not sure how to convert it to PDF easily. I'd have to select/copy it from my post above, paste into an editor on my desktop, fix formatting glitches, and then save as a PDF.

If someone else would like to do that and post the file here, I have no problem with that.

I think most of the original post still holds up. I'd write it up differently now if i had to do it again, but it's pretty much OK.

I'm more convinced of the importance of balancing the gimbal than I was back then. I'd probably focus on that more.

I'm not sure how to convert it to PDF easily. I'd have to select/copy it from my post above, paste into an editor on my desktop, fix formatting glitches, and then save as a PDF.

If someone else would like to do that and post the file here, I have no problem with that.

I think most of the original post still holds up. I'd write it up differently now if i had to do it again, but it's pretty much OK.

I'm more convinced of the importance of balancing the gimbal than I was back then. I'd probably focus on that more.
Did you prepare that in MS Word or some other program or did you completely type everything into your posting from scratch?

I'm working on it right now. I was trying to select your entire posting and print it but that wouldn't work for me. Now I've selected everything and am pasting it into an email I can send to my other computer that has MS Word and my pdf program on it. I've had to save your images individually and then am pasting them back into the email I'm creating and I think its working. Not sure yet on what to do about the reference links you've provided but I'll see what I can do.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gabriela