Stuck with a 1100usd 3DR Solo that won't fly

Reaction score
Hi all, I know that there has been a lot said about this subject already but I can't make my Solo connect to the controller.
I have factory rested it and re downloaded the Solo App and now the app doesn't even want to update. Which was already up to date before I deleted it .
I have downloaded the SidePilot app but I cannot still make this four rotor brick fly . I continued to read about the Open solo 4 software but it doesn't seem yet to be available to use with an iPhone trough the SidePilot App.
So all this seems too much hustling already to make this thin fly.
Does anyone have any suggestion to help me get this thing in the air; can anyone explain to me in very simple terms how to make it work.
Thanks in advance.

Reactions: Flyivan
How about starting with a DETAILED description of what you've done, what results you've received, and in what order things occurred? This should be the basis of ANY request for help on this forum, please.

Reactions: fvincent
Well Im going to try to do my best to recall everything as it happened.
Last time I used my 3drSolo was probably about 10 months ago, and everything worked great.
This past few days I though it could be a good idea to take into the air again. So I started by checking the batteries, both were at about 60% so I put one to charge and the other I hooked on to the Solo to do the preflight check and get everything connected.
I turned on the Controller first, then I turned n the Solo. I opened the Solo App (which was up to date, I believe it was version 4.2.4 ) then went to settings to connect to the controller. I connected to my solo wifi signal but under the name of the network appears an orange sentence saying that it wasn't connecting to the internet.
I turned everything off and tried again multiple times, with a full pack, also tried by unplugging the controller battery, waiting for a few seconds and reconnecting it and turning everything on again.
No matter what I couldn't make the App properly connect with the controller.
Then I started googling for answers and I learned about the company finally closing and not making any updates, if my iPhone software was updated then it wouldn't connect with the solo app anymore.
So then as a last resource I did the factory reset of both the controller and the Solo, everything went well, they binded again. But the app wouldn't still connect to the controller. So then i deleted the app and downloaded it again. After I did that I opened the App again as I did it took me directly to the software update section, "connect to a strong wi fi signal and download the update" I was connected to my wifi signal which is as strong as any other normal residential wifi signal, but the update never started. So I turned on an off the wifi to see if it would start the download and it never did.
That is as far as I got today only using the tools I was familiar with everything within the solo brand.
I wish I could keep on using the solo without having to use third party software as SidePilot and OpenSolo4. Which I kind of got into a bit today.
Is there any way I can resurrect my Solo ??
Your answers will be much appreciated.
Best regards
j

One: not having an internet connection when your mobile device connects to the Solo controller is expected.
You are connected to the controller NOT the internet, think about it.

Two: the old 3DR app gives all sorts of connection problems on the newer iOS devices.
I am lucky in that I have an old iPhone 6plus that works OK since it’s iOS cannot be updated.
SidePilot is a good app to use but it is also having issues with the newer iOS’s.

Open Solo 4 is the way to go.
It is now a simple upgrade if you follow the instructions carefully.
I did find that SidePilot would not download the firmware on the newer iPadOS so I used my older iPhone without an issue.

So your only issue was reading too much into the ‘no internet’ message in the WiFi settings.

I have a Samsung s10+ and since the 3DR Solo app hasn't been updated to latest android OS I had to use a cheap lenovo android tablet ($60 at walmart) to get the firmware updated.

At some time last year the solo app quit working on phones that received certain upgrades. This is a fact. I have flown mine on my galaxy s4 and for the last two years on my s8 until it upgraded. Now if I want to use the solo app I have to use my kindle fire hd. And I just used it two weeks ago. You can buy solex I think its 25 bucks one time from the play store and fly the solo. This is what I use now all the time. It's your best option I believe to keep him flying. The solo is amazing and there are people who have dedicated a lot of time and effort to keep him in the air. I know people that can help you and get you anything you need parts or help for this bird. Besides the new birds having 5 to 10 minutes advertised flying time on the solo and a few unnecessary bells and whistles many think this is the best bird in the air. Mine is a refurb that I modded with most everything used and I have maybe a third of what any new bird equal to the solo cost

Reactions: AudiophileFlyer
Hi amigos, sorry for such a delayed response.
I really appreciate all your answers and suggestions, they surely get me closer to understanding what to do with my 3dr to have him flying again.
Yesterday I resurrected an old iPhone 7 which I had stored due to a cracked screen. I was hoping it had an old enough iOS which I could use on the original solo app, but it seems my hopes were cut short cause I still wasn't able to connect the app with solo. This iPhone 7 is running the iOS 13.1.2 which I think is not old enough to still be compatible. Furthermore, the app still won't do the software update.
I really do want to have Solo Flying again but I really don't know how to proceed. I wish there was a straight forward and simple tutorial on how to do this, but I can't seem to find any.
So here I am back at it again.
I am thinking I won't be able to connect through the solo app anymore.
As @TaylorR137 suggested, I am considering getting a cheap lenovo tablet and installing the solex app.
Could someone tell me if that would be a good and simple solution to get it flying again.
If not, what other option should I consider.
Thanks in advance, your help will be much appreciated.

My 3drsolo System Info as of now is;
App 2.4.3
Solo 0.6.12
Autopilot 0.1.0
Gimbal -
Controller 0.6.12
Controller Firmware 0.6.14

have you tried Solex?
Hi Taylor !! I haven't tried it yet. Wanted to know if it would work before getting my hands on an android device. Im going to borrow one from a friend to try out solex. If that works, which would be amazing !!! Ill get an android tablet .
Ill be back soon with news, hopefully good ones. Fingers crossed.
Bests !

I haven't got my drone out in about 3 years due to health issues. So today after reading for about a week about open solo and side pilot on IOS 14. I put open solo 4.0.0 then did all my pre-flight stuff took off and the right stick done nothing all I had was throttle up and down/height on the left stick and had to do a crash landing. Tried it again the same thing. I didn't get ten feet off the ground no wind perfect flying conditions. Have I lost all the flying skills I had or did one the update not take correctly? I did the Factory reset partition and clean install (not at the same time) of the open solo on copter and controller.

I haven't got my drone out in about 3 years due to health issues. So today after reading for about a week about open solo and side pilot on IOS 14. I put open solo 4.0.0 then did all my pre-flight stuff took off and the right stick done nothing all I had was throttle up and down/height on the left stick and had to do a crash landing. Tried it again the same thing. I didn't get ten feet off the ground no wind perfect flying conditions. Have I lost all the flying skills I had or did one the update not take correctly? I did the Factory reset partition and clean install (not at the same time) of the open solo on copter and controller.
Sounds like you might have forgotten to do the parameter update. Either that or your GCS really did malfunction at a very inconvenient time.

Sounds like you might have forgotten to do the parameter update. Either that or your GCS really did malfunction at a very inconvenient time.
Is there a separate update for the parameters? Because I didn’t do that just the calibrations. Could you send me a link on where to get or install them? Thanks you very much.E265A2BB-AE49-4E51-A211-78D351ED0A2C.jpeg
This is a screenshot of the SidePilot app.

I don't have an iDevice so I can't advise on whether there is a separate package. After reading the docs on the Solex install it would seem that the need to update parameters has been removed in their process.... so I may have been leading you astray

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pvt solo