Stock Blades vs. Carbon Fiber

Reaction score
Until I mod this thing for tip over blade protection.......Has anyone found compatible carbon fiber blades? Has anyone checked the balance on the stock blades? Are they fairly close? Thanks.

Until I mod this thing for tip over blade protection.......Has anyone found compatible carbon fiber blades? Has anyone checked the balance on the stock blades? Are they fairly close? Thanks.
I just got in some RCT CF props 9.4x5. The threads are correct bu there is a shoulder inside that I will need to take down a little to get them to clear the shorter studs of the Solo. I'll let you know if I get them to work. The stock ones are some of the softest I have seen and can't be very efficient.

Reactions: Lonewulph
Not a big fan of carbon fiber blades personally. I found the plastic Iris+ blades resulted in less vibration in video (all props being balanced). I was kind of surprised to be honest. Actually, I like wooden blades the most.

Reactions: GoodnNuff
I have generally always used CF on my larger machines, and well balanced they perform very well. Wood is also very good when balanced, but not sure you will find them for a Solo for awhile.

Not a big fan of carbon fiber blades personally. I found the plastic Iris+ blades resulted in less vibration in video (all props being balanced). I was kind of surprised to be honest. Actually, I like wooden blades the most.
Interesting. I have CF on my hex. We definitely could use something stronger and more efficient. I just got 4 more blades in today from 3DR due to a 'loss of connection' crash. Otherwise these things are $15 a pair. They scratch fairly easily, which can throw off the balance enough to make a huge difference in vibration. I still need to pick up a blade balancer, without a gimbal, it's inevitable.

I've been surprised the props haven't been discussed more yet, maybe it's so motors avoid damage if crashed but they are much more brittle and seem like they'd break very easily. Seem cheap to me like the look and the nuts but plastic seems much better on phantoms. Yea I noticed that first few days that solo blades fit p2 but that larger shaft keeps phantom style from going on solo, maybe on purpose maybe not. I'd be interested if someone finds good replacements.

Reactions: elib
I did balance 4 sets of the standard Solo props, and on all sets the black ones are balanced, and the silver ones need a bit of adjustment. Balanced the vibrations are greatly reduced, but harder props will probably do even better. Apparently the thrust boosted P3 props will work fine as well. Haven't tried personally though.

I did balance 4 sets of the standard Solo props, and on all sets the black ones are balanced, and the silver ones need a bit of adjustment. Balanced the vibrations are greatly reduced, but harder props will probably do even better. Apparently the thrust boosted P3 props will work fine as well. Haven't tried personally though.

How do you balance blades? where do I get it and what brand do you recommend?
( sorry, kinda new )

How do you balance blades? where do I get it and what brand do you recommend?
( sorry, kinda new )
You need a threaded balancing rod (can use the ones made for P2/P3 - look on ebay, about $10), and a prop balancer. It's fairly easy to do. Look on YouTube for a quazillion videos on how to do that. I use liquid tape to add weight.

Who knew??? This is awesome.. Thanks so much for this info.. Wondering why my video is worse now than the first flights..

Ryan G

Balanced 8 props yesterday. 1 was right on the money and I didn't have to touch. 2 of them were off by a great amount and the rest were about normal for plastic props. Here is a pic of the material removed from all 7 that needed balanced..
RR2oYw

Balanced 8 props yesterday. 1 was right on the money and I didn't have to touch. 2 of them were off by a great amount and the rest were about normal for plastic props. Here is a pic of the material removed from all 7 that needed balanced..
Wow, thanks for the info

Wow looks like I need to buy one more thing, that's what I get for assuming. I figured being marketed to new folks and sold at best buy they'd have them pretty close like phantoms. Should have known since they don't feel like real high quality material. Thanks I'll be buying a balancer and checking all 8 I have I'll let you know that goes. What are opinions on taking or adding material? Which seems best to guys with experience is shaving like this the best option, I'd think so but can't hurt to ask?

Wow looks like I need to buy one more thing, that's what I get for assuming. I figured being marketed to new folks and sold at best buy they'd have them pretty close like phantoms. Should have known since they don't feel like real high quality material. Thanks I'll be buying a balancer and checking all 8 I have I'll let you know that goes. What are opinions on taking or adding material? Which seems best to guys with experience is shaving like this the best option, I'd think so but can't hurt to ask?
I have always sanded and removed material. Back side of the heavy blade. Remove evenly across the entire length of the blade. Adding material (some will use a drop of super glue) will disrupt the airflow some.

If it is fairly close, I will use about a 240 sandpaper. If it needs a great deal, I will light scrape with a blade the full length and width then finish with sandpaper.

Reactions: Adimuzio513

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc