Stable video in windy conditions?

JonW - I would check your gimbal install. The HDMI cable can cause this issue if it is not routed properly. With that much wind moving the craft around the rubber mounts are supposed to help out. If the HMDI cable is hung up on something the rubber dampers are useless. There are a few threads on here addressing the HDMI cable routing.
Opened it up again tonight (gimbal mount and battery tray) and verified that the install is all correct - rubber dampers all intact and hdmi cable routed correctly. Nothing bound up or incorrectly contacting anywhere. So now I just need for it to stop raining for another test flight. Looks like maybe Saturday.

You'll get more stable video flying into the wind as opposed to flying with it as another poster suggested.
Also, I've always wondered about the "I-beam" construction of the legs as I'm sure they catch a lot of wind with all the 90deg angles. Seems there could be a better more aerodynamic way to make these.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Has anyone had luck getting smooth, stable video flying Solo in windy conditions? I have only had my gimbal for a week now and flew yesterday in the strongest winds I have flown in yet. It was maybe 15mph with 20+ gusts. The video was all so shaky it is unusable. Maybe it could be saved with stabilization software but I have never done that before. My gimbal and props are balanced. All flying was in GPS mode to utilize smart shots. I'm sure it would have been smoother drifting in "fly manual" but I really wanted the capability of smart shots. So it just seems that in GPS mode there is a wind threshold above which usable video is not possible. I'm wondering if anyone has experimented enough to know that limit.

Here is a video I did flying in 15-20 mph winds.....
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Reactions: Jubalr
I just posted this video in the Photos and Video section. I was flying in 10-15 knot winds the entire time.

nice video. is the playback at full speed? or were you just flying really slow? Just curious. As for all the other comments about the wind and shaky video, I can only say that the Solo seems to outshine my Iris is all cases.

Reactions: Carlos Melendez
Looks pretty stable. If you keep the gimbal below 90 deg, (I use 85) it will help keep the props out of the frame. An ND filter will help with the prop shadows.

Reactions: Carlos Melendez
nice video. is the playback at full speed? or were you just flying really slow? Just curious. As for all the other comments about the wind and shaky video, I can only say that the Solo seems to outshine my Iris is all cases.

here's what I mean about shaky. sustained 10-15 MPH winds..more at elevation .. although I'll admit near the end of the video I was the partly the shaky one

here's what I mean about shaky. sustained 10-15 MPH winds..more at elevation .. although I'll admit near the end of the video I was the partly the shaky one

There is definitely something wrong with Solo or the gimbal- that is not normal.

I just started using ProDrenalin to remove fisheye and stabilize some minor shaking I occasionally have. You can download a free demo at ProDrenalin.com. It will only allow you to fix a 10 second section so you can see if you like it. I liked it so well I bought it- it works awesome on removing minor shaking and really good with more serious stuff. If you use coupon code "3DR" it costs $19.95.

You might try that while you're fixing the actual problem.

I just posted this video in the Photos and Video section. I was flying in 10-15 knot winds the entire time.

Why do several of the videos that I see posted, yours included, seem to lock into a sharper setting at about 5 seconds into the playback? At first it is less than HD. But after the 5 sec mark you have a crystal clear picture.

I can only guess it could be the go pro actually getting a focus lock. I think this because when turning into the sun you can clearly see the go pro changing focus settings

Here is something I shot with my replacement solo out of the box. winds were 25-30mph. There are a few jitters but for that kind of wind not bad. I was shot on a 4 black and run through gopro studio. Shot in 4K wide. I would normally crop out the foot in edit

It does seem abnormally shaky but what's up with the twitchy panning? Is that you doing that? Maybe put down the crack pipe before you go out to shoot! ;) kidding

It does seem abnormally shaky but what's up with the twitchy panning? Is that you doing that? Maybe put down the crack pipe before you go out to shoot! ;) kidding
I was noticing the twitchy yaw/pan in many of my video's. Is there a way to decrease the sensitivity of the controller? Is this a shortcoming of the tarot gimbal? And just to be clear..in order to comply with FAA guidelines I did not smoke crack for at least 8 hours prior to flying

In the Solo app, under Solo settings you can set the forward speed and the yaw speed of Solo using the "tortoise- hare" sliders.

Tarrot now has a 3 axis gimbal, I wonder how that is

Last edited:
I've had good luck in strong winds when I fly smoothly. Rapid ascent is a problem in choppy air. First scenes had some turbulence. The rest was pretty good ...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44