Sony QX1 on Solo Setup, don't waste your money

Reaction score
Hi guys this a setup that I made for my Solo, to do mapping. I am not good at programming, electronics and that kind of things, but I found a way to integrate a QX1 to the Solo with Live Streaming and fully control the camera from the ground. As you can see in the images you don't need to spend money if you have Gopro blackets, the are inexpensive even you can buy some made of aluminium, for a couple of bucks in ebay, wish, aliexpress, etc. As you can see I just use a camera attachment for gopro mounts and an extension. The pink cable that you see in the image is to trigger the camera while you are using Tower app, in a survey mission, this one is from Seagull, is a Seagull REC. But for this project you don't need it. I secure the sony camera with a steel cable to the drone, just in case the brackets breaks. I also 3D printed a extension feets, but as you can see the camera is very close to the body of the drone. you can also tilt the camera thru multiples degrees with this setup, just untight the knob and you are done, I had to 3D print a tool to tighten hard the knob and avoid any movement of the camera.
Now when you have all the hardware done, the only thing you need is a companion computer,...they are really expensive from 1000 to 3000. But what about an old smartphone!!! I am planning this yet, but we can attach a smartphone to the body, connected to the camera wifi, and streaming thru, micro USB to mini HDMI connector, this is just for streaming, you can control the camera while the drone is in ground, but if you have, another data plan in the smartphone you are using as companion you can remotely control that unit from ground, using any kind of remote desktop, teamviewer, splashtop, etc.
Well I am planning to use playmemories to control the camera, when I want to take pictures, videos, etc. or we can use an app called TIMELAPSE to do that, for missions, you can also have the sony multiport open, so you can use a physical trigger for accurate match late in post-prossessing.
Hope you enjoy doing this hack.
Let me know your progress.

Attachments

• 20170504_203941.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 285
  • 20170504_203931.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 254
  • 20170504_203922.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 235
  • 20170504_203854.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 225
what sort of companion computer are you looking at
The Solo IMX6 boards are 50 bucks
even high end Nvidia companion computers are sub 1K

How much does that stuff weigh? How well does it fly? Any idea how much flight time you will lose?

Very ingenious- hope you get it working!

Where is connected the pink cable or other one before or after the Seagull? Send a picture!! Grazie

if you are asking about the link above, no "seagulls" are involved - or needed :)

if you are asking about the link above, no "seagulls" are involved - or needed :)
ok, so what's connected to the motherboard? the pink cable for the trigger as it triggers the QX1?

The website tells; one is pwm input, like a servo, the other is the signal goes to another pwm port, used as input to sense shutter

Thank you very much and sorry for the insistence but I would like to have a picture I would be grateful!! because I have no experience.... :(

just search for how to get RC channels 6,7,8 out of a Solo, it's all there, it is simple to just solder on a servo wire inside..

I am not sure what you mean by "normal shutter cable" ? - ask the author of the QX1 mod instead, from that I see , there is no need for no extra stuff.

I used the Seagull REC for this!! In the site you can have all the information you need in order to get the seagull working, for 3DR Solo with the seagull Map is enough. And then you need to configure your board to get the shoots. I connected the Seagull to Pin19, ground and power on the Solo.
0f3f3fa7d541d9f29e955176c80defb76581c3b5.jpg

White is signal
01b23b75aa96fbe3461da92403d95ea9aefe6c78d8.jpg

Pin 19 is CH7
MissionPlanner_SeagullMAP_CameraSetup_v2.png

Reactions: Francesco
Also check this video I am working on it
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

We can use a generic gimbal on solo I am using here a Tarot 2D

It's possible resend the photo post? My mail is [email protected]
I used the Seagull REC for this!! In the site you can have all the information you need in order to get the seagull working, for 3DR Solo with the seagull Map is enough. And then you need to configure your board to get the shoots. I connected the Seagull to Pin19, ground and power on the Solo.
0f3f3fa7d541d9f29e955176c80defb76581c3b5.jpg

White is signal
01b23b75aa96fbe3461da92403d95ea9aefe6c78d8.jpg

Pin 19 is CH7
MissionPlanner_SeagullMAP_CameraSetup_v2.png

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
frank2000