Someone educate me

Reaction score
I hate Apple so I have no clue what I am doing here.
Looking at the IPAD Mini 2,3 and 4
they seem to be not that different.
No GPS on any of them so have to buy one with cellular
Mini 2 appears to be slotted to get IOS10 the next version of software.

They are much cheaper than the 4
Since I will only be using this for SOLO period. would a 2 be just fine?
Or do I need ot go for a 3 or 4 and why?

Depends on when ios11 comes out and IF 3dr makes that a requirement for their app, and IF the mini2 doesn't get ios11. Speculation that mini2 won't get ios11 a year from now, but its very typical of their release cycle. It's the lowest end mini getting the ios10 update so not a stretch that it will be obsoleted in the next ios update after that. Lotta IF's in there, but I'd get the mini3 if you want to be sure it will work for a few years.

If you hate Apple, why get one at all? There are plenty of Android tablets to choose from.

If you hate Apple, why get one at all? There are plenty of Android tablets to choose from.
3dr has stated several times now that not all features will make it to Android going forward starting with the current version 2.4, even if the hardware on many Androids is superior and perfectly capable.

Lol yes I know I own three android tablets and a company issued IPhone. But to leverage solos full potential an IPad is looking more and more like a necessity which is why I don't want to invest any more than I need to in an inferior product

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3dr has stated several times now that not all features will make it to Android going forward starting with the current version 2.4, even if the hardware on many Androids is superior and perfectly capable.
Is that official now? I've only heard rumors on this board.
Can you share any links from 3DR? I can't find anything there. Thanks.

I've been using the Mini4 for a few days now, I really loved my Android tablet with 4G, but the cellular ipad is just too damn expensive. I went with the 4 because I didn't want it to be obsolete within a year.
I did try tethering it to my Android phone via Bluetooth for internet and it worked. Kind of cumbersome but a good way of having internet while connected to the Solo.

3DR is pretty active on the facebook Solo Owners Page, and they made it pretty clear Android is now the red-headed stepchild as far as their release priorities go.

Here's a direct quote from Vu Tran that he announced on facebook: 3DR Announces Android App v2.4 out in "few weeks"

Read Chris Andersons recent responses posted within the last day:
Yes, many Android features will continue to trail iOS features in release time, since the same team works on both and has to sequence them, but we are going to try to maintain as much feature parity as possible. But to answer your question directly, iOS is the preferred platform and Android releases may not have 100% of the same features.
Using the new geofencing feature with the 3DR Solo

Ok again you apple folks help me out here
I found an IPAD Mini 2 Cellular AT&T for 250.00
My understanding is you do not have to have a data plan for GPS to work. Is that true?
I know the mini 2 will get IOS 10
I would have to assume the solo app would stay relevant to atleast IOS9 for a good while.
The Mini 3 performance wize was an upgrade on the camera but meh
The mini 4 is much faster but is a lot more expensive.

Is the 2 a decent move?
Any mini 2 flyers out there?
Don't care about the baramoter thing.

Ok again you apple folks help me out here
I found an IPAD Mini 2 Cellular AT&T for 250.00
My understanding is you do not have to have a data plan for GPS to work. Is that true?
I know the mini 2 will get IOS 10
I would have to assume the solo app would stay relevant to atleast IOS9 for a good while.
The Mini 3 performance wize was an upgrade on the camera but meh
The mini 4 is much faster but is a lot more expensive.

Is the 2 a decent move?
Any mini 2 flyers out there?
Don't care about the baramoter thing.
i have an iPad mini2. which is cellular, for mini 2 at $250. no... you can find it cheaper.. my iPad mini2 is on a data plan. but i'm on T-mobile and they have a data plan called match your data, i get the same amount of data on my iPad as my phone for only $10...

My brother bought an ipad off of CL about a year ago. Worked when he was in front of the guy. After he paid and left the person locked it via iCloud about 15 minutes later.
I guess you have to be very knowledgeable about these things, I'm heavy into apple, I used to be a web developer, I know a lot about Apple products, especially when the changing of iOS versions, first thing when buying iPad from anyone is to turn it on and do a full opening, that means all the way to the home screen the. Go straight into settings and iCloud to make sure it's not iCloud locked, because if it is, it's like owning a brick. If the iCloud account email is on it, make the person remove it, if they can't the iPad is stolen

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nothingworks