Some operators give us a bad name!

Here's one I found on YouTube; I tried to have a reasonable conversation with the guy that was flying the drone. He had no interest in understanding what he might have done differently.
https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/irresponsible-drone-rship-douglas-spotted-eagle?trk=prof-post

Sad thing is that several producers wanted to use his footage for ABC, NBC, etc.
What an absolute moron. His Phantom couldn't hurt the antelope or even break his own skin, right?
Riiigght...

Here's one I found on YouTube; I tried to have a reasonable conversation with the guy that was flying the drone. He had no interest in understanding what he might have done differently.
https://www.linkedin.com/pulse/irresponsible-drone-rship-douglas-spotted-eagle?trk=prof-post

Sad thing is that several producers wanted to use his footage for ABC, NBC, etc.

Some individuals are just plain ignorant or just don't care about the laws, guidelines and rules of flying UAV. IMO they need to be heavily reprimanded/fined by the appropriate authorities.

What an absolute moron. His Phantom couldn't hurt the antelope or even break his own skin, right?
Riiigght...

Here's the thing; I don't know I'd agree he's a "moron." A "moron" would imply that he's had opportunity or means of gathering knowledge/information, and decisively chose to ignore it. I'd promote that this guy doesn't know what he doesn't know, and it's up to the FAA, Transport Canada, communities like our own, AMA, MAAC, etc to keep getting the word out and informing all these new drone owners. The FAA can't create schools, they can only recommend standards of behavior and legal expectation. Therefore, it's up to everyone else to do the schooling.
I'm an Examiner for the USPA and CSPA. That means I teach the teachers, and have written curricula for skydiving standards (specifically wingsuit piloting). I'm also an FAI judge (FAI will oversee drones in competition), and as part of that program, creating standards documents is required.
What this means is that in these two arenas, the community has elected organizations to create, maintain, and enforce standards of behavior in both recreational and sport competition skydiving. Currently there is no such organization in drone flight. Therefore, it's difficult to get too angry or bothered by what people do, but rather be bothered that there is no standard to which they can be trained, held to, and reprimanded.
AMA is in the best position to make this happen, but frankly, after seeing some of the AMA cats around the web, that's NOT gonna work. I wish I knew the answer to the problem we're all so very aware of.

Reactions: erikgraham

not good.
in view of the fact that we are currently operating under relaxed rules (as CASA Australia are still in the process of finalizing new regulations to be released later this year), incidents like this one are not going to help us to keep the rules relaxed. maybe they should make different set of rules for the "white" drones

I recall when I bought my bird 7 months ago, in the box was a bright yellow CASA flyer stating UAV rules and regulations. This was the first thing I looked at and read, familiarising myself with what I needed to abide by. I also check the CASA website on a regular basis to see whether or not there have been any amendments to the rules / laws.

The problem is though, not all people are created equal as some choose to either ignore the information and thus do not take it seriously, or believe that "I can do what the bloody hell I like as long as I don't get caught". That sh**s me to no end! These nobs should have the book thrown at them - HUGE monetary fines!

I feel better now.

We already have so many rules in Australia. I can't fart without approval! Idiots like that should be fined and made an idiot of on national TV. Of all places to crash your drone, no respect whatsoever.

I do think we have to be a little careful here. I can place myself in the "moron" category on more than one occasion regarding UAV's. I first became interested in this industry when I heard Jeff Bezos talking about using these things for deliveries. After seeing the news report I immediately went to the Internet to explore. I was a recently retired, always self-employed, businessman bored to death.

I ultimately found the "white" guys site and started doing some research. They were pushing the P2 at the time. Having never flown any type of craft before, I got a few of the less expensive "toy" ones to learn how to fly them. Wow, what an exoerience! I mastered the toys within about a month and purchased my P2. I bet I had that thing for two weeks before I even tried to put it in the air. I was having a blast just absorbing all of the information being posted and learning about the systems.

Over the next few months I became a fairly proficient pilot and became a beta tester for a few of the 3rd party apps that we're starting to coming out. I was very interested in autonomous flight and the concept that Bezos described regarding package delivery. I started pushing my bird to see how far I could get the thing to go in an autonomous manner. I live in the boonies so interference, people and obstacles were not as much an issue. I took great care in pre-planning and in attempting to maximize battery performance without damage to the batteries. I was totally into this thing!

As I started carefully testing the many 3rd party apps and started seeing people jump right in and start crashing brand new birds because of lack of knowledge, research and due-diligence, I started to get annoyed. At first it was with the "morons" crashing these birds but after some reflection on my own entry into this hobby, my target changed to the manufacturers and developers of these birds and apps.

Documentation was all but non-existent. Everything was trial and error and if you weren't willing to spend hour after hour, day after day, seeking information, learning and experimenting, there was no way you were going to learn how these systems and apps worked.

I, on the other hand, was having a great (sometimes very frustrating) time. I was devoting every hour of every day to this hobby. I was also being solicited to join other " beta" programs. After agreeing to beta a particular app and finding it so very lacking in information and communication, I got further annoyed with the manufacturers and developers.

At least I now had a solid foundation of understanding with regards to these systems but manufacturers and developers were marketing these things as "toys" and every app was the best app with the latest and greatest "new" feature. They provided limited or no documentation but had the best "new" feature out there.

I started to voice my concern to both the manufacturers and developers. They needed to provide more information, instruction, documentation and warnings to consumers about these things and should stop marketing them as RTF toys.

In what became a very heated discussion with the "clique" and some of the developers over at the "white" forum, in March of last year, I warned them that if they didn't take positive measures to set-up and deploy more of what I described in the previous paragraph that the government would certainly get involved and do so. That all sorts of things would happen, such as, licensing, laws, fees, regulations and complete government oversight. All of the things that are happening today.

In my opinion, we have to be careful of labeling people "morons", the manufacturers marketing these things as RTF toys and the developers providing the latest and greatest "new" feature without documentation or thorough testing bear much more of the burden for the black eye this industry has garnered.

Most of these "morons" bought a box that was marketed to take out of the box and throw in the air. For the sake of this discussion, I was one of those "morons". Fortunately for me, I had a lot of time on my hands and was looking for something to consume that time. Most of the other "morons" didn't take or have the time to understand that these things weren't what the manufacturers were marketing them to be.

I don't have a job, so all I've got is time. Joe Blow, has a job, kids, a mortgage to pay and countless other things that consumes his time. He certainly doesn't have the time and resources to devote the enormous number of hours that I have been afforded to execute the due-diligence that I have.

Many of you are professionals in a field that benefits from the use of UAV's, therefore, your need to understand this industry and its regulations is part of your profession. Joe Blow is an auto mechanic, an accountant, a sales clerk, a clothing store manager, etc., he's not necessarily a "moron". Just someone trying to have a bit of fun with the little spare time he has.

If you want to be mad at someone, it should be the guys that are mis-marketing these products. These very forums provide a vehicle to help educate Joe Blow and they typically do a great job of such. I can't begin to tell you how very much I've learned from these pages and people.

I'm here to continue to learn but I'm also here to help educate those that know less than I do in hopes of preventing them from becoming just another "moron".

All just my opinions, of course.

Jerry

I do think we have to be a little careful here. I can place myself in the "moron" category on more than one occasion regarding UAV's.
In my opinion, we have to be careful of labeling people "morons", the manufacturers marketing these things as RTF toys and the developers providing the latest and greatest "new" feature without documentation or thorough testing bear much more of the burden for the black eye this industry has garnered.

I'm here to continue to learn but I'm also here to help educate those that know less than I do in hopes of preventing them from becoming just another "moron".

All just my opinions, of course.

Jerry

Very well said, Jerry.

great post
Technology enabled a lot of us beyond our knowledge and capability. And it did it rapidly

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
snarus