Solo won't land

Reaction score
As the weather got warmer I broke out my Solo for some flying. Aside from charging the batteries, I was ready to go. First flight went well but my trouble started when I went to land - it would touch down but not shut off. It started to rise again but then flipped over. It's done this several times now and doesn't matter if I land it by hitting the fly button or just landing it manually. I have no idea why but I can't fly it again until I can land it safely.

Reactions: Mark35mi
I just got my bird outta the closet.
Could not find the vehicle calibration in solex... but guessing that's your issue. Calibrate so your bird knows up from down.

That does seem to be the problem. I noticed that it is incorrect when I look at the height it is supposed to be. When I am 1' off the ground, it says I am ~3' so that when I touch down, it shows that I am still flying.

Have you upgraded to Open Solo? The reason being it has a much better "Auto Land" detect than the stock solo software. You should always try landing in "Manual" instead of autoland anyway. Temperature variations or air density can affect the internal barometer and give false height readings which will after ground level detection.

So when you landed manually you should have shut off the motors by bring the throttle down and to the left. It takes about 3 seconds if the drone doesn't shut off by itself first.

Open Solo is the new and updated software for the drone that cuts the ties with the old 3DR software (so no need to do any "preflight update" after resetting the drone). You can find full documentation here:
OpenSolo/documentation

I find the easiest way to upgrade is via Solex as it becomes a simple 3 step process. All instructions are in the documentation but I urge you to read them fully and understand them before performing an upgrade.

Reactions: DJMc and Solid Hit
Besides landing issues does the bird have any quirky flight behavior? If so, the IMU may have a 'stuck' IMU sensor. Hold the Solo upside down and whack the belly firmly with your other hand then re-calibrate. Sounds silly, but it works for stuck sensors. I've done that before to solve unpredictable behaviors.

There doesn't seem to be any other issue but I will try that anyway. Thank you

If u flew the battery down below 25% then maybe the solo was in rtl and u didn’t even know it. Been there.

Thank you for the suggestion but the battery was at least 75%. I was just getting used to flying it again so I was only flying it over my pasture then back to me for a landing.

Reactions: 99203jack

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alan r pfennig