Solo with Rev B GPS returned for service, Rev A GPS returned

Reaction score
I had the "level calibration" error.

Sent the Solo back in for warranty exchange...I had a Rev B GPS, now I have a Rev A.

I installed the new 3DR GPS shield on the replacement Solo. Honestly, even with the new GPS shield, GPS reception doesn't seem that great. But...I only had TWO FLIGHTS with my original Solo, so I really don't know just how much different the Rev A with shield is...

Should I try to return this one for another exchange?

Thanks...

--

Bill

I noticed very little difference between the rev a and rev b with the shield
Having said that, I just got the new mrobotics m8 gps module
that thing seems to be a major improvement.
My rev b is going on my backup solo

This is all very strange. Two weeks ago I bought Solo #2 at the Best Buy fire sale.

It has the Rev A GPS. It gets a lock and is ready to fly in under 30 seconds. It acquires max # of sats before it can climb to 100'.

Solo #1 had the Rev A GPS. (They all did then) Took 3-4 minutes to get a lock and about a week to get max sats. So I replaced it with the M8N last year.

Got a Solo a few months ago with Rev B. In an open area where I fly frequently, was getting 8-12 sats, 1.2+ HDOP. Bought a Best Buy Solo, had the Rev A in it, 7-8 sats, 1.6+ HDOP. So I put the Neo-M8N in both. Was flying yesterday with 20 sats, .6 HDOP. Pretty dramatic improvement. Plug and play unit here: mRo GPS u-Blox Neo-M8N (Release 2)

Reactions: Maddog
Just fitted the Neo-M8N (Releae 2), a simple replacement of the existing GPS board, I now have 21 sats with 0.6 HDOP on the East coat of Ireland, GPS lock with 10+Sats in 10 - 15 seconds.
This is brilliant addition for Solo, a must have upgrade.

A big thanks to mRobotics.io for a excellent service, delivered within 72 hours.

Reactions: Maddog
I might sound like a completely lost noob here, but what's the difference between the two?
Well, the Rev A board is green, and the Rev B board is black. Other performance issue reports are often anecdotal - but who among us doesn't like the latest and greatest revision of anything? :eek:

Well, the Rev A board is green, and the Rev B board is black. Other performance issue reports are often anecdotal - but who among us doesn't like the latest and greatest revision of anything? :eek:
Lol funny how they're just different colors. Also, I remember watching a gps mod vid on YouTube that said to put a piece of cardboard between the gps antenna and the copper RF protection film. Gotta see if that works when I get my quad.

There is more to it than the color. That's just how you can identify them with you're eyes. The rev B fixes some issues that exist on the rev A, but not all.

Lol funny how they're just different colors. Also, I remember watching a gps mod vid on YouTube that said to put a piece of cardboard between the gps antenna and the copper RF protection film. Gotta see if that works when I get my quad.
As for using either of the stock board(s), my greatest single improvement was cardboard under the copper (before the new shield came out). But let's face it - if you want real GPS improvement you'll need to install at least some flavor of M8N with GPS, GLONASS, etc. Both Revs A & B are M7s with USA GPS sats only - though as I remember(ugh) the Rev B has a newer M7.

There is more to it than the color. That's just how you can identify them with you're eyes. The rev B fixes some issues that exist on the rev A, but not all.
That was tongue-in-cheek as the only real, or at least only truly significant improvement is the M8N. (see my post above)

ETA: I have 4 Solos:
  • Rev A cardboard/copper
  • Rev A no cardboard/has new shield
  • M8N shield
  • Rev B shield
Only the M8N is something to write home about.

Last edited:
I might sound like a completely lost noob here, but what's the difference between the two?
See my previous post on this thread. In my experience, big difference in performance.

I'll consider myself one of the fortunate ones. My original Solo bought in July 2015 had a mind numbingly long wait for GPS. After one of the software/firmware updates, not sure exactly when, I get GPS lock within 30 seconds. Thought that was just fine.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andre felipe colorado