Solo w gimbal, 8 prop and 2 batteries. new lower price point of $499

I agree with all your points, but it's not really resale value I'm concerned with. I'm more concerned with at least getting more than 1 year's worth of use out of it. In reality, I've probably flown a grand total of 15 hours....in little 15-30 minute spurts here and there. So really, that's not a lot of use.

And FYI, I just sold my 5 year old Canon 5D MKII for over $1000, just about 50% of it's new value over 5 years ago. My 1 year anniversary with Solo just passed.

I hear 'ya, but short of a crash, there's really nothing that should wear out that's not replaceable. Bearings or whole motors can be replaced, the ESCs should last forever, I'm sure they're sufficiently overrated that they're not going to wear out from basic use. So that 1 to 2 years was, I think, an extreme. I was just saying if it was grounded within that time, I still think I would get use out of it equal to what I could sell it for today.

That's pretty good on your 5D... I have the original, just before they added video to them, and at one point I considered selling both it and my 20D to get a new 5D MKwhatever, and I don't think I would have netted more than $500 between them. I still have a D60 that I'd have to pay someone to take! But even that, I keep in case I want to do some time lapse and don't want to put thousands of shutter releases on my 5D.

But again, I feel your pain. I just think there's there's little point offloading the Solo now. They still fly great, there's a few minor bugs in a few minor features, but all the main things work great. If you're concerned about parts, buy a few spare motor pods, or look out for someone else selling for $300 and pick up an entire spare.

Why are you guys buying up drones that are no longer going to be supported? 3DR is closing the doors and ending its support of the solo. Now you have a drone with no guarantee on it...

Exactly why some are buying them. Others because they are beloved ships.
But even the issue with the gopro firmware.
I am a Photographer, not a videographer and the gopro being able to shoot in RAW now is awesome, but I can't upgrade unless I want to lose the ability to control my GoPro in flight. Sure, I could set it to timelapse, but who wants to go through 300+ photos when I can go up, frame my shots, take a few clicks and be done. Also, what if I want to change my shutter speed mid flight because I turned into the sun....

All this removes the reasons I got a solo in the first place. So unless some hackers will opensource this for us...3DR will no longer be providing update for these kinds of concerns. It's a step back, not a step forward if you ask me.

Reactions: Brendon Baddiley
But even the issue with the gopro firmware.
I am a Photographer, not a videographer and the gopro being able to shoot in RAW now is awesome, but I can't upgrade unless I want to lose the ability to control my GoPro in flight. Sure, I could set it to timelapse, but who wants to go through 300+ photos when I can go up, frame my shots, take a few clicks and be done. Also, what if I want to change my shutter speed mid flight because I turned into the sun....

All this removes the reasons I got a solo in the first place. So unless some hackers will opensource this for us...3DR will no longer be providing update for these kinds of concerns. It's a step back, not a step forward if you ask me.
Solo's strength is in videography more than photography, as it can perform cinema shots that can not currently be duplicated by any other single person bird. If there are settings that as a photographer you are unable to change in flight, then you are limited by what you can change or auto modes.

Solo's strength is in videography more than photography, as it can perform cinema shots that can not currently be duplicated by any other single person bird. If there are settings that as a photographer you are unable to change in flight, then you are limited by what you can change or auto modes.
Every drone by 2017 will have these cinema shots. You don't think Karma will have these considering how close Colin works with Gopro?

Why are you guys buying up drones that are no longer going to be supported? 3DR is closing the doors and ending its support of the solo. Now you have a drone with no guarantee on it...

Because $500 is an absolute steal for the capabilities, and it could be argued that, with the Solo's largely open-source nature, it has an inherently larger support system than competing products.

I'll admit to not having first hand knowledge, but the many tales I've read of dealing with DJI support are nothing to write home about. So the reality is, either way, you're going to be relying on the community for most of your support needs.

In spite if all the trying by others, Solo smart shots (or at least MPCC) remains the standard.

And we've had them for, what, 1.5 to 2 years now? It's a pretty pathetic argument to say "why spend $500 today when you could spend $1000 next year for hopefully the same features".

As I said previously, support now sucks across the board, 3DR is now about on par with everyone else in that regard. So all things now basically equal, you're still getting more and better capabilities NOW for less money with a Solo.

Last edited:
Every drone by 2017 will have these cinema shots. You don't think Karma will have these considering how close Colin works with Gopro?
They may, or may not have them. The ability to perform the calculations needed for those shots is not done by the Flight Controller, but the companion computer that is on board. That is what the other birds do not have. With the new PH2 and carrier board coming available in the next few weeks, that is what will open the ability to perform those shots and more. But I haven't heard of any main stream manufacturer plans to use them, yet.

Your link takes you to a page of several videos, some that weren't even shot with a drone. And none that showed a MPCC cinematic shot.
The one shot in the library, the teaser video. It was likely shot with a handheld gimbal but if it was infact shot with karma, it was most likely with a MPCC
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

The one shot in the library, the teaser video. It was likely shot with a handheld gimbal but if it was infact shot with karma, it was most likely with a MPCC
Negative, you would need CM level accuracy to go between the shelves. And as pointed out in the Karma thread, there is no prop wash over paperwork. They would also be showing extreme unsafe flying. Liely done with their new handheld gimbal..

but if it was infact shot with karma, it was most likely with a MPCC

Highly unlikely, as the level of accuracy needed to hit some of those spaces would require a ground-referenced/corrected positioning system, which I just don't see as part of a consumer drone in a market that's going through a full scale race to the bottom price wise.

My guess is that the Karma is going to have some sort of removable gimbal/stabilizer that can be taken from the drone and used handheld.

That's the only explanation for some of the shots in their promo videos.

Reactions: Crisp Rice

Cable cam technologies require GPS to function, and no consumer drone (or device of any kind) to date can boast GPS positioning accurate enough to autopilot that close to objects without great risk—indoors or outdoors.

Solo MPCC easily and quickly performs autopilot moves with an unparalleled smoothness for spectacular cinematic results, even when executed by those with little experience or skill. This is sought after and valued by some above features found in other products that can only come ~close~ to Solo MPCC, and only with great effort.

[Also, just to mention... MPCC is a proprietary technology of 3DR.]

Reactions: franknitty69
I say the video was done with fancy hollywood crap. Nobody even flinches or notices the drone until the last girl. It was probably done with computers and green screens or something.

Solo is a wonderful machine that was badly handled by it's manufacturer. I love mine and will continue to fly it but when my PH2 arrives, the quad I build around it will become my primary flying machine.

As I said a few days ago I ordered the deal from BestBuy. Update: I got everything delivered 2 days later, including the gimble.
Albert, I did that Amazon deal on my original bird purchase and it has worked out great with the backpack for sure.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44