Solo took a little dip in the lake.

Reaction score
So funny story, I was out at the lake this weekend. Placed my solo on the dock and achieved gps lock. I proceeded to launch the bird and she went up about 4 feet and then did an immediate nose dive into the lake. Lost forever... Bye bye solo, gimbal, and go pro :(

Fortunately 3dr reviewed the logs and deemed the number 3 motor failed and they are going to replace it. I received an RMA from them and I'm supposed to mail the controller back.

Does anyone know the address to return it to? There are a few on their website. Just want to make sure I send it to the right place. I figured I'd just confirm with 3dr tomorrow. Just thought I would ask here to see if anyone knows.

Thankfully you didn't have the much raved P3 or else you would be fully out. How does it feel to be dealing with a company that has your back?

Feels amazing! Watching 2k dollars worth of drone sink to the bottom of a lake was gut wrenching. My heart skipped several beats. I was able to send them the logs from the boat a few minutes later. By the time I got home they had already responded and let me know what happened and that they would take care of me.

Last edited:
Feels amazing! Watching 2k dollars worth of drone sink to the bottom of a lake was gut wrenching. My heart skipped several beats. I as able to send them the logs from the boat a few minutes later. By the time I got home they had already responded and let me know what happened and that they wo

THAT ROCKS !

Reactions: Levin789
Wow I was bummed just hearing the start of your story, don't even want to imagine living it. Is it far too deep or high current to even go after or what, think I'd be renting diving gear even after the good news. Glad to hear the service side of 3dr seems to be on point and your horror story turned Into a brand new setup.

Keep hearing of motor failures though, a whole lot of them recently. Hope it's just coincidence but seems like we should all have a while left even flying every day. Oh well I guess with that kinda service it's not as huge but I hope it doesn't cause any safety or property issues. Adding the gimbals only adding stress to em now too hope this isn't a weak point we've found in an otherwise tough built bird.

the depth gauge on my boat was reading about 17ft. i thought about just jumping in and going for it but it was murky water and i new everything would be ruined anyways. I think i froze in the moment anyways. I was in shock at what had just happened. That was my first and only crash/issues with the solo to date.

Reactions: Adimuzio513
Yea not sure what I'd do proly be shocked as well in the moment, then cry like a little girl. Anyway glad to hear it all went well for ya, I may go diving for your gimbal myself here soon. Good luck and safe flying

3DR is pretty good at getting replacements and parts - I got my new HDMI cable even though I needed it since July 14th- 45 days- they wanted me to check and make sure it was the cable - I had to purchase an HDMI for my GoPro to TV then had to try Another GoPro in case and finally showed them a pic of the damaged cable. all is well now - but could have been avoided #1 don't get it made in China, #2 the logs tell the story trust the customer (Well at least the experienced ones) I informed them of my background.

Yea agreed but they have to be skeptical cause even experienced guys can be scam artists, great to see the honest folks seem to be having great results though, even if it's taking time in some cases.

This stories definitley helping my recent bad taste for how things are going with my gimbal. I'm pretty confident once I finally have everything I'll be a very happy customer for the life of my solo.

Reactions: Levin789
the depth gauge on my boat was reading about 17ft.

Where are you located? It might look murky looking down, but it might not be bad with a mask. I lost a small outboard motor in a Vermont lake, about 25 feet depth. Going back with scuba gear this weekend to retrieve it. Looking down, lakes always look very dark and murky, but from below the surface, quite a bit of light still gets down. I'd definitely try to get it back, if only just for spare plastic parts.

So I'm new to flying a drone. How do you know if one of your motors needs replacing before you have an epic crash? are there any signs?
Plus how often should you replace a prop?

Reactions: Burkeam
Possibly checking the current draw. Not sure what it is on one which is operating normally.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
andre felipe colorado