Solo seems to have failed after update attempt

Reaction score
Hi folks, hoping you can help. I attempted to update my stock drone to dev4, having done this in two others without issue. I now have an issue whereby the motor pod LEDs are now the wrong colours.
Pod 4=yellow solid then after 10 mins solid blue
Pod 2=yellow solid then after 10 mins solid blue
Pod 1=green solid
Pod 3=red solid
I have changed the motor out of pod 3 solid red with a known good pod and no change.
I have installed the open solo 3.0.0 onto TX and the drone
But nothing changed. If I turn of the TX the drones LEDs all flash red which is lost connection.
Gimbal heartbeat seems good slow pulse green.
If I press and hold the start motors button I get the two tone beep beep from the drone and the front LEDs flash fast at the same time.
Any advice would be welcome....
Many thanks
Andy

Hello again,
I have tried to update another drone and the exact same thing has happened. The LEDs are exactly the same colour on each pod and I cannot use the drone.
Reading some other posts, it is suggested that removing the as cards and formatting them with the latest firmware from 3dr which is old I know, but this may give me a starting point!
Where would the old update from 3dr be found so I may install to the card and reload. Would this be the right approach to resolving my issue.
Many thanks for advice....
Andy

Those are the correct colors, there is nothing wrong. That's standard aviation red and green up front. The back lights will be yellow when the GPS position is unusable, probably because you're indoors. They back lights will be white when the GPS is good. When all pre-arm checks are passed and the copter is ready for flight, the back lights will begin to strobe.

Pedals2pedals, many thanks for your reply, that makes sense in what you say.im just used to the solid red and solid green LEDs.i didn't realise they would be this colour.
I will now place outdoors as you suggest to see what happens after gps lock.
I will update my findings just incase others have the same issues.
Again grateful for the advice....
Regards Andy

Reactions: Pedals2Paddles
Update and still needing advice please. I have a controller and copper mismatch. As per the pic's.
The controller will not allow me to update any version of firmware either from the old solo app or the solex app.
I have taken another controller and tried the same and still the same error.
Can someone advise how I can update the firmware or do I have to programme the SD card in the TX. I cant see what version is on the drone but I think it took the dev4 during the last update attempt.
The controller can pair to the drone but say mismatch.i am getting the red and green led on the front and whitish blue on the rear as per Pedals2Pedals remarks.
So if I can get the controller updated I think I'm on a winner.
Thanks in advance
Andy 1578079494336.jpeg1578079526215.jpeg

Ok, where I have got so far. I have been able to update both one drone and TX to the open solo dev4 firmware.
It loaded correctly and states this after a few minutes.
The lights are as per P2P states.
I had to do the following:
Calibrate the compass
Calibrate the IMU/level
Reboot both devices and reconnected via solex.
After a few minutes the rear LEDs go blue/white and solid.
I get about 9 sats.
I then get the ok from the TX to press the fly button. When I do this the drone will not launch and I get a two tone sound and the drone will not do anything.
So close yet so far.
Any thoughts on this...
Regards Andy

Ok yet again another find, on the controller when I look into the back of it. I can see a solid red and green and a flashing orange led.
Any ideas what this means, can't see a definite answer on the site.
People keep staying pull the SD card clean and reinstall?
Any thoughts out there....

127 reads and nobody, anybody got some info on this or a point in the right direction.
HELPPPPPP

Two things.

1.) While I appreciate that you feel lost and worried about the situation, please understand that members of the forum contribute voluntarily. Most have jobs and/or families. This can mean that the proper person to help may not visit the forum for days, sometimes weeks. Please exercise an increasingly rare trait: patience. It is a virtue for a reason.

2.) The two-tone sound you describe usually means a pre-arm check has failed. Get hold of a laptop that will run Mission Planner, read up, get yourself connected to get the exact error.

The double sad tone means it is not ready for takeoff. There are many things that could be making it unhappy. Calibrations not done, GPS position bad, low battery, etc.

My good gentlemen, thank you for the replies. Apologies for the rush on approach.
There's nothing worse than having something that hundreds of people have used, tried and install without issue and then when you do it, it just becomes abnormal.
I had done this on two drones before without issue. What was weird was I never got the red,green LEDs on the from or white on the back.they stayed the same as original.
Anyway, I understand I have an issue with pre flight checking but was hoping that someone had come across the two tone warning and could shed light on this so I didn't have to spend hours,days or weeks flogging a dead horse as they say.
Would you have any thoughts on why or if the transmitter is seeing a fault re the LEDs inside it.i have solid red and green and a flashing orange.is this normal or a fault.
I have had no luck in finding the answer.
Again many thanks for all your advice, hard work and helping the likes of myself resolve what I hope is a simple fix.
Regards Andy...

The lights inside the controller are normal.

When you get the sad tone, is there an error displayed on the screen in solex? Are the back lights on the solo white or yellow? Are they flashing or steady?

Hi P2P,
The lights on the drone are green and red front and turn white/blue rear.
I have done a new SD and files from the site and these have loaded ok.
Card installed and screen stuck on preflight. The lights in the controller are solid red and green and pulsing orange.
Lights on drone rear steady. Never strobe. No error on solex displayed.
Everything appears normal apart from the sad tone!
It's 00.15am and I'm going to look mad to the neighbours when they see me out trying to calibrate etc[emoji16]

Did you actually follow the instructions that conclude with calibrations and settings? I'm not sure why you're flashing SD cards and such and keep focusing on those lights in the controller. The controller is fine and the installation was successful if everything is connected. You're just making it more complicated than it needs to be.

I suggest going into the firmware updates menu and hitting reset parameters, followed by a reboot. Then redo all your settings in the vehicle settings menu, and redo your compass and level calibrations.

Did you actually follow the instructions that conclude with calibrations and settings? I'm not sure why you're flashing SD cards and such and keep focusing on those lights in the controller. The controller is fine and the installation was successful if everything is connected. You're just making it more complicated than it needs to be.

I suggest going into the firmware updates menu and hitting reset parameters, followed by a reboot. Then redo all your settings in the vehicle settings menu, and redo your compass and level calibrations.
Hi P2P,
ok so the lights are good in the TX and the drone. I have got as far as both booting up but the TX will not go past the preflight screen. i have reset both units and paired the tx to drone. i have tried using solo to connect to the TX and can see the wifi but thats all i can do, i have tried using the solex and the same thing, im unable to get past the preflight to get to calibrate etc.
i tried a second burn of another sd card 16gb to see would that help as i read in a post that someone had an issue and did as i have done.
the lights on the drone rear turn white and solid but i am indoors at the moment.
any suggestions on how to get past the preflight re TX.....
thanks andy

Hi P2P,
ok so the lights are good in the TX and the drone. I have got as far as both booting up but the TX will not go past the preflight screen. i have reset both units and paired the tx to drone. i have tried using solo to connect to the TX and can see the wifi but thats all i can do, i have tried using the solex and the same thing, im unable to get past the preflight to get to calibrate etc.
i tried a second burn of another sd card 16gb to see would that help as i read in a post that someone had an issue and did as i have done.
the lights on the drone rear turn white and solid but i am indoors at the moment.
thanks andy
i forgot to mention after the burn with the new files open solo 3.0.0 7z the controller is still showing 0.6.14 at start up?

Hi P2P,
thanks andy
well i have connected to the tx via solex wifi, the drone will not make connection, i press connect udp and it just displays not connected.. TX still stuck on preflight after 30mins?

There is only so much I can do when you keep doing different things and constantly resetting everything making it worse and more complicated. You apparently also did a factory reset which completely undid the successful installation you already did and put things back to the old 3DR firmware. And you need redo pairing when you do a factory reset, which is probably why you can't connect anything anymore. To be honest, I have absolutely no clue what state any of your equipment is in anymore because it seems you now have three different firmware versions in play.

well i have connected to the tx via solex wifi, the drone will not make connection, i press connect udp and it just displays not connected.. TX still stuck on preflight after 30mins?
ok i have given up on the drone and tx for the moment and went to the other one that had the same issues.
weird issues with this one, i have loaded the open solo dev4 on each unit detailed. followed it to the T. calibrated/imu and paired them. it sang and danced and asked for me to press the fly button and i got the sad tones. i reset again and both devices accepted there fw and not the controller is telling me there is a mismatch install latest updates. how can that be if im using the solex app to install the firmware. i cant figure this out. what am i doing wrong or is the firmware corrupt.
i have reset the params, done a refresh and cleanup and reloaded and still the same result mismatch. open solo 4 logo comes on the tx screen. system updated?
i have a third drone with the stock setup but i dare not use solex on it for fear that i kill another one. the first two were solid flyers on the stock so im thinking i have corrupt firmware or something.
many thanks Andy

Good grief you're all over the place on multiple different drones. This is impossible. None what you just described is what I suggested you do. I'm sorry but I cannot help you if you are so all over the place and keep doing the opposite of what is suggested. It's impossible and there is now nothing I can suggest you do because I have no clue what you have done, when, where, why, or how.

Reactions: badseed41

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dachl