Solo props almost certainly need balancing

Reaction score
It's worth before the gimbal shows up, investing in a Dubro balance, balancing your props is key to avoiding jello especially if you're going to change to a 4.35mm or 5.4mm lens on the GoPro as they pick up jello more often as they're slightly telephoto.

This video will show you what you need to buy and how to balance your props.

I've found that 3 out of 4 props with the Solo are not balanced, and that's checking 2 Solos and a few packs of spare props.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

If you're in the US, these are options.
Du-Bro Tru Spin http://amzn.com/B0006N72Y8
EJH 3DR Solo rod http://amzn.com/B0108LIS4K

Personally I used electrical insulation type tape, I'm not sure what most RC people commonly use.
Good tip Ian! Tape will usually stay on unless it gets damp or you are flying in high humidity. I have always balanced every prop I have before it goes on any flying machine. There are a lot of ways to do it, but I have always preferred sanding the heavier side. It doesn't take much and you can maintain the airfoil by sanding the entire length of the bottom side. Just my preference. You can't go wrong with the Dubro balancer, they are very good quality.

Reactions: Ian [P13]
Tape seems like it would maybe disturb the airflow causing as much trouble as an unbalanced prop.

I'm probably just overly cautious, but I'll stick to sand paper.

Last edited:
It's very flat, if you rub your finger over it you can barely feel it's there. Some people do sand instead which is fine too.

I was just curious as to how much these little rigs cost so I looked. 50 bucks for some V-notched plastic and a rod seems excessive.
Any good diy solutions that anyone knows of?

Good tip Ian! Tape will usually stay on unless it gets damp or you are flying in high humidity. I have always balanced every prop I have before it goes on any flying machine. There are a lot of ways to do it, but I have always preferred sanding the heavier side. It doesn't take much and you can maintain the airfoil by sanding the entire length of the bottom side. Just my preference. You can't go wrong with the Dubro balancer, they are very good quality.
I agree. Sanding is much better than tape. AND, the Dubro is great!

Last edited:
No because I'm in the UK so I bought a Phantom rod that's very similar. The one in the link was recommended by the guy that made this particular video.

wow that makes me nervous to do, especially having to do a minimum of 4x... scared im going to just ruin the props lol

Props are easy to balance, just go slow. The best part of doing it with tape is that you can undo any mistakes easily. If sanding you can't undo your work.

If you have never don't it, try using tape first to be sure you understand the process.

Even clear mylar tape can be used, like scotch brand, or electrical vinyl tape which is much heavier so you must use smaller pieces. Before using tape, clean prop with alcohol first so the tape will stick well.

The dubro balancer is not just plastic with V grooves. There are rotating wheels that support the rod to minimize friction.

Strange that I found my silver props consistently more out of balance than my black props. Any one else see this also?

Last edited:
No because I'm in the UK so I bought a Phantom rod that's very similar. The one in the link was recommended by the guy that made this particular video.

Ian, I just wanted to say thank you very much for your brilliance on this subject. I took your advice and I am 100% satisfied. IMG_1170.JPG

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44