Solo or Autel XSP?

Reaction score
Hey Guys,
I really like the open platform, but it sure seems like a lot of tinkering is required to obtain things we take for granted such as: acceptable GPS signals and Glonass capabilities. I need a durable and reliable platform for my inspection business and I really like the Solo, but how does it compare to the Autel XSP (another dang DJI clone). As an ol' motor head I like to upgrade my equipment, but advanced electronics is not my thing. Also, after reading all of the forums, it appears that there is debate on how long 3DR is going to support their consumer drone side of the business. Is this an accurate conclusion?
I know I'll probably get pummeled for this thread, and it certainly isn't meant to offend. As a retired public servant, I'm pretty thick skinned though.

OK...let me have it!

Thanks!

We can't say where anyone's support will be in the future. However today the 3dr warranty and support is unmatched for the price. Solo also has a huge support group which does allow the ol' motor head to dive inside of the Solo as they see fit. It is a open box as opposed to a you can't touch it box.

I've owned a Solo for a year now. I find it unmatched for automated moves. Today I was out doing vertical Ziplines, Pano's and MPCC; I still don't feel there is anything out there to match Solo.

I have 11" props on my Solo and I get a solid 15-16 minute flight time with better stability than stock. I installed the new GPS shield but TBH I never had an issue with GPS before.

A lot depends on what you intend to do? If you are going to rely heavily on complex automated moves Solo is better IMO. If you are going to waft around like a balloon with a camera the Autel looks likes a good deal. The Autel has longer flight times, a good camera and possibly a more secure future. 3DR's customer support has been second to none in my experience; however, we have to wonder about their future.

Reactions: DrJugband
Thanks for the input guys. I do indeed like the automated flight capabilities.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

I own too many birds as it is, so will probably never try the Autel. I do read a lot of raving reviews about the craft and the customer service. With that said, I love my 3 Solos and their automated cinematic capabilities. Add a long range antenna and it's a fantastic all-around platform. Tough sucker too!

Reactions: Lon Snyder
It looks many of the issues can be corrected with a little tinkering. Now, if we can figure out a way to squeeze out 5 minutes more on the battery....so close, yet so far. Some of the warehouses we inspect are 500,000 sf.

It looks many of the issues can be corrected with a little tinkering. Now, if we can figure out a way to squeeze out 5 minutes more on the battery....so close, yet so far. Some of the warehouses we inspect are 500,000 sf.
What are you looking for in inspection? Pixel resolution?. You should be able to get 0.25" resolution on a 1,000,000 foot building on one battery. Again what are you trying to do and final product.

It depends on the situation but it could include photos or videos of the firefighter access roadways and or obstructions on the exterior. Possibly locate and document fire hydrants. If I can stay LOS and hone my skills, I may need to take a close-up photo of the FM or UL label on the smoke and heat vents located on the roof.
Thanks

Reactions: Burkeam
It depends on the situation but it could include photos or videos of the firefighter access roadways and or obstructions on the exterior. Possibly locate and document fire hydrants. If I can stay LOS and hone my skills, I may need to take a close-up photo of the FM or UL label on the smoke and heat vents located on the roof.
Thanks

Ok, more then a simple high res Orthomosaic done on a survey. I see your point on more battery life however please consider is time goes on I'd plan mission for not using full battery life. If you can drain them to 30% and put them back in the case is a nice way to preserve battery life. I wish the Solo had a supercap or small battery that would hold power on for 10 second, allowing a hot swap of batteries. As of now we lose two minutes to reconnect.

Reactions: SteveReno
Ok, more then a simple high res Orthomosaic done on a survey. I see your point on more battery life however please consider is time goes on I'd plan mission for not using full battery life. If you can drain them to 30% and put them back in the case is a nice way to preserve battery life. I wish the Solo had a supercap or small battery that would hold power on for 10 second, allowing a hot swap of batteries. As of now we lose two minutes to reconnect.
Burkeam, just out of curiosity, why the long swap time? When I had my solo I only had one battery so I don't know what takes so long to get back in the air when switching batteries.

Hey Guys,
I really like the open platform, but it sure seems like a lot of tinkering is required to obtain things we take for granted such as: acceptable GPS signals and Glonass capabilities. I need a durable and reliable platform for my inspection business and I really like the Solo, but how does it compare to the Autel XSP (another dang DJI clone). As an ol' motor head I like to upgrade my equipment, but advanced electronics is not my thing. Also, after reading all of the forums, it appears that there is debate on how long 3DR is going to support their consumer drone side of the business. Is this an accurate conclusion?
I know I'll probably get pummeled for this thread, and it certainly isn't meant to offend. As a retired public servant, I'm pretty thick skinned though.

OK...let me have it!

Thanks!
When your intend is for business, you need a reliable vehicle with predicable performance. For now, there is no such ready made machine available unless you know how to modify and do the maintenance yourself.

Solo is APM based quad, APM is opensource and has been around for few years. There groups of developers use APM drones doing amazing things. So if you select Solo and site scan for survey, you are in good company . That said, please be info, site scan is not restricted to Solo. Although it is reasonable priced, there are better options depending what type of survey you are targeting.

Reactions: Clint57
Burkeam, just out of curiosity, why the long swap time? When I had my solo I only had one battery so I don't know what takes so long to get back in the air when switching batteries.
Wish I knew. Please tell me there is an oversight work around. Mine is "waiting to connect to solo". When it comes alive I take a shot on the gopro before it times out and GPS is alive. It is always for more than 60 secs and maybe only feels like 2 minutes. I always have 5 batteries in the case.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apicasso