Solo Navigation Lights

Reaction score
Is there a way to permanently disable the built-in navigation LEDs? Maybe disconnecting one of the wires connecting to each motorpod or editing a file? I am able to use Solex to turn them off for each flight, but I want them off permanently.

I have installed my own brighter outward facing LEDs with kits available from Even Designs: Hobby LEDs

Front Legs Red and Green sm.jpgRear Legs Strobe White sm.jpgTop Solid Lower Strobe sm.jpg

Programatically, no.

I believe one of the numerous wires going to the motor pods is the 5v power for the LEDs. That is what you would have to cut. But I'm not aware of anything documenting which is which. I wouldn't do it.

Some black tape inside the lenses will get the job done.

Reactions: jimloss
Thanks. I saw a 3D print file for flat covers to replace the existing covers. Maybe I'll print those in black and do like you said - just cover them up.

This thread maybe useful, if you haven't already seen it... Bypassing Solo Motor Pods / ESC's A little reverse engineering is discussed regarding leds.
With info from the thread that you provided I was able to learn and test - even with the 8-pin connector unplugged, the LEDs light. It doesn't look like disconnecting a wire in the 8-pin connector will turn off the LEDs. I'm going to try flying without the LED covers. If I still don't like it, I'll cover the LEDs.

With info from the thread that you provided I was able to learn and test - even with the 8-pin connector unplugged, the LEDs light. It doesn't look like disconnecting a wire in the 8-pin connector will turn off the LEDs. I'm going to try flying without the LED covers. If I still don't like it, I'll cover the LEDs.
You could smash them with a hammer..or use a small paint brush to paint over the LEDs. Use Plastidip and you can remove it later if you change your mind.
(..you can thank me later:eek:)

Jimloss, I believe I have stumbled on the answer you are looking for. I posted a thread a few weeks about about one of my PODs not showing the color red. Well, the culprit is a tiny resistor that I believe I accidentaly knicked off when shaving the 3 plastic posts to access the motor. Take a look at the pictures and you´ll see that there are three of those little guys on each POD. I believe one is for each color for the RGB LEDs.

Since you are looking for a permanent fix, that should do it. Please let me know how it goes for you.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc