Solo Long Range Antenna

One thing I dont know if I mentioned in your other thread. The solo looses connectivity easy with pitch. If you fly into a headwind its hard to get distance if its dancing around.

When you get out to where lose connectivity and it starts to RTH hit fly and try again but limit your speed to about 10mph trying to keep the solo flatter.

One thing I dont know if I mentioned in your other thread. The solo looses connectivity easy with pitch. If you fly into a headwind its hard to get distance if its dancing around.

When you get out to where lose connectivity and it starts to RTH hit fly and try again but limit your speed to about 10mph trying to keep the solo flatter.

Thank you for all your help. 3DR world is new to me. I do like it and just completed a nice flight out to around 900-1000 feet at another location so there must be something here causing the interference. Maybe the FPVLR antenna will help me get out there to the edges of the farm. If it doesnt oh well I still like the solo.

Figured I would have my Itelite panel by now from DBSmods. His email stated 2 to 3 days, additional time for Solo customization. Been a week now.

Figured I would have my Itelite panel by now from DBSmods. His email stated 2 to 3 days, additional time for Solo customization. Been a week now.

Got mine in two days from when I got his email. You may want to call. A clover leaf antenna on the Solo would do wonders for range, unfortunately have to crack it open to do that. I just got the DBS and will see how they work. Not too worried about serious range just want a rock solid signal.

May do that tomorrow. I had the Solo treatment so he said it would take an extra day or 2.

Got mine in two days from when I got his email.

Same here - two days from Florida to California.

THE DBSMods antenna has been fabulous, much better connection here around my wifi congested neighborhood (with a cell tower close by, to boot) and I've had a chance to take her out to the open and fly WAY beyond anything I would ever need for my purposes -- and with plenty of signal strength left over.

Raybro, you'll be VERY happy with this when it arrives.

Reactions: Raybro
Did some night flying yesterday to capture some thunderstorms and decided to make a long run. Turns out you can still have a visual on the bird a mile out.
I could have went further as I still had a bar left right before I stopped going out. When I stopped the signal dropped a little. I'm guessing I could have probably went another half mile past the mile. Also had plenty of battery left. It was at 94% at liftoff.

Screenshot_2015-08-04-21-20-53.jpg

Reactions: rrmccabe
I just swapped over to the DBS antenna last night. I got about 1300' with it (@ 350' up). This is from a park in a suburban neighborhood, so there is some Wifi congestion and I was also very near to cell towers.
I landed and swapped back to stock antennas and was only getting 900'. So there was improvement, but not a ton.

I used an Insignia cell phone mount to mount the DBS antenna to the controller. Worked surprisingly well with no physical modification to the controller or the antenna. Not exactly pretty, but functional and adjustable.

Well keep practicing with the DBS. It is directional so you need to be more aware of pointing.

Regardless from 900' that is almost 50% more range if you went 1300".

Well keep practicing with the DBS. It is directional so you need to be more aware of pointing.

Regardless from 900' that is almost 50% more range if you went 1300".

Agreed. And I'm sure there are a lot of factors that play into it. I was literally piloting 100' out from a cell tower, which I would imagine has consequences. And at the same location on a previous day, I hit 1100' with stock antennas. Not disappointed with the DBS. Would love to test it out in a less congested area once I get a chance.

Amazing what WiFi connection does with the Solo. Crazy stuff.

I am using the FPVLR from Tony and just got it yesterday. Considerably farther range. Good enough for me, I like having it because I don't have to be so concerned about losing connection. Money well spent in my opinion!

How far? Even though I'm getting a 1 mile + right now I'm wanting to go ahead and get either the FPVLR or DBS. We have an event coming up were the FAA has dropped some restrictions with one of them being the 400' altitude limit :D

I am using the FPVLR from Tony and just got it yesterday. Considerably farther range. Good enough for me, I like having it because I don't have to be so concerned about losing connection. Money well spent in my opinion!
Tony makes a good product. Enjoy!

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

Reactions: FPVLR
How far? Even though I'm getting a 1 mile + right now I'm wanting to go ahead and get either the FPVLR or DBS. We have an event coming up were the FAA has dropped some restrictions with one of them being the 400' altitude limit :D
I was getting about 600-800 feet from home around 250-300ft up on the stock. Now I'm getting about 1,200 feet from home before RTH

Reactions: aggravated...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
frank2000