Solo LED Head Light and Tail Light

Note: SOLO will NOT fit into the 3DR backpack with the lights installed! Found out the hard way. :-(

Reactions: J R
Note: SOLO will NOT fit into the 3DR backpack with the lights installed! Found out the hard way. :-(

David,

Now that's a real bummer! Didn't even give it a thought prior to reading your post. I just assumed that it would. I guess we'll have to start being more prudent about vetting these new accessories before purchasing them. These birds are designed to be mobile, for me losing mobility is a no go. I haven't received mine yet but they're probably not going on my bird now. Damn! Thanks for the heads-up!

Jerry

David,

Now that's a real bummer! Didn't even give it a thought prior to reading your post. I just assumed that it would. I guess we'll have to start being more prudent about vetting these new accessories before purchasing them. These birds are designed to be mobile, for me losing mobility is a no go. I haven't received mine yet but they're probably not going on my bird now. Damn! Thanks for the heads-up!

Jerry
Since the lights snap on so easily, couldn't you just solder a quick connect adapter? You could then maybe slide the lights in a pocket or somewhere. Can't really expect case manufacturers to accommodate for unknown accessories and still fit snugly and maintain portability. I was able to modify my GPC hard case to accept the controller with FPVLR attached so that I didn't have to disconnect. But it is a little bigger than a backpack.

They come off and go back on pretty easily so I just snap off the lights and put them underneath SOLO when traveling. What I should have said was do that 1st BEFORE trying to put SOLO into the molded styrofoam.

Can't really expect case manufacturers to accommodate for unknown accessories and still fit snugly and maintain portability.

Jubalr,

For the first time ever, I disagree with you. (I hate even saying it!) These manufacturers are, or at least should be, aware that the equipment they are manufacturing is for a portable device and should design their products with that in mind. This particular product is a "Solo only" product and I don't know anyone that doesn't have a case for portability. The manufacturer should have at least provided a method to easily remove the device without potential damage for portability sake. Just my opinion, of course.

Jerry

Jubalr,

For the first time ever, I disagree with you. (I hate even saying it!) These manufacturers are, or at least should be, aware that the equipment they are manufacturing is for a portable device and should design their products with that in mind. This particular product is a "Solo only" product and I don't know anyone that doesn't have a case for portability. The manufacturer should have at least provided a method to easily remove the device without potential damage for portability sake. Just my opinion, of course.

Jerry
Understood. But are you talking about the lights manuf. or case? It was the case manufacturers I was referring to. They can't possibly design a case for 3rd party accessories that come out over time.

I just got my backpack a couple of days ago, and I tried Solo with the lights on, and I got it in fine. The front sits a bit higher, but I don't think it will be a problem. If they were to become a problem, I would do as David does, and just remove them when putting Solo back in. I really like the lights, and think the little extra effort is worth it.

Understood. But are you talking about the lights manuf. or case? It was the case manufacturers I was referring to. They can't possibly design a case for 3rd party accessories that come out over time.

Jubalr,

Correct, I'm talking about Polar Pro in this instance. Even if they are just using the "authorized" Solo backpack as the reference. The FPLVR is a fair example, although the RC won't fit properly in the backpack with it installed (unless modification is done), it's very easily removed many times over for those that don't want to modify the backpack.

Jerry

Got mine today and they don't work at all. I assume as soon as you power the bird up they should come on. Tried even putting the bird in the air just to check. Although the connections look frail they do appear to be soldered on correctly. Guess they're going back.

Jerry

Just an FYI, I did receive an email from Polar Pro today asking if I wanted a new one sent or a refund. IMHO, a responce in a day or so is pretty good service these days.

Jerry

Reactions: Maddog
Flew today in bright sun (Florida), at about 300' out and about 80 alt, could barely see the lights. At about 500' out couldn't see them at all, very bright, sunny day, no clouds, UV index estimate 9 or 10

Reactions: Maddog
There is no on/off switch. The lights come on when Solo is turned on, and go off on shut down. For now, I just taped the wires to the bottom of Solo, and it makes it look cleaner. I will come up with a better fix later on. The only way you can see them is if you turned the bird upside down.

Could someone tell me which pins on the connector this is wired to? I have the connector but don't know which pins to use.

Flew today in bright sun (Florida), at about 300' out and about 80 alt, could barely see the lights. At about 500' out couldn't see them at all, very bright, sunny day, no clouds, UV index estimate 9 or 10
I figured they would not be very visible in daylight.

Hey, just wanted to let you guys know that Dan over at Polar Pro got back to me and offered me a complete refund. No questions asked. I've got all that I need to send it back but I might not just because this guy was for real. Anyway, it does appear to me that Polar Pro stands behind their products, at least in my case.

I'm feeling a little like a shill but we've got to stand behind the guys that are supporting us in a fair and equitable manner.

Jerry

Reactions: Chuck
I am with you on that. They answered all of my many questions before I ordered them, and then kept me up to date when their containers with the first shipment of the lights were delayed. I am very impressed with their customer service.

Reactions: J R
I'm not sure how many of you will be interested in this but thought I'd share it with you. As previously noted my Solo Lights did not work. Polar Pro was great about it and got me a credit right away, hat's off to them. I still wanted to find some relatively inexpensive way to get a little light going. I tried several variations, none of which worked very well. I finally decided to try something a bit different. I found an inexpensive pen light (Amazon.com: Welltop® Mini AA Flashlights Pocket Torch CREE XP-E R3 LED lights with Lanyard EDC Torch Cap Light Use AA Battery Black: Sports & Outdoors), I didn't get it here but this is the same light. I think I paid $8.00 each for them.

I knew it would look a bit off but figured I'd give it a shot anyway. They had the highest listed lumens (105) that I could find in the smallest and lightest frame (I weighed them out at just short of 2 oz each). I knew that I would have to counterbalance them which I did by stacking 1/4 oz lead wheel weights, 4 oz total to the rear legs. So I added a total of 8 oz. I was quite surprised by the light these things threw off. This was just a first test using something like this but they do appear to work fairly well. The weather has been pretty bad here so I wasn't able to do any real testing but hope to do so soon. The bird did fly well on the little test that I did do. Here are some pics and a short video.

Jerry

SoloLight-01.JPG SoloLight-02.JPG SoloLight-05.JPG SoloLight-07.JPG

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44