Solo hardware

Reaction score
So I don't know what others have experienced with gimbals/feet in shots but I've had a horrible time with legs ruining shots and other bad stuff happening.

Anywho, I have some experience building stuff but I thought I'd get some input here before I finalize a design. Once I choose an option (or if someone has a guide that's worked) I'll make it and post about it here if nobody else has already made it.

Option 1: wide legs
This would be a set of wider legs attached to the same anchor points (likely slightly offset to be aft of the camera) or cantilevered through the open spaces in the existing legs (which would then be cut). I did something like this a few years ago when I built this one quad and it worked. Drawbacks are potential changes in weight and rotational inertia. Benefits are easier editing (especially with wider shots) and better looking stuff in wind.

Option 2: no legs + landing rails
The idea here would be to either take off the front legs and move the compass to the back or to take off all of the legs and make some sort of springy/whiplike antenna and compass holder assembly (which would make landing on rails safer). Then make a pair of collapsible (aluminum?) bows with webbing to land on and some feet. This also solves the leg problem and because the legs weigh so little I don't think there would be flight issues. Potential problems could be with antenna issues that arise from moving them into more interference plus there's the additional weight of the landing system.

Option 3: retracts
I've made these before with servos but I don't know anything about triggering stuff using the Solo accessory port so I'd need another radio or some more hardware. In addition more weight means more power draw even if the legs are light. This is the mose expensive option but possibly the most robust (and cool looking obviously). The nice thing about retracts is you can put any kind of feet on them and you don't need to worry about the shot. Ex: skids for sand or snow, longer legs for tall grass and stuff and whatever else you want.

Let me know if anyone has opinions or tips and if I figure something out I'll keep you posted. I'm getting a knee surgery in a week so I'm gonna have a lot of time on my hands to work on this!

Here's how to do the retractable landing gear and use the pause button (long hold) to trigger: RETRACTS!! - Hackster.io

There is an option 4 that has nothing to do with modifying the solo itself; get a different lens with a narrower FOV, like the 3.97. I haven't had a leg in the shot since installing and I shoot in wide mode for everything to use the full sensor.

Here's how to do the retractable landing gear and use the pause button (long hold) to trigger: RETRACTS!! - Hackster.io

There is an option 4 that has nothing to do with modifying the solo itself; get a different lens with a narrower FOV, like the 3.97. I haven't had a leg in the shot since installing and I shoot in wide mode for everything to use the full sensor.

I considered that but unfortunately I don't have the funds for that and also don't want to risk modifying the GoPro. Also, I don't know if you're familiar with GoPro awards, but I don't know if they would accept content generated with a modified GoPro so if I want that option available I need to work around the problem I have.

No idea about "gopro awards". Are people removing the fisheye before submitting? Color correcting?

That was another huge thing with the 3.97 - no more fisheye. It kills several birds with one stone. Yeah, it's not cheap, but really the best way to go. No legs, no fisheye, superior image quality. Peau will warranty the modified gopro too, and even replace it if solo crashes (through fault of solo) and 3dr replaces it under warranty.

GoPro awards are $$$ and stuff but you submit the raw files unless it's an edit in which case I'm not sure.

Sounds like a great deal from Peau though. When I get my second GoPro warrantied it's an option I'd like to explore.

Somebody makes a mod that allows the front legs to slide out wider but I can't remember who.

I have an unmodified GoPro and shoot with medium FOV. I rarely have legs show up in the shot. I find that yawing too aggressively will get the legs in the shot.

What settings are you using? Are the legs showing up in smart shots or just flying manually?

Legs show up because the gimbal sometimes decides not to point straight. I've done every calibration and made sure the wires are routed correctly. No luck.

I shoot 2.7k 60 medium.

Also prob just gonna make legs since I can.

"Correctly" like nothing is clipping the pan motor
Well then, if the hdmi or data cables are pulling, pushing, resting or pressing on the gimbal in any way, then you can experience what you've described.

A quick eval to see if your gimbal is straight, lay the bird on it's back without the GoPro installed. The "V" notch plate on the gimbal arm should bisect the centerline of the bird. If it is off line then you have a cable pulling at the gimbal, which would likely be the HDMI cable.

You don't by chance have the HDMI cable behind the post type of install?

Reactions: Solo Keith
Nope, everything was as it should have been. This is somewhat of a moot point since the gimbal in question is now a twisted piece of scrap but I'd like my bases covered when I get a new Solo.

I can 3D print legs that are actually angle back a little bit and never get in the shot.

I can 3D print legs that are actually angle back a little bit and never get in the shot.
Have you ever thought of 3D printing a set of landing skids that would connect the rear legs to the front legs, like dji ?

Have you ever thought of 3D printing a set of landing skids that would connect the rear legs to the front legs, like dji ?
What would the benefit be?
This is one of many YouTubes where flotation was added to the DJI skids for water take off and landing. Of course, with Solo you can forget about waterborne take off, but water landing or even water crashing with flotation would be nice.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Reactions: Jubalr

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pvt solo