Solo=Happy neighbors /Positive encounter for a change

Reaction score
Sorry to see some folks getting pushback from their communities or law enforcement recently over the dreaded "drones" but thankfully I've had the opposite reaction the past couple weeks.

Solo actually seems to be a bit of a celebrity around my neighborhood latley to my suprise. I live in a suburb in Cincinnati Ohio it's wooded and there's not houses everywhere but still there are plenty around. Being in the Midwest and also by far the youngest homeowners around me I've been trying to keep solo up a few hundred feet unless above my property to avoid people getting upset. Tonight I found out that's not necessary in yet another area nearby. Most folks around here are retired and I just got a third positive visit from a neighbor she said her husband has Parkinson's and a bit of dementia and just loves my solo. Apparently he waits and asks her where the "drone" is most nights if I don't have a chance to fly and she asked if I could come over to her much more open yard and fly it some nights cause he's always loved planes and choppers and loves watching it. She's the third curious neighbor of only about 5 close enough to be worried about to be great about my flying and just moving here last year this actually is how were first meeting since they rarely come out.

I thought oh $&it when I saw her coming then she began telling me about her husbands conditions and saying "when you fly over our way" uh oh but then said "he gets so exited when he sees it" and I sighed with relief. I've never even seen them until tonight, just wanted to post a story about people curious that have been exited and enjoyed this new tech instead of being terrified and paranoid like so many right now. My other neighbors have raved about how much more they like solo over my other quad and how it looks like a real craft not a toy, and they enjoy watching it and have no problems with it at all.

Sorry this is kinda off topic but thought it's better to read than stories of another ticket, complaint, or idiot being an idiot. If you've had similar stories or used yours for positive or useful things feel free to post them here and try to balance the bad posts we've seen recently.

Fly Safe
Andrew Dimuzio

Reactions: Rsfitz
I live in the honeymoon capital of the world Niagara Falls Ontario Canada..so we have a pretty high volume of tourist around are major land marks! And the land marks that we have is the footage I want!
So When I went down there to set up my Solo to start taking footage of the falls and the Niagara Gorge .. I was surrounded by tourist right away..they were so amazed to see this amazing Quadcopter..I let my Solo hovering about 6 feet in front of them in a safe distance while they were all taking turns asking me all kinds of questions about it and taking lots of picture of it !! there were so all amazed and so Curious ..they all thought I was a professional photographer lol
It was fun chatting With these tourist about the new Solo and
I ended up burning a hole batterie just staying at 6 feet answering all there questions.. Thank got I had a full charge on my spare ! And then I did what I originally went down there to do..Is to take great aerial footage !
I had a great day.. Just thought I would also share!

Here is some pics and one YouTube video I did with my Solo!

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

I live in the honeymoon capital of the world Niagara Falls Ontario Canada..so we have a pretty high volume of tourist around are major land marks! And the land marks that we have is the footage I want!
So When I went down there to set up my Solo to start taking footage of the falls and the Niagara Gorge .. I was surrounded by tourist right away..they were so amazed to see this amazing Quadcopter..I let my Solo hovering about 6 feet in front of them in a safe distance while they were all taking turns asking me all kinds of questions about it and taking lots of picture of it !! there were so all amazed and so Curious ..they all thought I was a professional photographer lol
I ended up burning a hole batterie just staying at 6 feet answering all there questions.. Thank got I had a full charge on my spare ! And then I did what I originally went down there to do..Is to take great aerial footage !

View attachment 745 View attachment 744 View attachment 746
Awsome pictures!

Sorry to see some folks getting pushback from their communities or law enforcement recently over the dreaded "drones" but thankfully I've had the opposite reaction the past couple weeks.

Solo actually seems to be a bit of a celebrity around my neighborhood latley to my suprise. I live in a suburb in Cincinnati Ohio it's wooded and there's not houses everywhere but still there are plenty around. Being in the Midwest and also by far the youngest homeowners around me I've been trying to keep solo up a few hundred feet unless above my property to avoid people getting upset. Tonight I found out that's not necessary in yet another area nearby. Most folks around here are retired and I just got a third positive visit from a neighbor she said her husband has Parkinson's and a bit of dementia and just loves my solo. Apparently he waits and asks her where the "drone" is most nights if I don't have a chance to fly and she asked if I could come over to her much more open yard and fly it some nights cause he's always loved planes and choppers and loves watching it. She's the third curious neighbor of only about 5 close enough to be worried about to be great about my flying and just moving here last year this actually is how were first meeting since they rarely come out.

I thought oh $&it when I saw her coming then she began telling me about her husbands conditions and saying "when you fly over our way" uh oh but then said "he gets so exited when he sees it" and I sighed with relief. I've never even seen them until tonight, just wanted to post a story about people curious that have been exited and enjoyed this new tech instead of being terrified and paranoid like so many right now. My other neighbors have raved about how much more they like solo over my other quad and how it looks like a real craft not a toy, and they enjoy watching it and have no problems with it at all.

Sorry this is kinda off topic but thought it's better to read than stories of another ticket, complaint, or idiot being an idiot. If you've had similar stories or used yours for positive or useful things feel free to post them here and try to balance the bad posts we've seen recently.

Fly Safe
Andrew Dimuzio
I haven't had any negative encounters yet and my neighbors don't seem to mind me flying it around the neighborhood. Most of the time I fly it out away from town and back, When I fly it in the neighborhood I follow the streets.

Attachments

• G0090931.JPG
    G0090931.JPG
    988.4 KB · Views: 7
Reactions: Adimuzio513
Thanks Raybro....I never knew I was ever able to take pics like this until I got a Solo .. it's a hole new world now !! And loving it!!

Happy flying
Same here!

View attachment 745 View attachment 744 View attachment 746

Nice shots man that's as good a place to film as most any I've seen. Definitley need to raise my travel budget and lower my quad one in 2016.

Yea I never took stills until solo now I rarely fly with video only, at first I had a flickering issue and vid plus pics mode fixed it. Since the gopro update flickers gone but I still can't stop with the stills.

Reactions: Del
I'm glad people are having positive experiences. I unfortunately didn't this last Thursday evening.

I was in Edmonton at one of the parks - about 40 min away on highway from the city and away from built up and populated areas in a remote area.

After flying for only about 13 min over the lake away from people, I was accosted by a man who suddenly appeared, aggressively swore at me to go away, said I was disturbing his enjoyment of the park and that I was flying illegally in a park. He invaded my space, swiped at and hit my tablet while I was bringing Solo back in to land, and chased me around threatening with his fist to punch me while my Solo was still hovering in the air. He threatened to smash my "dangerous toy to bits". I kept him preoccupied chasing me, avoiding his crazy aggression as I landed Solo away and behind him. He still wouldn't let up and I called police. At that time, a man and a woman who were relatively far away but had been watching on the beach with their children came over to help. The aggressive man left after some discussion and went across the field behind the beach to the parking lot - and then came back again! I had to call the police again to make him leave. He finally walked back to his car and drove away.

Several minutes later a younger guy rode up on his bike and once again started telling me I was flying illegally, that I needed a permit to fly there and he knew because he flew multirotors for CTV.

I think he was a relative or friend of the other man. He had seen the Solo flying from the children's campsite (which was over 1200ft away from me). I advised him I had already called the police and the other man had tried to assault me. He appeared to be dismayed by the fact that police had been called but would not stop with the accusation that I wasn't allowed to fly there. I assured him I didn't require permission, I was flying over water away from people and as a recreational flyer, wasn't required to submit for a license or permit in Canada. He refused to look up any of the information and after a good 10 minutes of him harassing me , including accusing me of potentially giving away footage for commercial uses and flying without a permit (his comments seem to reveal he thought I was taking work away from him) I told him to go away. I told him the police knew exactly what I had been doing and they were on their way.

Ultimately I packed up and left.

It was a harrowing experience...I kept my cool to protect my property and not be involved in an altercation but I've been frustrated and angry that people think it's ok to come and threaten, harass and assault others.

I'm not much of an activist but it makes me really want to actively look for ways to support the hobby and keep these nuts and hysterical people from making it impossible for us to all enjoy our freedom of rights.

I've never insisted on flying anywhere. Anyone expressing discomfort to me has always resulted in me respecting the fact that this technology is new and being considerate is good for the hobby. It frustrates me that these crazy people on comment forums of drone articles threaten violence and destruction of property. The fact that I was accosted makes those comments that much more real.

Last edited:
Yea some folks are a bit out of control glad to hear you were able to keep your composure and be the bigger person. I'd like to think I'd do the same but being threatened and having my high dollar equipment and myself in harms way I'd of probably had a hard time myself. Sounds like it's likley these guys were likley to be doing some illegal things of their own off the beaten path to get this worked up over you flying. I'd almost bet they were growing and or doing something illegal drug related in one way or another but that's from experience here in a very high crime drug riddled area of the U.S. Good luck and hope things get easier for you up there.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dachl