solo flipped

Reaction score
I was throttle fully down, for try to landing. So solo was touched ground still throttle down, but solo wasn't stop motor and suddenly throttle up and flipped.

Anyone can check my log?

Attachments

• LOG.zip
    1.4 MB · Views: 6
Kim,
Wait for more senior members to analyze.
What I see is the motors speed up ( current value up ) while you already down the throttle.

You land manual or auto ?
MSK solo flipped.JPG

Kim,
Wait for more senior members to analyze.
What I see is the motors speed up ( current value up ) while you already down the throttle.

You land manual or auto ?
View attachment 2930

Land manually.

Because after take off, solo was moving fast strange direction then I tried to move controller stick to counter position.

So I think just put auto land(FLY button) It will keep move strange position. then I land it manually.

In your attached image, what is my throttle position? I don't know how to analyze logㅜㅜ

Your throttle is the red one, it is near zero when the motor current for reason unknown goes all the way to 50 amps ( written as 50,000 ) that blue graph.
I can't read logs well too, but these two are easy to understand. So there is a "gremlin" in your Solo which power the motors without any command.
I try to learn of all these potential problems, so that I won't get the same :)
Best to submit ticket to 3DR and see how...

Reactions: David8477
here I make easy to read graph for u......... so that the hill n valley seems closer ...LOL
Attached the excel file. Its CURR data taken out of your Log.
The value 0 to 60 represents AMPS and also voltage.
The throttle value I divide by 25, so that it will fit the amperage value better visually........its all linear.

easier to read graph.JPG

Attachments

• MSK solo flipped-excel.zip
    61.4 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Reactions: Min Soo Kim
here I make easy to read graph for u......... so that the hill n valley seems closer ...LOL
Attached the excel file. Its CURR data taken out of your Log.
The value 0 to 60 represents AMPS and also voltage.
The throttle value I divide by 25, so that it will fit the amperage value better visually........its all linear.

View attachment 2932

How do you think about this situation?
Is it solo's fault? or pilot's fault?ㅜㅜ

When you landed manually, were you still in FLY mode? Or were you actually in FLY: MANUAL? You said it was drifting and acting strange, which sounds like GPS issues. If you didn't put it in Fly:Manual, it would have still been trying to use the GPS while you were descending by hand. It probably flipped for the same reason it was acting odd in the sky. I'm at work so I can't look at the logs. But I would see what the logs say about GPS in flight before landing.

Reactions: Jubalr
When you landed manually, were you still in FLY mode? Or were you actually in FLY: MANUAL? You said it was drifting and acting strange, which sounds like GPS issues. If you didn't put it in Fly:Manual, it would have still been trying to use the GPS while you were descending by hand. It probably flipped for the same reason it was acting odd in the sky. I'm at work so I can't look at the logs. But I would see what the logs say about GPS in flight before landing.
I find many new pilots confuse 'landing manually'. The assume if they don't press and hold 'Fly' to land and instead just reduce throttle while in Fly mode they are landing manually. Ever since I have been on here, I have tried to convince pilots to assign 'Manual' to A or B and use it for both landing and takeoff, as that will always be the most critical stages of flight.

Last edited:
Reactions: EyeWingsuit
Yep. For many many reasons, FLY:MANUAL should absolutely be set on one of the mode buttons. If your GPS is going wacky, you will need it. Even if you have no need for it in your normal flying and camera work.

When I first started landing the Solo like this, I made the same critical mistake. If you are still in FLY mode, and you use the left stick to land Solo...you are NOT landing manually. When you are in FLY mode, even if you touch the ground, and move the left stick all the way down, Solo's automatic leveling and GPS features are still active, and can override your throttle commands. It happened to me many times, causing flips.

Instead, program one of your presets to FLY:MANUAL. So this is what I do. While I'm still in FLY mode, I maneuver the Solo to about 10 feet off the ground, and close to where I want to land. I then switch to FLY:MANUAL, lower the throttle until Solo touches the ground, and hold it down to power off the motors. Since doing it that way, I have not had a single flip.

Reactions: Diving Santa
Kim,
Same questions as others, is your Solo programmed in ADVANCE MODE so that you can access MANUAL mode, I mean true MANUAL mode ? I have "A" button set as a true MANUAL. If you do not set in Advance Mode choosing MANUAL, you can never access MANUAL mode.....unless you loose GPS.

Looking at Kim's KMZ file, the only MANUAL ( Alt Hold ) was before take off. After that all auto.
The flight was only 13 seconds take off >>move 5.6 meters >>land, all auto/LOITER.
Altitude during only 3 meters above zero barometer.

Why such a short flight Kim ?
Try getting earlier log than no 64.

Did you walk for track 1 & 2, see below.
short flightv2.JPG

This is the actual flight
short flight.JPG

I did an altitude graph for you with multiplication of 10. So when u read altitude, remove the zero, 30 = 3 meters only.
This is for easier viewing the graph.

TAKE OFF, AUTO / LOITER
AUTO MODE for take off.JPG

This is landing, before Err CRASH CHECK-1
Landing was AUTO.JPG

Remember, I am no expert, I am also trying to learn more of the logs for my own knowledge.
I did recall the senior members talking of barometer getting prop wash.
The excel graph I matched the time line ( size ) to Mission Planner graph.
Attached the excel file.

Good luck.....

Attachments

• MSK solo flipped with baro data-excel.zip
    202.5 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Question,

If button A is programmed to "Manual" how do you change back to auto "FLY" mode?
Do you have to program button B to "FLY" mode?

Press FLY button and AUTO will resume. Me dummy and program B button as FLY AUTO.
But I will keep it that way as I find the FLY button dangerous...LOL.

When I first started landing the Solo like this, I made the same critical mistake. If you are still in FLY mode, and you use the left stick to land Solo...you are NOT landing manually. When you are in FLY mode, even if you touch the ground, and move the left stick all the way down, Solo's automatic leveling and GPS features are still active, and can override your throttle commands. It happened to me many times, causing flips.

Instead, program one of your presets to FLY:MANUAL. So this is what I do. While I'm still in FLY mode, I maneuver the Solo to about 10 feet off the ground, and close to where I want to land. I then switch to FLY:MANUAL, lower the throttle until Solo touches the ground, and hold it down to power off the motors. Since doing it that way, I have not had a single flip.

Tom,

Thanks for the explanation. I should have read my manual more thoroughly!!
I have always landed in FLY and wondered why SOLO is a bit jumpy at times when close to the ground. Some say it's "ground effects" and I thought was something I was doing wrong. I'll use this advice from now on!!!

Looking at Kim's KMZ file, the only MANUAL ( Alt Hold ) was before take off. After that all auto.
The flight was only 13 seconds take off >>move 5.6 meters >>land, all auto/LOITER.
Altitude during only 3 meters above zero barometer.

Why such a short flight Kim ?
Try getting earlier log than no 64.

Did you walk for track 1 & 2, see below.
View attachment 2939

This is the actual flight
View attachment 2940

I did an altitude graph for you with multiplication of 10. So when u read altitude, remove the zero, 30 = 3 meters only.
This is for easier viewing the graph.

TAKE OFF, AUTO / LOITER
View attachment 2941

This is landing, before Err CRASH CHECK-1
View attachment 2942

Remember, I am no expert, I am also trying to learn more of the logs for my own knowledge.
I did recall the senior members talking of barometer getting prop wash.
The excel graph I matched the time line ( size ) to Mission Planner graph.
Attached the excel file.

Good luck.....

Wow. you are very accurate! Thank you.
Yes. I'm doing very short flight.
Because after take off, I'm not doing any control with controller, but solo was moving unintended direction quite fast. so I tried to move controller stick to counter position and landing it immediately.

moreover I don't know why solo moving unintended direction.

Last edited:
Aha...u did press BRAKE too :) u know.

When you take off and altitude is low, the propeller wash will make drone unstable. This is why take off with a bit brute force for the first 5 meters is sometime safer than slow take off. More so if floor is solid concrete. I use to train myself with P1 for the heck of fun and hoover at 50cm above concrete, its difficult...unstable left-right movement alot. No GPS totally manual.

If I were you, and see instability.... I will throttle up to at least 10-15 meters, and then you do what you need to do.
Height is safety, because we have reaction time to work with, but surely if it crash it will be worse.... he he he.

Anyway next time allow more minutes stationary before take off so that barometer and gps stabilize more, hopefully will be better for you.

Safe flight next time..

As for setting A or B to FLY:Manual, I feel so strongly about it, I moved it to the top of the FAQ and even put it in my signature...

As for setting A or B to FLY:Manual, I feel so strongly about it, I moved it to the top of the FAQ and even put it in my signature...

Agreed! I've been pushing new pilots on that since June. And after they are comfortable with manual, try Stabilize. Solo will still maintain level attitude for them but they will now have to use the throttle to maintain altitude. By controlling altitude, they will notice that the Solo is much more responsive to altitude adjustments as you are now controlling power (RPM) directly to the motors. I use it when I am at altitude to come down quickly. A word of caution: until you get used to it, be at 10' or more when you engage Stabilize. The reason is that Solo actually hovers at over 1/2 stick of throttle. So if your left stick is at center when you engage Stabilize, it will start descending until you add throttle. It's a lot of fun and is how we used to fly these things before GPS and barometers. The more comfortable you are with doing the actual flying and being the pilot, the better equipped you will be to handle a lot of situations that can/will come up.

Reactions: Acroduster

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Minh44