Solo and equipment price reductions, what does it mean?

Reaction score
OK, So what does this mean for us? Are they busting out inventory to get rid of Solo, or are they pricing it better to compete with the others? I don't think they are trying to kill the Solo, many improvements have come out lately, and hopefully more are coming. I just wish they would drop the battery price and backpack price a little.

I though $400 for a gimbal was ridiculous. Maybe popular opinion changed their mind. I too wish they'd drop the battery price, but while we only need one gimbal, having multiple batteries is a must. Supply and demand.

Yes solo is doomed, 3DR is going out of business crushed by the DJI giants
Please dump all your 3DR stuff as quickly as you can to avoid loss as birds will soon start falling from the sky

PM me if you can sell you battery chargers cheap I need one

Reactions: Joe Horn
I figger they're bringing the overall costs of Solo down into the DJI/Yuneec/Syma range or an approximation thereof.
You know, whenever someone asks how much my "thingamajobber" cost me, they're not bothered by the grand Solo itself costs - but the fact another 400 bucks gets shelled out for the gimbal floors them! I'd imagine that high price could very well be a deal breaker for some folks starting out.
Could be 3DR thinks so, too...

It could also be that 9 months in they have covered tooling and R&D costs and are just doing a market price adjustment
Priced a Galaxy S5 lately?

Price helps position you in the market place.
if what you are saying is true why not just reduce the gimbal. Problem solved

Here is the other thing about the gimbal that the thingamabobber customer does not get, (they should buy a phantom)
an integrated gimbal controlled on an onboard computer tied to the flight controller is not the same as a FY Tech G3, or even a DJI gimbal for that matter.
totally different animal

I actually think the reduction is a good thing for us, keeping the total package at a grand is a lot easier for the flying thingy folks to swallow. They know very little of the computers, shots or what's better and keeping in line with competitors is needed for average sheeple to support the platform. More solos up in the air means more will be added on and made for solo just based on the returns they could see. I agree these folks may be better buying a phantom earlier on, but with the kinks out now if they buy solo it will help it stay relevant and keep third parties interested in development. Now with all the promises kept and solo nearing perfect, the dream of anyone getting great footage with little time invested is almost here. Yes phantoms a bit easier, but you can't get the autonomous "pro" footage as easy as with solo. Taking a few minutes to learn and practice the smart shots and your average Joe can really accidentally get some "pro" looking footage, which was their goal.

No worries solo is great and will only get better imo, with a product this good and a community backing it like this it's bound to keep doing very well. With Dji nearly giving p3s away 3dr was smart to drop the price to keep up. Since you can get pretty good footage even with a p3 standard at 500 bucks now they really had little choice since most folks don't really know a lot of what makes solo better.

Yes solo is doomed, 3DR is going out of business crushed by the DJI giants
Please dump all your 3DR stuff as quickly as you can to avoid loss as birds will soon start falling from the sky

PM me if you can sell you battery chargers cheap I need one
Hey, don't get me wrong, I am not giving up my Solo, just wish battery prices would come down.

It could also be that 9 months in they have covered tooling and R&D costs and are just doing a market price adjustment
Priced a Galaxy S5 lately?

Price helps position you in the market place.
if what you are saying is true why not just reduce the gimbal. Problem solved

Here is the other thing about the gimbal that the thingamabobber customer does not get, (they should buy a phantom)
an integrated gimbal controlled on an onboard computer tied to the flight controller is not the same as a FY Tech G3, or even a DJI gimbal for that matter.
totally different animal

Funny thing about the S5. My sister in law just got a S5 at Costco, and THEY PAID HER! OK I think she traded in a S4, but still!

Reactions: Rex Barlow
As manufacturing gets more efficient, costs go down. Agh the computer chip level, going from 20nm to 14nm process means more die on every wafer. At the circuit board level, better soldering means fewer reworks. And so on at each stage.

Better testing throughout lowers expenses invested in products that are already defective or worse customer returns.

Volume orders also help drive.costs down. Meanwhile, competition in the market is driving OUR cost down. DJI has had something on sale since November and it looks like Yuneec just dropped the price on their buy a GoPro version.

Now if it would just get around to batteries.

As manufacturing gets more efficient, costs go down. Agh the computer chip level, going from 20nm to 14nm process means more die on every wafer. At the circuit board level, better soldering means fewer reworks. And so on at each stage.

Better testing throughout lowers expenses invested in products that are already defective or worse customer returns.

Volume orders also help drive.costs down. Meanwhile, competition in the market is driving OUR cost down. DJI has had something on sale since November and it looks like Yuneec just dropped the price on their buy a GoPro version.

Now if it would just get around to batteries.
Batteries are 2 for the price of 1 THIS WEEKEND ONLY ! At checkout on the 3DR site, use FREE2NDBATTERY

batteries just dropped LOL there you go.

Maybe the new high performance ones are coming and they are clearing inventory
sorry could not help myself

LOL I know I just loaded up on Batteries when they were 116 on amazon
Oh well

I just want the replacement vehicles to get a price drop
would love to have a backup solo vehicle and gimbal in the kit

I suspect the FAA rules and all the negative press has impacted sales for both DJI and 3DR, and 3DR is aligning with current market prices. It used to be they couldn't make enough gimbals, now I bet they have too many.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr M