Zero AGL rollover... what happened?

haha...getting out of sequence.

So, the newest firmware actually prevents that stick combo from behaving as if it's flying? how does it determine "landed" status?
It does not prevent that stick movement/combo from flipping the Solo you must disarm in fly mode by pulling the left stick straight down on the Solo, it does test the Solo upon landing using different algorithms..it takes a few seconds longer to shut down also

Search Results for Query: solo flips landing | 3D Robotics Drone Forum
Recognizing, avoiding, and responding to botched landings

See my above post what firmware are you running?

I'm running stock firmware, on Arducopter 1.5.3 I think. I did make one firmware update since buying. TBH I've avoided the mods to avoid any downtime, but I'm planning on the update to opensolo soon. I also just bought a MRo GPS, sticking with the stock cube for now though.

Thanks for your help.

Reactions: XevetS
1.5.3 might have the newest landing detection built in?

Yup it does
Autopilot Firmware Upgrade from 1.3.1 to 1.5.3

Improved landing detection. This greatly improves the solo's ability to detect it has landed. In the past, it could get confused by a rough, fast, or jerky landing. This results in it refusing to disarm or and sometimes flipping over. The new landing detection algorithm is greatly enhances. You will notice it now takes and extra second or so to disarm once you're on the ground. And you may see a little switch in the throttle. It is literally testing the ground. It works quite nicely.

No. However you seemed to be under the impression that my flying was the issue and that flying and landing manually could somehow prepare me to not flip it on the ground after landing while trying to disarm the motors. I stated that I've flown helicopters with success to demonstrate that I'm not new to manual RC rotor flight. I still have much to learn about the more automated types though.
No impression that your flying was an issue.... your landing on the other hand... :p

So to take into account all of the other posts past this one.... the newer versions of the software improve the landing detection. It doesn't completely cancel out the chance of a bad landing, but does a lot to reduce it.
In this case you put the drone on the ground but the drone did not detect it had landed, so therefore, even though it was on the ground, it still had it's props spinning (although at a reduced rate). Even with a good landing, if you're pulling the left stick down and left to disarm, it will take a few seconds for the copter to disarm, this in itself is a safety feature. If it didn't take a few seconds to verify it's landed before disarming, the copter would disarm anytime someone reduced height while turning to the left (and that would be bad). However you landed and pushed both controls down and inwards. This caused the copter to want to do 3 things based on your stick inputs.

1: Descend
2: Turn right
3: Slide left

all at the same time. This is what caused the flip. If you had been in actual "manual" mode, these stick inputs would have caused the exact same thing.

The main flaw here is the fact that you did an improper motor shut down. If you had landed, pulled the left stick down and to the left and held it that way, the motors would have shut off.

Frankly I'd be happy with an extra covered toggle button on the controller as an "instant disarm". Solex does have this as an option that can be enabled (although not sure I'd want an instant kill on a touch screen controller). The other way to kill the motors is to hold down A + B and Pause (at the same time) when your bird is on the ground.

With the solo (and many other drones) the closer you get to the ground the less reliable your GPS signal can become. This means when using autoland, your drone can tend to drift about as it tries to lock in it's location. This can also cause a flip over if the drone is trying to land while moving about. This is why many people choose to land the drone on Manual Mode only. It's safer in the long run.

The main flaw here is the fact that you did an improper motor shut down. If you had landed, pulled the left stick down and to the left and held it that way, the motors would have shut off.

This is exactly it, which is why I posted looking for answers regarding the landed status test, etc. Thanks for all the insight, guys.

Z

Actually just holding left stick straight down stops the motors after a few seconds, it does not matter if you hold the stick to the left, but you can if you want to as that's the Ardupilot-Copter standard ...
I always land in Manual/Althold mode and always pull the left stick straight down just to program my muscle memory, and I have never had a failed landing using this technique...

Check out this interesting vid from @Vegasrobbi
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited:
Reactions: IrishmanPDX
This is why [manned] pilots use checklists when they switch between aircraft types. My landing was flawless until I tried to disarm with the DJI position. If I had stopped to think "what is the 3DR Solo disarm position?" all would have been well. But I am a creature of habit, as are my arms, legs, and fingers.

This is why [manned] pilots use checklists when they switch between aircraft types. My landing was flawless until I tried to disarm with the DJI position. If I had stopped to think "what is the 3DR Solo disarm position?" all would have been well. But I am a creature of habit, as are my arms, legs, and fingers.
I agree I did the exact same thing in the beginning with my solo sticks down and out guess what happened? I thought I was flying my Hubsan....Big mistake...

Last edited:
This is an amazingly long thread for this basic issue! I've had this happen to me twice, once in auto land and once holding the stick down, ie manual landing. After the auto land incident, I came on here and was told it was my fault for auto landing-a supposed feature of the Solo. Then after it happened during a manual landing, the answer was that I must have done something wrong as well. I've never had it happen with any other drone I currently own or have owned.

It blew my mind when it happened and I questioned everything I did but in the end I started covering the emergency stop buttons in auto land. I only had to use it a couple of times so I believe it's a fluke of sorts but definitely something to watch out for!

I will do autoland sometimes with the Solo but usually will take over control about 10 feet off the ground given that it's landing where I want it. I haven't tried autoland yet now that I've put Arducoper 3.5.4 on my Solo but may give that a go today. Weather here in Oklahoma is perfect for flying (84 degrees forecast high and I see no wind whatsoever).

I will do autoland sometimes with the Solo but usually will take over control about 10 feet off the ground given that it's landing where I want it. I haven't tried autoland yet now that I've put Arducoper 3.5.4 on my Solo but may give that a go today. Weather here in Oklahoma is perfect for flying (84 degrees forecast high and I see no wind whatsoever).

Yea the only reason I went back to auto was so I could better cover the emergency buttons. The weather in Michigan is good as well. In fact, I just got done flying a few minutes ago.

I think Autoland is fine once you are in an area where you have a good GPS lock (at ground level). Thing is, a lot of people fly their drone, look at the controller, see 18 or 19 sats, .6hdop and think "Wow, fantastic lock", but realize that may not be the case when you're nearer the ground and trying to land. You might get some bad positioning which can cause your drone to start to drift a bit and in autoland, that can easily result in a bad landing. Did you do anything wrong? Is it the drones fault? That depends on your outlook.

The simple fact is that while it would be nice for autoland to be just perfect, it's not. This is why many people choose to land in "manual" mode.

My outlook? If you use autoland and you have a bad landing, you can keep debating who's fault it is, you can spend all day arguing with yourself and others about it. However, if you land in "manual" mode and have a bad landing, that puts all arguments to rest and you know exactly who's fault it is! :D

I think Autoland is fine once you are in an area where you have a good GPS lock (at ground level). Thing is, a lot of people fly their drone, look at the controller, see 18 or 19 sats, .6hdop and think "Wow, fantastic lock", but realize that may not be the case when you're nearer the ground and trying to land. You might get some bad positioning which can cause your drone to start to drift a bit and in autoland, that can easily result in a bad landing. Did you do anything wrong? Is it the drones fault? That depends on your outlook.

The simple fact is that while it would be nice for autoland to be just perfect, it's not. This is why many people choose to land in "manual" mode.

My outlook? If you use autoland and you have a bad landing, you can keep debating who's fault it is, you can spend all day arguing with yourself and others about it. However, if you land in "manual" mode and have a bad landing, that puts all arguments to rest and you know exactly who's fault it is! :D

I know who's fault it is when autoland goes bad as well...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ihatethatihavetomakeanacc